Windows 10: Windows as a Service: The pros and cons

Discus and support Windows as a Service: The pros and cons in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; The most important announcement at Microsoft's Windows 10 demo in Redmond the other day wasn't Windows 10 or Cortana, or even holograms. It was these... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by labeeman, Jan 22, 2015.

1. labeeman Win User

Windows as a Service: The pros and cons

More

:)

labeeman, Jan 22, 2015
  2. synth_fg Win User

Too worried to upgrade software. The pros and cons

Pro's tend to be

1) More Stable Phone,

2) Better / Faster Performance

3) New Features (Occasionaly)

Con's

1) If it go's wrong it can mean a trip to a care point and a few days without your phone.

TIps for a successful update

1) Never try it if you are susspicious about the stability of either your machine or your internet connection

2) Dedicate your PC to the upgrade, dont do anything else, no web browsing or chat, no games nothing else running

3) Do exactly what your pc/ phone tell you, don't try to get clever and think well they mean this

4) Unless told to do so, do not disconnect your phone unless you are sure the update is dead (give it a minimum of an hour to be sure)

synth_fg, Jan 22, 2015
  3. sgttrojan Win User
    Too worried to upgrade software. The pros and cons

The updates are for free dude. Direct from NOkia website or via PC suite:smileyhappy:

sgttrojan, Jan 22, 2015
  4. BunnyJ New Member

Windows as a Service: The pros and cons [​IMG]

Now from my understanding, for the lifetime of the device MS will provide free updates for Win10. And you will have to purchase a copy of Win10 for new devices. ..

Jeff

BunnyJ, Jan 22, 2015
  5. labeeman Win User
    Or does it mean that you need a new copy when your mother board or cpu die. It could also mean when the cpu becomes outdated.

labeeman, Jan 22, 2015
  6. BunnyJ New Member
    Or does it mean that you need a new copy when your mother board or cpu die. It could also mean when the cpu becomes outdated. I agree that "device" is a vague term and we'll see what that really means when the final release comes out and that is clarified. I would hope that you could replace parts of your PC and retain Win10 for that machine.

Jeff

BunnyJ, Jan 22, 2015
  7. labeeman Win User
    Or does it mean that you need a new copy when your mother board or cpu die. It could also mean when the cpu becomes outdated. I agree that "device" is a vague term and we'll see what that really means when the final release comes out and that is clarified. I would hope that you could replace parts of your PC and retain Win10 for that machine.

Jeff On most devices these days when they break while not under warranty a new one is in store. But Most desktops are upgradable and repairable and are long lived. I have an XP box that collects 13 analog signals 24/7 at one minute intervals and displays them on a chart also archives them, right now the run time on this boot is over 240 days.

labeeman, Jan 22, 2015
  8. waltc Win User

We'll find out what it will cost later this year when the OS ships to non-Win7/8.x users who will have to pay for it. According to Mary Jo Foley @ZDNet, Microsoft has clearly stated in one of its blogs (she quotes from it) that Microsoft's business model relating to Windows hasn't changed--and that "Windows as a service" does not mean "Windows as a subscription." As a "service," I take it to mean that there will be no more of Win11; Win12, or Win13, etc. Basically, it'll just be "Windows 10" from here on out--different versions will be sculpted for different devices, no doubt, but superficially there will be no more distinctions made in the Windows family according to version numbers.

I haven't made up my mind about all of this yet...Still collating the data...*Wink

waltc, Jan 22, 2015
  9. Superfly Win User
    I tend to agree with that viewpoint - no EOL.

Just hope if this is the case we at least get SP's again - having to download a gazillion GB of updates each time you clean install is a royal PITA.

Ed: Having said that, Win8* is going the Refresh ISO route - which in effect is a slipstreamed ISO with an SP...

Superfly, Jan 22, 2015
  10. Most of the subscriptions will depend on the app installed and activated
    The os it's self I would not expect it to go subscription
    They boast most programs will work I verified office 2007 and outlook does indeed work Not subscriptionware *Wink
    That was the only one I installed anything more was a waste when clean installing new builds every month or two
    Love the gossip though *Biggrin

ThrashZone, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows as a Service: The pros and cons - Similar Threads - Service pros cons

2. Change TDR value - Pros and Cons

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Change TDR value - Pros and Cons: HiI’ve recently been having issues with CTDs for Prepar3d v5.3 where I get crashes without an error log in the event logger, specifically using Aerosoft’s A330 professional add on. They are uncommon but they do happen enough to cause some concern. I’ve conversed with both...
  3. Change TDR value - Pros and Cons

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Change TDR value - Pros and Cons: HiI’ve recently been having issues with CTDs for Prepar3d v5.3 where I get crashes without an error log in the event logger, specifically using Aerosoft’s A330 professional add on. They are uncommon but they do happen enough to cause some concern. I’ve conversed with both...
  4. Change TDR value - Pros and Cons

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. What are the pros and cons of publishing NuGet packages publicly and privately?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What are the pros and cons of publishing NuGet packages publicly and privately?: I've been scouring the web for this question: What are the pros and cons of both publishing NuGet packages publicly and privately? It've not been successful in this endeavor, after lots of searching. I did find a whitepaper by Microsoft but nothing like what I'm looking for....
  6. Pros/Cons - Change storage location

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Pros/Cons - Change storage location: Hi Folks. I understand there are at least two ways of changing the default storage location for data 1. For each user, under Settings>System>Storage>Change where new content is saved. 2. By moving the location of the default user directories usingAdvanced System...
  7. Windows 10 vs Windows XP (Pros and Cons)

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 vs Windows XP (Pros and Cons): There are several behaviors of Windows 10 that remind me of Windows XP. While I may get overly rambunctious with how great XP was and how 10 leaves me wanting, I first wish to address the features 10 offers, which are clear improvements over XP. Secondly, I hope others also...
  8. pros and cons of mini PC?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    pros and cons of mini PC?: I am very obsessed with mini desktop PC that is like a small box. It saves a lot of space. In addition to space saving, is there any obvious advantage and disadvantage of a mini PC? 137150
  9. Regarding becoming a Windows INSIDER : Pros, cons and concerns.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Regarding becoming a Windows INSIDER : Pros, cons and concerns.: I recently updated my Windows 10 and became an Insider, actively participating in making windows better. It basically means having a bit more access to all MS software be it MS office and everything. A bit of developer-feel and on-going exclusive updates are pushed on the...
  10. What are the cons and pros of leaving Game Mode On constantly ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What are the cons and pros of leaving Game Mode On constantly ?: So basically it was claimed that Game Mode previously found in game bar was a mean to give performance priority to games that are set to it , the theory behind it was vague and then there were posts it was about setting game priority to high while setting everything else...