Windows 10: windows arrangement changes when disconnecting additional monitor (extended view) and...

Discus and support windows arrangement changes when disconnecting additional monitor (extended view) and... in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I use multiple programs and/or windows and I arrange them on main and extended display. Every time I disconnect the second display (4k display) and use... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by JamesBond007a, Nov 12, 2019.

1. windows arrangement changes when disconnecting additional monitor (extended view) and...

I use multiple programs and/or windows and I arrange them on main and extended display. Every time I disconnect the second display (4k display) and use only main (laptop) display, or opposite - when I reconnect the extended display - I have to rearrange the windows allover again. Haw can I make Win 10 memorize various windows arrangement (positions) with different monitor setups and apply them automaticlly if possible?

:)

JamesBond007a, Nov 12, 2019
  2. THX1138 Win User

Disconnecting and re-extending desktop to display, changes arrangement

This screenshot shows the display settings menu. It allows individual monitors to be disconnected and reconnected and moved around in relation to each other.

windows arrangement changes when disconnecting additional monitor (extended view) and... [​IMG]

This video shows what happens to the monitor arrangement when a single monitor is disconnected and then reconnected. The purpose of disconnecting monitors and reconnecting them in this way is to prevent the cursor from moving to an unused display which makes it harder to find, to prevent wasted electricity on unused resources and maintain system performance that would be spent on unnecessary calculations inside the transistors that make a monitor display things.

egjZXHDoQIU

THX1138, Nov 12, 2019
  3. THX1138 Win User
    Disconnecting and re-extending desktop to display, changes arrangement

Using the display settings menu to disconnect a display when it is not in use and then extend the desktop to the display again results in the arrangement of the displays being changed. I then have to drag them back into position each time in what is already an arduous process without this aspect. Is it possible for Windows 10 to save and recall the relative positions of displays?

THX1138, Nov 12, 2019
  4. windows arrangement changes when disconnecting additional monitor (extended view) and...

Trouble with 2 monitors

Hi Tim,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to change the settings to Extended Monitor and check if it helps.

Please follow below steps:

• Right Click any ware of the Desktop, and launch Personalization.
    • Go to dual monitor settings under personalization, and change it Extended Monitor.
    Please get back to us for future support, we’ll be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Prabhavathi Patil, Nov 12, 2019
Thema:

windows arrangement changes when disconnecting additional monitor (extended view) and...

1. windows arrangement changes when disconnecting additional monitor (extended view) and... - Similar Threads - arrangement changes disconnecting

2. Apps and folder "windows" extend past the Desktop AND monitor viewing area.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Apps and folder "windows" extend past the Desktop AND monitor viewing area.: Here's an example of what happens written by someone else. It happens with Outlook, Chrome, File Explorer... Pretty much everything. I don't want anything to resize larger than the Desktop. I don't want anything to be able to "slide" past the edge of the screen. If i move a...
  3. Apps and folder "windows" extend past the Desktop AND monitor viewing area.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Apps and folder "windows" extend past the Desktop AND monitor viewing area.: Here's an example of what happens written by someone else. It happens with Outlook, Chrome, File Explorer... Pretty much everything. I don't want anything to resize larger than the Desktop. I don't want anything to be able to "slide" past the edge of the screen. If i move a...
  4. Icons arrangement in File Explorer changed automatically to view/arrangement that I don't...

in Windows 10 Customization
    Icons arrangement in File Explorer changed automatically to view/arrangement that I don't...: Hi I installed R-Wipe & Clean program to clean and remove unnecessary stuff from my PC. When the cleaning process finished, I found out a few issues happened to my PC, and restart or a few other actions didn't fix them. The most important problem is about displaying the...
  5. Dual Monitor flickering when extended

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Dual Monitor flickering when extended: So I have bought a PC in July 2020. I have an AMD Ryzen 5 3600 with a Radeon 5700 XT. And for some reason when I connect a second display and put it on extended mode it starts to flicker every second until I turn it off again. It works if I use Radeon Eyeinfinty or what ever...
  6. Dual monitor flickering when extended

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Dual monitor flickering when extended: So I have bought a PC in July 2020. I have an AMD Ryzen 5 3600 with a Radeon 5700 XT. And for some reason when I connect a second display and put it on extended mode it starts to flicker every second until I turn it off again. It works if I use Radeon Eyeinfinty (or what ever...
  7. When using Extend monitor, the monitor extended is going to sleep

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    When using Extend monitor, the monitor extended is going to sleep: I need some assistance. I have a new Acer monitor that I hooked to my X1 Carbon Lenovo laptop. When I am in duplicate monitor mode everything works great. However when I put the computer in extend mode, I am having issues. The monitor extends as expected, but if I do not...
  8. additional monitors

in Windows 10 Customization
    additional monitors: HI I have 2 additional monitors plugged into my laptop, but it is only seeing 1 of them. How can I fix this please? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/additional-monitors/45fba952-d375-4eab-a7dc-227270d48c97
  9. Monitor extend

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Monitor extend: I have an issue with monitor extend. When I tried to extend the monitor, the monitor didn't react properly, it looks like the monitor is freeze but the cursor is visible and you can moving the cursor but when I tried clicking on an object on the screen or use right click...
  10. Disconnecting and re-extending desktop to display, changes arrangement

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Disconnecting and re-extending desktop to display, changes arrangement: Using the display settings menu to disconnect a display when it is not in use and then extend the desktop to the display again results in the arrangement of the displays being changed. I then have to drag them back into position each time in what is already an arduous process...