Windows 10: Windows auto-selecting the last option in settings menus and other areas.

Discus and support Windows auto-selecting the last option in settings menus and other areas. in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; As of yesterday, whenever I go into the settings, Windows will usually auto select the last option. Not open it, but it will be stuck on it and I can't... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by JackDaniel4, Jul 23, 2020.

1. Windows auto-selecting the last option in settings menus and other areas.

As of yesterday, whenever I go into the settings, Windows will usually auto select the last option. Not open it, but it will be stuck on it and I can't unselect it. For example, if I select Apps and view Apps and Features, it will automatically select the last item in the list of apps. Trying to scroll up doesn't work, as it automatically scrolls back down again. Using the arrow keys or the tab key doesn't work either, and it will immediately go back to selecting the last option in the list.

This issue is present elsewhere on my PC too. Even on the startup screen, windows automatically selects the center box though, it doesn't open it. It just means I can't interact with either of the other two.

When viewing photos, it automatically zooms in on the picture, and trying to zoom out again fails to solve the issue. When watching a downloaded video, it gets "stuck" on the pause button. While it doesn't keep pausing and unpausing the video, when trying to select other options ie, the volume slider it doesn't work since it automatically goes back to hovering over the pause button.

These are the examples I've noticed so far; I'm sure there are more. Though, it doesn't seem to affect any non-default apps. My browser is working perfectly fine, and I'm able to use the tab button and scroll perfectly fine. Likewise, any other applications seem to work fine too. It's just default Windows ones.

:)

JackDaniel4, Jul 23, 2020

2. Windows auto-selecting the last option in settings menus and other areas.

As of yesterday, whenever I go into the settings, Windows will usually auto select the last option. Not open it, but it will be stuck on it and I can't unselect it. For example, if I select Apps and view Apps and Features, it will automatically select
    the last item in the list of apps. Trying to scroll up doesn't work, as it automatically scrolls back down again. Using the arrow keys or the tab key doesn't work either, and it will immediately go back to selecting the last option in the list.

This issue is present elsewhere on my PC too. Even on the startup screen, windows automatically selects the center box (though, it doesn't open it. It just means I can't interact with either of the other two).

When viewing photos, it automatically zooms in on the picture, and trying to zoom out again fails to solve the issue. When watching a downloaded video, it gets "stuck" on the pause button. While it doesn't keep pausing and unpausing the video, when trying to
    select other options (ie, the volume slider) it doesn't work since it automatically goes back to hovering over the pause button.

These are the examples I've noticed so far; I'm sure there are more. Though, it doesn't seem to affect any non-default apps. My browser is working perfectly fine, and I'm able to use the tab button and scroll perfectly fine. Likewise, any other applications
    seem to work fine too. It's just default Windows ones.

JackDaniel4, Jul 31, 2020
  3. Naki Win User
    Feature suggestions - move to proper menus, add Options window

Suggestions:
    1) Remove main menus from top left menu (system menu) and move them to a standard Windows menu, at the top.
    Leave the 6 system menu items (Restore --- Close) in system menu, move all the rest to that standard main menu. The main menu can be auto-hidable - pressing Alt key to invoke it or hide it, similar to the way IE11 menus and many Windows 10 built-in apps' menus work.

2) And/or, add an Options menu or button, which would invoke a separate screen with GPU-Z Options, similar to how most Windows apps work.
    Most Windows apps have a separate Options screen, which GPU-Z lacks - one should be added.

Thanks in advance for listening!

4. John DeV Win User

Windows auto-selecting the last option in settings menus and other areas.

Hello JackDaniel4,

I'm John an Independent Advisor and a Microsoft user like you. I want to apologize if you encountered this issue. I understand you have a problem with Store apps settings. Did you made any changes recently? When was the last time it's working properly?

Run the System File Checker tool (SFC.exe)

Press WIN+R to open Run then type: cmd

Press CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER to Run as administrator

At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:

sfc /scannow

Restore and repair system files

Press WIN+R to open Run then type: cmd

At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:

DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

Restart your PC then check settings app

Run the troubleshooter

Press WIN+R to open Run then type: control

Under View by > Small icons

Select Troubleshooting > View all

Click Windows store apps on the list

Run the troubleshooter

If it doesn't work, Re-register Built-in apps

Press WIN+R to open Run then type: powershell

copy paste the command below one at a time then press Enter

Get-AppXPackage | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers -Name windows.immersivecontrolpanel | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register “$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml” -Verbose}

Restart your PC

I hope this helps! Please let me know if you have any further concerns.

Sincerely

Independent Advisor

John DeV, Jul 31, 2020
Thema:

1. Windows auto-selecting the last option in settings menus and other areas. - Similar Threads - auto selecting last

2. selecting last option in menus

in Windows 10 Gaming
    selecting last option in menus: I'm aware that someone already has asked this however in that thread there was no concussion or fix for the problem.In any New system menu or in the photos app the last option in the menu is selected and cannot be unselected.here is the last thread...
  3. selecting last option in menus

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    selecting last option in menus: I'm aware that someone already has asked this however in that thread there was no concussion or fix for the problem.In any New system menu or in the photos app the last option in the menu is selected and cannot be unselected.here is the last thread...
  4. selecting last option in menus

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Auto tabbing to the last option in settings

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Auto tabbing to the last option in settings: when i try to click on anything in the settings menu something starts tabbing through all the options getting stuck on the last one it isn't my keyboard or my mouse i have tried unplugging and uninstalling their drivers neither has stop this issueand it is only in the...
  6. Auto tabbing to the last option in settings

Auto tabbing to the last option in settings: when i try to click on anything in the settings menu something starts tabbing through all the options getting stuck on the last one it isn't my keyboard or my mouse i have tried unplugging and uninstalling their drivers neither has stop this issueand it is only in the...
  7. Auto tabbing to the last option in settings

8. area selection

area selection: Windows 10, Streets and trips 2013.I Cannot select an area to zoom with 2013. this was avaulable in 2007 also I cannot move cursor across map as the hand locks on to the map and just moves the entire map....
  9. Windows menus selection auto scroll to top

Windows menus selection auto scroll to top: It's not my mouse or keyboard as the problem persists even if I disconnect one of them. I've done the scans from command prompt, it found corrupted files and fixed them. Restarted and still no fix. Is there anything else I can do? If I hold down on the keyboard it can beat...
  10. Problems selecting areas and menus using the mousepad

in Windows 10 Support
    Problems selecting areas and menus using the mousepad: Hello, Since installing Windows 10, I am having a lot of trouble clicking on areas and loading menu options using my mousepad. For example; - When I go into the start menu, if I go to click on the Power option, it will not load the menu where I can choose to restart,...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. why is my laptop writing select area everytime