Windows 10: Windows automatically adding a Public Network

Discus and support Windows automatically adding a Public Network in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Whenever I am creating a new Wifi connection (after resetting the Wifi Driver) windows is creating a Public Network automatically. Screenshot is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by JahangirNadaf, Sep 7, 2018.

1. Windows automatically adding a Public Network

Whenever I am creating a new Wifi connection (after resetting the Wifi Driver) windows is creating a Public Network automatically.

Screenshot is attached herewith.

I am having Windows 10 Pro Version 1803.

Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265

Driver - 18.33.13.4

I don't know how come this network is getting added. And I am having frequent Wifi disconnects. I have almost used all Intel Drivers for this Wifi Card.

Any help in this matter will be highly appreciated.

:)

JahangirNadaf, Sep 7, 2018

2. Network showing as public

Hi Connor,

By default, the public network location type is assigned to any new networks when they are first connected. A public network is considered to be shared with the world, with no protection between the local computer and any other computer. Therefore,
    the Windows Firewall rules associated with the public profile are the most restrictive.

To change settings from public to private, follow the steps below:

• Open the Locale Security Policy.
    • In the left pane, click/tap on Network List Manager Policies.
    • In the right pane of Network List Manager Policies, double click/tap on your network name
    • Click/tap on the Network Location tab.
    • Under Location type, select Private.
    • Under User permissions, select (dot) User cannot change location.
    • Click/tap on OK, and close Local Security Policy.

Note: You must be signed in as an administrator to be able to change the network location of a network adapter.

Let us know if you have other questions.

Martin Bar, Sep 7, 2018
  3. Change Network from Public to Private

Hi,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

I suggest you to follow the steps below to
    change your network from Public to Private:

• Type PowerShell in Search Window and then right click on it and click on
      Run as Administrator.

• Type the following command to find your interface Index:
      Get-NetConnectionProfile

• Use your interface index (for example 5) with this command:
      Set-NetConnectionProfile -InterfaceIndex 5 -NetworkCategory Private

• Now reboot the device and check if the network has changed from Public to Private.
    Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Giridhar J, Sep 7, 2018
  4. Argel Obm Win User

Windows automatically adding a Public Network

Windows 10 v1709 switches from Private to Public network

Hi Bruce,

It is possible that there is an issue with the network profiles of the computer and that can be the reason why the network always switches to Public network. We recommend that you delete all known network profiles to resolve the issue. To do this, follow
    these steps:

• Open command prompt as administrator.
    • In the command prompt window, type netsh wlan show profiles
      and press Enter.
    • Type netsh wlan delete profile name=[ProfileName] and press Enter.
    • Repeat the third step for the rest of network profiles you've seen after running the command in the second step.
    • Check if the network will still switch to Public.

Keep us posted.

Argel Obm, Sep 7, 2018
Thema:

Windows automatically adding a Public Network

1. Windows automatically adding a Public Network - Similar Threads - automatically adding Public

2. public network !

in Windows 10 Gaming
    public network !: is it possible to delete everything to do with a public network on my computer because im sick and tired of it turning on by its self i dont ever sign on usiing one i never will and i just want the whole option deleted off my computer ?...
  3. public network !

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    public network !: is it possible to delete everything to do with a public network on my computer because im sick and tired of it turning on by its self i dont ever sign on usiing one i never will and i just want the whole option deleted off my computer ?...
  4. public network !

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Public or Private Network

Public or Private Network: Hello, May I ask: Should a home PC user select (from their network properties) the Public or Private Network Option? I don't want my PC to be viewed or discoverable by any neighbors in the WiFi Network. I will not be file sharing. Just simply want security. Thanks...
  6. Network public category?

Network public category?: Why is my network connected to a public category? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/network-public-category/6eeb37d2-b476-42bc-93ec-7ac83a04fda0
  7. Public Network

Public Network: Why does my home network show up as a public network instead of a private network? I have an xFinity gateway. I know it has hot spots built into it, but I have turned the hot spots off. Is there a way I can move the network from public to private in Windows?...
  8. network category automatically set as Public

network category automatically set as Public: How do I change category to Private? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/network-category-automatically-set-as-public/bc17a614-ccbd-4605-944c-c4a76ee023e4
  9. Public network.

Public network.: From the beginning that i install windows 10 i had a homenetwork (network 1).Now it is switchd to a public network (network 2).How is that happen? How can i back to my home network (network 1) ? 44257
  10. Network defaults to public

Network defaults to public: I have noticed in the last couple of builds the network defaults to public instead of private. I can see that on a tablet but not on a desktop. It is not hard to change the network to private but I wonder how the upgrade will behave on the millions of users who have small...