Windows 10: Windows automatic backups overwrote my files

Discus and support Windows automatic backups overwrote my files in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I had a hard drive die (2nd backup to die in a 1 week span) and during the restore process I plugged in my external hard drive which contained the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by AKallday247, Dec 24, 2018.

1. Windows automatic backups overwrote my files

I had a hard drive die (2nd backup to die in a 1 week span) and during the restore process I plugged in my external hard drive which contained the backups. During this process all but 5 minutes or so I realized the backup is changing in size so I quickly rushed to automatic backups and turned it off. The damage had been done, automatic backups deleted my entire Pictures folder with about 10 years of photos. There seems to be no recovery process for restoring deleted files by the system itself. Please help, it's Christmas and I'm having a meltdown. I had 3 backups in place and now my last backup just got overwrote by windows itself. I feel like it's just a file system structure issue but I have no idea where the data is. It's a WD drive 2TB external, all the best file restore software cannot find the files, file history, backups etc. all gone. We're talking about 1 TB of family videos & photos. I know it's gotta be saved in some kind of .dat or dmp file or something please help!

:)

AKallday247, Dec 24, 2018
  2. Sean8 Win User

Automatic backup

I'm trying to setup automatic backup. In windows 7 I have it setup but it doesn't backup everything in that folder it backs up only stuff that was edited which causes confusion. Is there any easier way to automatically backup everything in a single folder to my external hd

Sean8, Dec 24, 2018
  3. File History does not backup automatically

Hi,

Thank you for writing us back.

I would suggest you to go through the below steps:

• Press Windows key+I.

• Click on Update and security.

• On the left pane, click on backup and select on under automatically back up my files.

• Click on more option under on button.

• Select every hour (default) under back up my files.

• Select forever (default) under keep my files.

Also refer the link below link and check if it helps:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/set-drive-file-history

Also work in Windows 10

I hope this helps. Please post back with the status of the issue and we will be glad to assist you further.

Shubham Chaubey, Dec 24, 2018
  4. newtekie1 Win User

Windows automatic backups overwrote my files

Automatic backup

Forget using the automatic backup thing built into Windows, it sucks in my experience.

Instead use a Robocopy script and use task scheduler to automatically run it every night.

This is the script I use:

Code: robocopy <source> <destination> /MIR /B /w:5 /r:5[/quote] Save that to a bat file, then tell task manager to run it every night. That will back up everything in the folder nightly.

Obviously the source is your source directory, and the destination is your destination directory.

If you want to back up multiple directory, you can just keep adding lines to the same bat file and they will all run when it is executed.

So if you wanted to backup your user documents to a folder called Bakcup on the external drive F:, then it would look like:

Code: robocopy "C:\Users\username\My Documents" F:\Backup\ /MIR /B /w:5 /r:5[/quote] And remember, when you are using a path that contains a space, you need to put the quotes around the path, if the path doesn't contain a space then don't put quotes around it.

newtekie1, Dec 24, 2018
Thema:

Windows automatic backups overwrote my files

1. Windows automatic backups overwrote my files - Similar Threads - automatic backups overwrote

2. OneDrive overwrote files from the same folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OneDrive overwrote files from the same folder: Staff, I had OneDrive installed. So I unlinked my account and unsynchronized it. I kept using the folders created with the path "onedrive\...", and then I decided to link my account again. In the process, OneDrive gave me the option of using the same existing folder and ended...
  3. OneDrive overwrote files from the same folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    OneDrive overwrote files from the same folder: Staff, I had OneDrive installed. So I unlinked my account and unsynchronized it. I kept using the folders created with the path "onedrive\...", and then I decided to link my account again. In the process, OneDrive gave me the option of using the same existing folder and ended...
  4. Using a CMD file to automatically make a backup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Using a CMD file to automatically make a backup: Hi, I'm trying to write a CMD file a "backup" of sorts to run in Windows 10 Pro. I would like the CMD file to: - start automatically when Windows starts - copy some files to a USB drive - run only one time for any specific day I know the commands to use to get the files...
  5. Using a CMD file to automatically make a backup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Using a CMD file to automatically make a backup: Hi, I'm trying to write a CMD file a "backup" of sorts to run in Windows 10 Pro. I would like the CMD file to: - start automatically when Windows starts - copy some files to a USB drive - run only one time for any specific day I know the commands to use to get the files...
  6. OneDrive overwrote most of my files.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    OneDrive overwrote most of my files.: I have an ASUS Aspire E 15 with Windows 10 that I use for college, work, and travel. I've been using OneDrive as a cloud storage for most of my college class-related files, since it was required by one of my early professors, and I've been doing it that way ever since. I...
  7. backup File History not starts automatically

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    backup File History not starts automatically: Hi I created a backup using Files History in W10 1903. The problem is that it never starts automatically. I recreated few times from scratch and set it to Daily, every 12 hours... It works fine manually, when press the button Backup Now. The backup is configured to copy...
  8. Windows overwrote files with the same name, and now the old files are deleted/missing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows overwrote files with the same name, and now the old files are deleted/missing: I had a folder full of about 150 files. Maybe half of them shared the same naming format (for example "Finished"). I then selected all of the files, typed in "Finished", and hit enter, so all files would maintain the same naming format. The folder automatically refreshes,...
  9. Windows 10 Automatic File/Folder Backup

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 Automatic File/Folder Backup: I've been running Windows 10 automatic file/folder backup for quite some time, and it was working fine before the latest massive Windows 10 update. My files/folders are directed to be saved every 20 minutes to an external drive connected via a USB port. Now, I could be wrong,...
  10. Backup does not automatically backup.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Backup does not automatically backup.: backup does not automatically backup. I have to go to settings and do it manually every time i want a file backed up https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/backup-does-not-automatically-backup/de72d377-937c-4a24-b968-13c6994296d8