Windows 10: Windows apps not working;: edge, wifi list, start menu, settings won't open

Discus and support Windows apps not working;: edge, wifi list, start menu, settings won't open in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; after the last update released in November. I downloaded The media creation tool and I made a flash drive installer with this version. I have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by diegonunez, Jan 3, 2020.

1. Windows apps not working;: edge, wifi list, start menu, settings won't open

after the last update released in November. I downloaded The media creation tool and I made a flash drive installer with this version.

I have witnessed certain problems
    It has already happened to me in 4 Laptops that after installing the windows, connecting it to the Internet and checking for updates.

Windows apps stop working:

Start menu does not open
    Wifi list does not open
    Microsoft edge does not open
    Microsoft store does not open
    Settings does not open

I already tried some repair methods through Power Shell but it still doesn't work.

The most curious thing is that after what I do a clean installation deleting partitions. Just before connecting to the Internet and checking for updates everything works perfectly and after performing updates and restarting they stop working.
    This happened to me on an HP Elitbook i5 6th Gen, 8GB RAM, 250GB SSD.

Dell latitude e5470 and e5490.

With the same problem.

I went to several restore points before the updates and they still don't work.
    I do not know what to do.

Also try to make a new flash drive installer and the same thing happens

:)

diegonunez, Jan 3, 2020
  2. jc351226 Win User

Attempting to remove EDGE from the Start menu alphabetical listing

Thank you guys so much for the replies. So a bit of things I have tried was renaming the files so they should not launch. I have added the new file names in the GPO as restricted apps to not be able to be used but the edge app is still listed in the start menu. and just clicking on it rings up a dead edge window prompting you of the lack of internet connection. But if you type C:\ in the bar it will open a file explorer in the root of C. i have been fighting with this new image for about 2 weeks now. It is locked down very tight. And the final step is doing away with the Edge icon. If i could just permanently hide or delete that icon I would be thoroughly finished. Thank you so much for your replies and I did follow those steps which did help to a certain extent. But since the application is still installed I guess the app will be listed in the installed app listing.

jc351226, Jan 3, 2020
  3. dalchina Win User
    dalchina, Jan 3, 2020
  4. dalchina Win User

Windows apps not working;: edge, wifi list, start menu, settings won't open

Attempting to remove EDGE from the Start menu alphabetical listing

The shortcut is not listed in the start menu folders...

And I'm surprised you see Edge at all if you've done as suggested..

dalchina, Jan 3, 2020
Thema:

Windows apps not working;: edge, wifi list, start menu, settings won't open

1. Windows apps not working;: edge, wifi list, start menu, settings won't open - Similar Threads - apps working edge

2. The start menu, settings, search and the Xbox app won't open

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The start menu, settings, search and the Xbox app won't open: This issue started appearing after moving some files from my c drive to my d drive because I was low on space, and more problems started to appear after I followed some troubleshooters. I've tried rebooting everything from the task manager, I've scanned for viruses, but...
  3. The start menu, settings, search and the Xbox app won't open

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    The start menu, settings, search and the Xbox app won't open: This issue started appearing after moving some files from my c drive to my d drive because I was low on space, and more problems started to appear after I followed some troubleshooters. I've tried rebooting everything from the task manager, I've scanned for viruses, but...
  4. App appears in Settings, but not in Start menu list

in Windows 10 Gaming
    App appears in Settings, but not in Start menu list: I just reinstalled an app on my system. The app shows up in the Settings > Apps list, but not in the Start menu list. Why did this happen, and how do I fix it? Please note that I installed the app under another user; the last time I did that, the app showed up in Start; this...
  5. App appears in Settings, but not in Start menu list

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    App appears in Settings, but not in Start menu list: I just reinstalled an app on my system. The app shows up in the Settings > Apps list, but not in the Start menu list. Why did this happen, and how do I fix it? Please note that I installed the app under another user; the last time I did that, the app showed up in Start; this...
  6. App appears in Settings, but not in Start menu list

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. Start menu won't open, ms-settings doesn't work.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Start menu won't open, ms-settings doesn't work.: I did a reinstall of Windows today, and everything was working completely fine, then after a restart, my Start menu stopped working, as well as right-clicking on my desktop and clicking Personalize/Display settings, these options also did not work. I also can not right-click...
  8. start menu, setting menu, ms edge not working

in Windows 10 Customization
    start menu, setting menu, ms edge not working: i have a surface pro 2017 i5 128GB very low responding and windows keep updating very often, so i decided to do a reset delete all files, i didn't do the backup since i think that setting etc was not best after reset, i found the start menu, setting menu, search, not...
  9. Settings and Start Menu won't open!

in Windows 10 Support
    Settings and Start Menu won't open!: A couple days ago my computer started acting funky and the next day my settings would crash every time I would open it I have tried running the troubleshooters and all the commands in PowerShell and cmd but nothing seems to work. Also, my start menu won't open even if I do...
  10. Start menu doesn't work and apps won't open

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu doesn't work and apps won't open: hi all my start menu doesn't work. clicking on task bar items does not work. (wifi, notifications) opening apps doesn't work. WIN + I or trying to open update from Win + R doesn't work (message "the app didn't open") clicking the search doesn't work. Clicking the windows...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. edge start menu settings wont open