Windows 10: Windows Automatic Repair Restores Data From Wrong PC

Discus and support Windows Automatic Repair Restores Data From Wrong PC in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; After a few failed boots my NUC PC went into automatic repair mode. When I returned home I found that my 120gb ssd was loaded with data from another pc... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Wilem35, Jul 31, 2020.

1. Wilem35 Win User

Windows Automatic Repair Restores Data From Wrong PC

After a few failed boots my NUC PC went into automatic repair mode. When I returned home I found that my 120gb ssd was loaded with data from another pc in my home. This PC is backed up via OneDrive and both are under the same microsoft account. I don't understand why it would do this and am hoping there is a backup of the original data somewhere in the cloud?

Thanks

:)

Wilem35, Jul 31, 2020

2. Windows 10 random automatic repair after changing boot priority.

Hello. So i have an Windows 10 Pro. Sometimes when i am changing in bios boot order from USB to HDD ( SDD ) windows starts booting with AUTOMATIC REPAIR and then restarting. Is this something with BIOS \ Windows 10 bug related? Tested on pc and on laptop , and sometimes it doing the same.

Situation on PC first,listen:

Few days ago after i change boot in UEFI BIOS from USB to SSD.
    Then Windows 10 showed at 1 boot Automatic Repair.
    When starting Windows 10 boot loader starts by "preparing automatic repair" and diagnosing pc.
    Interesting is that if I restart Windows (after procedure mentioned earlier) it will boot normally. This startup problem was occured only when starting system again after shutdown or restarted pc from windows.So i was needed 2 boots to boot properly to windows.
    But on pc, format was needed to remove completely issue and after format is fine.

Pc :
    2x8gb Kingston Hyperx 1600mhz DDR3
    SSD samsung Evo 250 gb
    4790k stock
    Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark 2 with UEFI BIOS

Now laptop with old standard bios:
    On laptop i made the same operation, change boot from USB to HDD and on first boot Windows 10 shows Automatic Repair. But it happened once and i cant reproduce. No format was needed.

laptop is very old with 2gb ram

Why on pc format was needed when on laptop not?

Thanks for suggestions.

litwicki24, Jul 31, 2020
  3. Mark Isi Win User
    Windows won't reset or restore, Automatic repair loop

Hi Bruno,

When the Automatic repair fails, we can suggest using the command prompt from Windows 10 Boot Options menu to run bootrec commands to fix the files the Auto Repair couldn't. Here are the steps:

• On the windows Recovery Option, choose Troubleshoot >
      Advanced Options
    • Select Command Prompt.
    • Enter the following commands in the Command Prompt:
    • bootrec.exe /rebuildbcd
    • bootrec.exe /fixmbr
    • bootrec.exe /fixboot
    Once the repair is done, restart your PC and check if the issue is resolved. Let us know the outcome, so we could provide further assistance as necessary.

We'll keep an eye out to your response.

Mark Isi, Jul 31, 2020
  4. Windows Automatic Repair Restores Data From Wrong PC

HELP! Windows 10 automatic repair couldn't repair PC. Details below

Hi Matthew,

As you are facing issue withAutomatic Repair, we would assist you for sure.

In order to understand the issue in a better manner, please share the following details

• I tried system restore” What is the error exact error message you received?

If automatic repair fails, you may try to repair them using these commands through Command Prompt under Advanced Options. Follow the steps:

Since you have done most of the troubleshooting steps, I would suggest you to try repairing the Boot Configuration Data through the command prompt by following the steps below and check if it helps.

I suggest you re-built the boot record by following the below commands and check if it helps.

You will have to use Windows 10 installation media to follow the steps to boot into Recovery Environment and try to rebuild BCD.

Step 1: I suggest you to create an installation media for
    Windows 10 using the media creation tool:

Installing Windows 10 using the media creation tool

Step 2: After preparing the installation media, insert it hard reboot the device and follow the below:

• Boot into Windows Recovery Environment using the Windows 10 installation media.
    • Click on Repair your computer.
    • Click on Troubleshoot and in the advanced options.
    • Select Command Prompt. Type the following commands into the prompt and press Enter key after each command.

• bootrec /fixmbr

• bootrec /fixboot

• bootrec /scanos

• bootrec /rebuildbcd
    5. Restart the computer.

NOTE: Modifying BIOS/ complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting
    from the configuring of BIOS/CMOS settings can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk.

Hope it helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of this issue for further assistance.

Thank you.

Vidyashree_C, Jul 31, 2020
Thema:

Windows Automatic Repair Restores Data From Wrong PC

1. Windows Automatic Repair Restores Data From Wrong PC - Similar Threads - Automatic Repair Restores

2. Automatic Repair not working and cannot restore PC at all

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Automatic Repair not working and cannot restore PC at all: My laptop, which came pre-loaded with Windows 10 and was upgraded to 11 with the free update, will not load Windows. It keeps running the Automatic repair and diagnosing PC function which fails every time. I have tried to restore the PC by choosing restore keep files, restore...
  3. Automatic Repair not working and cannot restore PC at all

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Automatic Repair not working and cannot restore PC at all: My laptop, which came pre-loaded with Windows 10 and was upgraded to 11 with the free update, will not load Windows. It keeps running the Automatic repair and diagnosing PC function which fails every time. I have tried to restore the PC by choosing restore keep files, restore...
  4. Automatic Repair not working and cannot restore PC at all

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. restore from system restore point to repair cFos. Now can't repair the PC.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    restore from system restore point to repair cFos. Now can't repair the PC.: Been having some problems with a PC lately. I can probably narrow it down to an auto update and install while AFK. Problem is the update never worked because the PC didn't shutdown properly and that's because it had corrupt system files that were not noticed because of being...
  6. restore from system restore point to repair cFos. Now can't repair the PC.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    restore from system restore point to repair cFos. Now can't repair the PC.: Been having some problems with a PC lately. I can probably narrow it down to an auto update and install while AFK. Problem is the update never worked because the PC didn't shutdown properly and that's because it had corrupt system files that were not noticed because of being...
  7. restore from system restore point to repair cFos. Now can't repair the PC.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. Automatic repair in pc

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Automatic repair in pc: When i switched on my pc it started showing preparing automatic repair And it started to go in loop what shall i do now? I dont want to lose any data or files https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/automatic-repair-in-pc/06c08229-c5a4-46ef-a176-b52340549c18
  9. Windows System Repair Restores data from another pc.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows System Repair Restores data from another pc.: My Intel NUC HTPC wouldn't boot this morning and went into automatic repair mode. When I returned a few hours later my pc was running fine but with the data from another PC in my home. I assume this was because this other pc was setup to keep back ups in the cloud while my...
  10. automatic repair couldn’t repair pc

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    automatic repair couldn’t repair pc: hello all I have an HP laptop with windows 10 and the other night after restarting my computer it got stuck on the spinning circle then popped up auto repair couldn’t repair your PC. The log file is:C:\WINDOWS\System32\Logfiles\Srt\SrtTrail.txt After going into the...