Windows 10: Windows Apps folder is 128Gb with many duplicate folders - I NEED this space back!!!

Discus and support Windows Apps folder is 128Gb with many duplicate folders - I NEED this space back!!! in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; So something funky is going on with my Windows install. Wondering why I was running out of space with a 512GB drive, I found that 128 Gb of that is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by TobyRicketts, Oct 27, 2020.

1. Windows Apps folder is 128Gb with many duplicate folders - I NEED this space back!!!

So something funky is going on with my Windows install.

Wondering why I was running out of space with a 512GB drive, I found that 128 Gb of that is being used in the WindowsApps folder for: MS Edge 8.5Gb, Spotify 8.5Gb, Skype 8.5Gb, GameBar 8.5Gb, Python 8.5Gb, Python 3 8.5Gb, many of which are duplicated.

See disk map:

Windows Apps folder is 128Gb with many duplicate folders - I NEED this space back!!! d96722d4-c964-4242-a01d-d04d4d2e9c5a?upload=true.png

All the folders are an IDENTICAL size 8,589,934,592 bytes, which is far, far, far to large for the programs they say they are required for.

Does anyone have any idea: a why these ridiculously bloated install files are on my computer?

And b If I can go ahead and delete them while keeping the programs they reference installed.

I'd kinda like the hard drive space back!

Cheers, TR

:)

TobyRicketts, Oct 27, 2020

2. Duplicate Public Folders

Hope this helps someone identify the problem.

• Q: What happens when you delete the duplicate folders?
    • A: Nothing. They're successfully deleted.

• Q: Does it happen to all of your folders or only those with pictures?
      • A: Only the default Public Folders (Documents, Pictures, Music, Videos).
      • A: All of the Public Folders have customized folder icons.
      • A: The above image shows yellow, empty folder icons (duplicates).

• Q: Any steps you've tried to troubleshoot this issue?
      • Actually, this has been a problem since Windows 7.
      • What I noticed then is that certain Windows programs created the duplicates:
        • Windows Media Player (stopped using)
        • Internet Explorer (stopped using)
        • Plus others, which I can't recall.
      • Only certain programs for Windows 10, as well:
        • Microsoft Edge (don't use it often)
        • Groove Music (never intentionally use it)
        • Plus others, which I haven't tracked.
          • I only notice it when I go to Public Folders.
          • By then, I've long since forgotten what was accessed.
      • I've googled for answers but most of those only address
        moving the Public Folders to another Drive.

PQSC.Programmer, Oct 27, 2020
  3. Add a Folder from Windows 10 HDD

Ok yea, just use a shortcut. Right click the folder you want to show in documents and select "create shortcut" and move that shortcut to the documents folder.

If you copy folders to documents, the entire folder contents is copied, use shortcuts instead so you dont use up hard drive space having duplicate folders in 2 separate places.

DeathtoGnomes, Oct 27, 2020
  4. WojtasRed Win User

Windows Apps folder is 128Gb with many duplicate folders - I NEED this space back!!!

Hidden folders

I installed `Kane and Lynch` on my PC twice in Program Files(x86) folder but I can`t find them (2 folders with game). But free space on my HDD is lower. So there`re those folders on my hdd. I use option `unhide` hidden folders but still can`t find them. Any suggestions? How can i delete those hidden folders?

When I run istallation for this game I can see those folders in Program Files(x86) folde.

I`m using Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit.

WojtasRed, Oct 27, 2020
Thema:

Windows Apps folder is 128Gb with many duplicate folders - I NEED this space back!!!

1. Windows Apps folder is 128Gb with many duplicate folders - I NEED this space back!!! - Similar Threads - Apps folder 128Gb

2. Documents folder duplicated in Pictures folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Documents folder duplicated in Pictures folder: Documents folder duplicated in Pictures folder https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/documents-folder-duplicated-in-pictures-folder/00af09ce-e789-4e17-b6bc-1385950e6eed
  3. Duplicate Folders

Duplicate Folders: My wife's laptop died, and I replaced it with a new Dell XPS 13. I restored files from a recent backup, but now I seem to have duplicate folders as you can see below. Some seem to be shortcuts; but when I look at the properties they aren't shortcuts. Can I safely delete...
  4. Duplicates in File & Folders structure solution needed!

Duplicates in File & Folders structure solution needed!: Hallo Community, I need to find a solution for duplicate folders on an external hard drive that is being used by multiple people. I need to redesign the files & folders structure at my company. One of their requirements is that they don't want duplicate files & folders in...
  5. Duplicate folders

Duplicate folders: I have "Document folders" within "Documents. Also have several "User" files with Document folders. Why do I have so many Users? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/duplicate-folders/5c4e409f-7e6b-4584-b1b9-31227e9f4639
  6. Duplicate Folders in Documents Folder

Duplicate Folders in Documents Folder: Somehow my wife's laptop a Dell Laptop running an up-to-date Windows 10 OS has gotten 2 same-named folders Very Active with important data in her Documents folder. I've tried several things to fix by deleting 1 of the duplicate folders, moving files , etc. but nothing has...
  7. Duplicate folders

Duplicate folders: How do I prevent my folders to duplicate. I have several folders that is duplicated with -DESKTOP at the end of the name and then the original folder is still there, but with no files in it. Would appreciate any help. Thanks Helga...
  8. I need help, duplicate folders of important folders, slightly unaware of what happened.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    I need help, duplicate folders of important folders, slightly unaware of what happened.: Recently I tried accessing hidden images on discord which were stored in a cache folder, I tried a console command but it didn't work, so I decided to change one image files extension to png and I saw what it was, but then I tried accessing my music folder only to be greeted...
  9. Duplicate folders

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Duplicate folders: Why is there a duplicate folder of my desktop folder (stored on my main C Drive) in my User account? If I try to delete anything from the User/Desktop folder it also deletes it from the desktop folder stored on my main C Drive! Is this User Folder necessary? Is it taking up...
  10. Duplicate folders

in Windows 10 Support
    Duplicate folders: Thanks for having me on these boards. This is a new laptop preinstalled with W10 x64. Under 'This PC' I have a bunch of folders: 3D objects, Desktop, Documents, Downloads, Music, Pictures, Videos. Under 'Users/howar': I have the same set of folders plus some more,...