Windows 10: Windows automatic repair and bitlocker

Discus and support Windows automatic repair and bitlocker in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I have blocker on my computer. When i updated the compete and restarted it today, it went into repair after the restart. It asks for the bitlocker... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by RobertLanglois2, Jan 14, 2021.

1. Windows automatic repair and bitlocker

I have blocker on my computer. When i updated the compete and restarted it today, it went into repair after the restart. It asks for the bitlocker password, which is fine. After passing the normal bitlocker page, it asks for the recovery key. It was 6 years ago that i set it up and cant find the key anywhere. I know the password, but not the key. I’m am at a loss right now for being able to use my compete again.

:)

RobertLanglois2, Jan 14, 2021
  2. Viruzz Win User

HELP: Automatic BitLocker Unlock.

Please help,
    Looking for a way( script or maybe some unknown windows command or registry hack) to automatically unlock a non OS BitLocker encrypted drive on Log-In.

My situation: Right now my OS SSD Samsung 840 Evo has a boot password, its not Bios option nor windows eDrive but the third one, the one you need 3rd party software to activate it, had to purchase EMBASSY Security Center to do it.
    No issues here, the OS drive is locked and encrypted.

One of My HDD Drives is encrypted with Bitlocker, so every time my PC is booted, I need to enter windows log-in password and then open my computer and enter another password to unlock the drive.
    Whats worse is that unlike the SSD that needs unlock password only after full shutdown the Bitlocker needs it every log-in.

Windows has an option to Automaticlly unlock all BitLocker drives on boot, BUT the issue here is that this official option only works if your OS drive is also BitLocker encrypted and then log-in password unlocks everything.

Im looking for maybe a windows Script or some Hidden command to automatically unlock the BitLocker drive.

Even if it Sounds insecure like having the actual password somewhere in the registry, text file or script I dont care because the OS drive is encrypted and passworded.
    Also I have a TPM chip I can encrypt any file/folder so even if file is copied from my PC when its fully unlocked the files wont be readable anywhere unless unencrypted before.

If its important im on 8.1 pro 64bit

P.S. If there is no solution for my problem then my only choice is when windows 10 comes out to do a clean install on another Samsung 840 Evo that was previously cleared and eDrive option enabled

Thanks in advance.

Viruzz, Jan 14, 2021
  3. Viruzz Win User

Thank you sir, ill try your solution.

Windows Auto unlock ONLY works in case you have Bitlocker on your system drive, because if your system drive is not encrypted auto unlocking other drives means loss of security.
    But in my case my system drive is Encrypted with hardware encryption that i password unlock during boot. So auto unlocking Bitlocker drives will do fine for me.

Viruzz, Jan 14, 2021
  4. Windows automatic repair and bitlocker

more clear
    0down voteaccepted
    I managed to figure out how to fix this. It doesn't use the native auto-unlock function like I was hoping (rather a script that unlocks using a .BEK file, as I mentioned) but it seems to work just as well.

First, you need to create a .BEK file that can unlock the disk. This is the command I used:

manage-bde -protectors -add d: -rk c:\

Substitute d: with whichever drive you want to auto-unlock. The output will look something like this (take note of the "external key file name"):

BitLocker Drive Encryption: Configuration Tool version 10.0.10011
    Copyright (C) 2013 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Key Protectors Added:

Saved to directory c:\

External Key:
    ID: {9DDF4900-5E08-479A-8C4C-6ADE2DA00551}
    External Key File Name:
    9DDF4900-5E08-479A-8C4C-6ADE2DA00551.BEK

Now you need to create the script to unlock the drive. Just create a batch file in the root directory with the following line:

manage-bde -unlock d: -rk C:\[external key filename]

Again, replace d: with the correct drive letter. Replace [external key filename] with the filename you got before.

Finally, you need to tell Windows to run this script at startup, before you log in. (Or at least I needed it to run then, because that's where my desktop, etc. are stored.) Here's how you do that:

• Press Win+R and enter gpedit.msc. (This is only in Pro, but so is BitLocker, so that's not an issue here.)

• On the left, navigate to Computer Configuration > Windows Settings > Scripts (Startup/Shutdown)

• Double-click "Startup" on the right

• Click "Add..." and select the batch file you created before.

• Click OK and exit Group Policy Editor.
    Now you can reboot the computer to test it. You should see your drive automatically unlocked

Rafa anabe, Jan 14, 2021
Thema:

Windows automatic repair and bitlocker

1. Windows automatic repair and bitlocker - Similar Threads - automatic repair bitlocker

2. Bitlocker recovery key stuck with automatic repairs

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bitlocker recovery key stuck with automatic repairs: I did a antivirus scan and set it to restart after it finished. And ever since then, my Asus rog strix g15 laptop has been stuck in this loop of auto repairs. Ive tried a lot of different things but none have seem to work. I don't hav a restore point so it wont let me do that...
  3. Bitlocker recovery key stuck with automatic repairs

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bitlocker recovery key stuck with automatic repairs: I did a antivirus scan and set it to restart after it finished. And ever since then, my Asus rog strix g15 laptop has been stuck in this loop of auto repairs. Ive tried a lot of different things but none have seem to work. I don't hav a restore point so it wont let me do that...
  4. Windows automatic repair

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows automatic repair: I can’t get past windows automatic repair and when I try and reset it it says that it was unable to reset. Also it says that my password is incorrect. I’ve tried everything possible to do from the screen and nothing seems to work. I’ve even tried resetting the computer and...
  5. Windows automatic repair

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows automatic repair: Hi, I have a problem with my windows computer which when I came home and I turned it on it started in automatic repair tool.However the password will not be accepted. I have tried to change my password and it still does not accept. I have tried to boot the computer several...
  6. Windows automatic repair

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows automatic repair: Hi, I have a problem with my windows computer which when I came home and I turned it on it started in automatic repair tool.However the password will not be accepted. I have tried to change my password and it still does not accept. I have tried to boot the computer several...
  7. repairing automatic repair

in Windows 10 Customization
    repairing automatic repair: Continuously getting "repairing automatic repair" how to fix it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/repairing-automatic-repair/ca594e7c-ea3e-4f2f-b52c-cb48cf81519e
  8. Automatic repair failing - Lost bitlocker recovery key.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Automatic repair failing - Lost bitlocker recovery key.: I have a Windows 10 laptop with bitlocker turned on. Bitlocker was turned on before my time it seems. Our Sys Admin has no idea where the key would be. Anyways the machine is in a "automatic repair failed" loop and won't boot up. Any solution to fix boot issues on this thing?...
  9. Windows automatic repair

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows automatic repair: Hi, I have a windows 10 Panasonic laptop which is stuck on the windows automatic repair option. Nothing is working to nrestore the laptop. Please could you help. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-automatic-repair/b27d1d17-fba4-403b-afbe-5b2a1820ed33
  10. Automatic repair loop. Bitlocker or drive problem maybe?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Automatic repair loop. Bitlocker or drive problem maybe?: My windows 10 desktop froze and after some time of waiting, I did a hard shutdown. It then went into automatic repair and wouldn't fix the issue. I tried restarting and that didn't work, and I'm now in a restore loop. I tried restoring to a restore point, but I couldn't click...