Windows 10: Windows AU Update causing boot loop

Discus and support Windows AU Update causing boot loop in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi All, Having an issue updating a laptop. this is a laptop loaded with a custom image which i deploy via SCCM. The image is currently on build... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by peripete, Aug 7, 2016.

1. peripete Win User

Windows AU Update causing boot loop

Hi All,

Having an issue updating a laptop. this is a laptop loaded with a custom image which i deploy via SCCM. The image is currently on build 1511, so the update im doing is from 1511 to 1607.

The way im updating, is using the Windows 10 update tool:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...setting_client

Before i go on to explain, i should tell you, i can re-image and replicate this issue over and over, so its probably an issue somewhere down the line with the the image, but the update tool for some reason still mentions the laptop is ready for the upgrade. (oh and the image, that i know of to date, has no issue, and all prior windows updates are applied)

The Issue:
    I download the aforementioned tool, it goes through its motions of advising whether my laptop is compatible, once it decides its fine it downloads the update (normal behavior). It then proceed to prompt me my laptop will restart in order to install the upgrade. No issue there, it press "Restart"and it goes through the motion of installing it.
    It all goes well, rebooting a few times (again, normal behavior) HOWEVER, once it reaches 99% (every time) it reboots and then gets stuck in a loop.
    UEFI --> Windows boot ( so this screen http://i.stack.imgur.com/hvUhO.png)--> Reboot --> UEFI --> Windows Manager --> Reboot etc etc etc......loop loop loop
    It does this eternally (or at least, my patience was limited to 3 hours)
    As i said before, i can then reimage my machine via a PXE boot, and apply the upgrade again and the SAME thing happens. At the SAME percent (damn that last 1% seemingly crucial boot file!).

TS Tried:
    disabled secure boot
    attempted to boot from UEFI and Uefi/Legacy bios mode
    Tried Windows repair media ( each time, it was not able to be rapaired)
    Also tried manually repairing boot files from the CMD using the repair media.

I could i suppose install a fresh build, but thats not the point. I need this in place upgrade method to work.

Anybody got any ideas? Tried contacting Microsoft and quit after their support agent asked me if they could remote into it to assist me.

P.S Model is Lenovo t460s,

Cheers

:)

peripete, Aug 7, 2016
  2. hexified1 Win User

Computer in reboot loop after update

This doesn't solve the problem. The update causes my computer to go into a reboot loop so it's not able to do a clean boot as it doesn't boot back into the OS at all.

I'm using windows 10 home, and do not have the option to defer upgrades.

Hiding updates doesn't help as Microsoft forces the updates to install and reboot on my system continually causing my computer to reboot into a reboot loop and not work at all. This is an in issue with the MS update not installing properly.

What do I have to do to ensure the update installs properly without it causing a reboot loop? or how do I disable the 1709 update entirely because hiding it doesn't work when Microsoft forces it on my machine.

hexified1, Aug 7, 2016
  3. Memece33 Win User
    Windows 10 boot loop but works with usb in

I have a pc acer aspire that came down with the boot loop problem after an update. Cant fix through repair options. Made a usb from Microsoft. After trying to repair.. Now when i boot off the usb it goes into Windows.. If I boot normaly it still has boot
    loop problem.

How do i correct this? Is rhe mbr or something causing this?

Thanks

Memece33, Aug 7, 2016
Thema:

Windows AU Update causing boot loop

1. Windows AU Update causing boot loop - Similar Threads - Update causing boot

2. Antivirus cause loop boot

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Antivirus cause loop boot: Today I downloaded Avira antivirus because my laptop was slower than usually and started full virus scan. After almost 2 hour long scan, antivirus found 3 unwanted files and sent them in quarantine. When I deleted those files from quarantine, antivirus wanted to restart...
  3. Antivirus cause loop boot

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Antivirus cause loop boot: Today I downloaded Avira antivirus because my laptop was slower than usually and started full virus scan. After almost 2 hour long scan, antivirus found 3 unwanted files and sent them in quarantine. When I deleted those files from quarantine, antivirus wanted to restart...
  4. Secure Boot cause me to loop to BIOS

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Secure Boot cause me to loop to BIOS: I am having issue upgrading to windows 11I was able to correct my PC's TPM 2.0 issue,But, when I did the secure boot option enabled. My PC won't load my windows, it just keeps looping back to my BIOS.I don't know what to do. And I don't have the extra money to pay for an...
  5. Windows October Update caused Automatic Repair Boot Loop, I'm stuck

Windows October Update caused Automatic Repair Boot Loop, I'm stuck: Hi, On October 14th, when I shut down my laptop, there was a forced update and shutdown or restart. So I shut it down and slept. The next day, I started up my laptop, and, instead of logging in, it started some automatic repair. Then it took me to the automatic repair...
  6. Latest update causing a boot loop?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Latest update causing a boot loop?: Latest update came out, my computer updated last night. My computer now will boot up, allow me to login for from 3-10 minutes and then reboot back to login. Computer never cycles power at all. Anyone else having issue? submitted by /u/hutch0607 [link] [comments]...
  7. Update causing Windows Repair loop

Update causing Windows Repair loop: The latest Windows 10 update, after restart, doesn't let me log in to my computer. Windows seems to be stuck in a Windows Repair Mode loop, where every option simply results in Windows restarting and winding up at the same place. A complication is that while "Continue to...
  8. Slow boot time after AU update

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Slow boot time after AU update: I am using an NVME drive and used to get a 10 second boot time, but after the AU update its nearly 50 seconds. I haven't added any more programs to startup, so why is this happening. Would like to know if there is a fix. Thanks 61821
  9. Blue screen and other things caused by AU???

in Windows 10 Support
    Blue screen and other things caused by AU???: My 2 year old computer came with W10 Home 64-bit. Since then, I have accepted all updates from MS and the computer always was working fine. And just a couple of weeks ago, I allowed AU 1607 to be installed. Trouble, trouble, trouble since then: Thunderbird (always allowed...
  10. Recovery boot loop caused by Lost Boot Partition

in Windows 10 Support
    Recovery boot loop caused by Lost Boot Partition: Hello. I have been dualbooting OS X and Windows 8 (then 10) using Clover bootloader for over 2,5 years now. It's not ideal, but it works, or worked, up until today. After restarting from OS X to boot into W10 I got the "infinite spinner", which then (after rebooting) turned...