Windows 10: Windows are resized and moved to upper-left corner of screen when monitor wakes up from sleep

Discus and support Windows are resized and moved to upper-left corner of screen when monitor wakes up from sleep in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; This just started happening on Monday (11/12/18) for no reason I can decipher, nothing has changed that I know of. I have scoured the internet and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by [MAC]Eowyn, Nov 16, 2018.

1. Windows are resized and moved to upper-left corner of screen when monitor wakes up from sleep

This just started happening on Monday (11/12/18) for no reason I can decipher, nothing has changed that I know of.

I have scoured the internet and the only "fix" I can find is to set my monitor to never sleep. My computer is the network server at my work, so it is never is shut down and therefore the monitor would be one 24/7. So not really an option.

I have updated the drivers for my graphics card (Intel HD Graphics 630) and operating system (Windows 10). I have tried fiddling with the display scaling options to no avail. It seems like when the monitor falls asleep, the resolution is changed to like 1024x768, forcing all the windows to resize, and then the resolution changes back to 1920x1080 when I wake it up, but the windows don't reset.

My internet scouring revealed that some people think it has to do with the monitor being plugged into the display port instead of HDMI. Others say that when the monitor falls asleep, windows thinks it was disconnected and switches to defaults (1024x768?). Either way, it is beyond frustrating and I would like it to stop.

:)

[MAC]Eowyn, Nov 16, 2018
  2. 1Dana1 Win User

Windows are resized and moved to upper-left corner of screen when monitor wakes up from sleep

This question was asked before but with a different type of monitor. I have an ASUS MG28U. I am running Windows 10 and all updates are current. The problem is that every time I wake my computer from sleep status, all of the open windows will have been
    resized and moved to the upper, left-side corner. Is there a solution for this yet?

1Dana1, Nov 16, 2018
  3. ffhaddad Win User
    Windows are resized and moved to upper-left corner of screen when monitor wakes up from sleep

I have a Dell 24" 4k Monitor (3840x2160) connected to my NVIDIA GTX 970 via DisplayPort 1.2. Whenever the monitor enters sleep mode, upon wakeup, all my open windows have been resized (smaller) and placed in the upper-left corner of the screen. This only
    happens when connected to the DisplayPort output. If I connect to DVI or HDMI, the problem goes away. The problem, however, is those other outputs only allow 4K at 30Hz refresh rate instead of 60Hz which is not an option for gaming.

This seems to be a common issue scouring the web.

ffhaddad, Nov 16, 2018
  4. 1Dana1 Win User

Thank you for those ideas. The problem is that my windows get moved and resized in the first place. I suppose it may have something to do with the fact that the monitor is 28" and the OS doesn't know how to handle that.

Cascading the windows makes them all wider and moves them toward the left, but not the very top left. Using Win+D, or +M, or +Shift+M, or Win +right arrow all work as they should. However, I was hoping for a solution where things will be as I left them every
    time I let the monitor go to sleep.

1Dana1, Nov 16, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows are resized and moved to upper-left corner of screen when monitor wakes up from sleep - Similar Threads - are resized moved

2. Windows are resized and moved to upper-left corner of screen when monitor wakes up from...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows are resized and moved to upper-left corner of screen when monitor wakes up from...: Below is everything I looked at, and got this figured out on my system. The short version is, the problem is with "Display Port Hot-Plug Detection". All I had to do was to change this setting on my monitor: Input Control / DP Hot-Plug Detection / Low Power Default vs. Always...
  3. Windows are resized and moved to upper-left corner of screen when monitor wakes up from...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows are resized and moved to upper-left corner of screen when monitor wakes up from...: Below is everything I looked at, and got this figured out on my system. The short version is, the problem is with "Display Port Hot-Plug Detection". All I had to do was to change this setting on my monitor: Input Control / DP Hot-Plug Detection / Low Power Default vs. Always...
  4. Windows are resized and moved to upper-left corner of screen when monitor wakes up from...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows resizing automatically to smaller sizes and moving to upper left of screen

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows resizing automatically to smaller sizes and moving to upper left of screen: In 2017 there is a post with some confirmation that the above problem was solved by one to three specific register changes. That post's author was MichaelAtOz. Five years later and the registry has different entries in the the same registry folders described by MichaelAtOz....
  6. Windows resizing automatically to smaller sizes and moving to upper left of screen

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows resizing automatically to smaller sizes and moving to upper left of screen: In 2017 there is a post with some confirmation that the above problem was solved by one to three specific register changes. That post's author was MichaelAtOz. Five years later and the registry has different entries in the the same registry folders described by MichaelAtOz....
  7. windows are resized and snap to the upper left corner after monitor sleep

windows are resized and snap to the upper left corner after monitor sleep: when my PC wakes up from from the display turning off the app windows are resized and snap to the upper left corner of the display. I then have to resize them and move them back where I want them. I tried updating the driver but Windows says latest driver is installed....
  8. Extreme upper left corner of monitor

Extreme upper left corner of monitor: At the extreme upper left corner of the screen, there is a tiny white dot. When I put the mouse cursor on it, I get one of those spinning blue "waiting" circles... well, actually only a quarter of one of those as if the top and entire left part of the circle is outside the...
  9. Windows keep moving and resizing after monitors wake from sleep

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows keep moving and resizing after monitors wake from sleep: I have dual monitors and every time they wake from sleep, the windows that are open in the second monitor are resized and moved to the primary monitor. This is incredibly frustrating because it disrupts my workflow and I have to rearrange my windows every single time I wake...
  10. Application windows resize to upper left corner of monitor

in Windows 10 Support
    Application windows resize to upper left corner of monitor: Computer is locally built 2016, Intel Core i5 Skylake processor (6th Gen) 3.2/3.6GH, 80GT/s, 6MB, etc. Monitor is Dell UltraSharp 38 Curved Monitor - U3818DW Last update 2019-02 Windows 10 Version 1809 for x64-based Systems (KB4465065) successfully installed 6/18/2019. In...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows resized and moved to top left corner after waking displayport

2. intel nuc: windows resized after waking from sleep

3. small duplicate screen left upper corner