Windows 10: Windows automatically self upgraded to another version?!

Discus and support Windows automatically self upgraded to another version?! in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; After buying a MSI gaming laptop GS75-9sf - 243 I immediately upgraded the 3 M.2 SSD's and reinstalled a fresh version of W10 Home. Then after a few... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by RonaldTerlitsky, Sep 28, 2020.

1. Windows automatically self upgraded to another version?!

After buying a MSI gaming laptop GS75-9sf - 243 I immediately upgraded the 3 M.2 SSD's and reinstalled a fresh version of W10 Home. Then after a few months I tried to retrieve my W10-Pro key from my MS account page. But of course now there's no OneStore and my email is no longer in Outlook. So I tried a key I had purchased last year at an online retailer but it said it that key was invalid. Then yesterday all of a sudden it showed that I needed to Activate my version of Windows,,, it had upgraded itself from Home to Enterprise edition. So after a couple of hours of frustration I used the Media Creation tool and had to use my external 5Tb Seagate portable drive. Huge mistake because it not only made 3 partitions but erased over 4.5 Terabytes of my backups I can never recover. Then I spent another few hours reading posts about the Pro to Enterprise auto update bug. Thanks Microsoft!! And then spent even more time utilizing DOS, Powershell, and free software to get rid of the 3 partitions and reformat the Drive. Lots of fun and again Thanks Microsoft! So after more reading I had to sign into a Local account then sign into my MS account. At this point it now went directly to Pro version and NOT the original Home version. The Home OEM key is stored in the BIOS and I retrieved that but when I tried to use it during the Enterprise version it said it was invalid. This is absolutely F'n stupid! Will Microsoft ever get their heads out of their @ss??? Now I'm going to just shut off any and all updates because of this BS. Oh and Thanks Microsoft! Anyone else have to endure this unnecessary mayhem and loss of Data???

:)

RonaldTerlitsky, Sep 28, 2020
  2. P4-630 Win User

Microsoft to push automatic Windows 10 upgrades in 2016

"Microsoft has announced that Windows 10 will be automatically rolled out next year to all users of its older operating systems who have selected to receive updates.

Until now, users of Windows 7 and 8 have needed to register to upgrade to Windows 10. But that's about to change: soon the OS will be listed as an 'Optional Update' and -- from 2016 -- a 'recommended' update that will automatically install itself, if users have opted to receive updates in that way.*Shadedshun :shadedshu:

You can opt out of automatic updates to avoid this, but Microsoftsays that "we strongly discourage this in today’s connected world because of the constant risk of internet threats". You can also change your Windows Update settings to install critical updates but not recommended ones. Although it's still going to be possible to avoid installation, Microsoft seems quite determined for everyone to be using Windows 10 in near future.

The roll-out of reserved updates was initially staggered but, according to Microsoft, now Windows "will automatically kick off the upgrade process once you have made a reservation".

As an intermediate stage, Microsoft says that it will "soon" publish Windows 10 as an optional update, not installed by default, but accessible to all users.
    "

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive...rade-to-be-rolled-out-automatically-next-year

P4-630, Sep 28, 2020
  3. Vista Automatic Updating Error

Automatic Updates isn't currently running.

DistantDeath, Sep 28, 2020
  4. Windows automatically self upgraded to another version?!

Anyone can upgrade to Windows 8 Pro for $14.99.

Microsoft cracked down on the upgrade requirements you now need a windows 7 key OEM or Retail but the code its self needs to be one they listed in there upgrades system, So old keys wont work.

Live OR Die, Sep 28, 2020
Thema:

Windows automatically self upgraded to another version?!

1. Windows automatically self upgraded to another version?! - Similar Threads - automatically self upgraded

2. Upgrade windows version

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Upgrade windows version: Upgrade windows version home editon to proffesional https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrade-windows-version/03c36a3b-7519-4cd7-8b73-d3115a3559e0
  3. Upgrade windows version

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Upgrade windows version: Upgrade windows version home editon to proffesional https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrade-windows-version/03c36a3b-7519-4cd7-8b73-d3115a3559e0
  4. Upgrade windows version

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Windows 11 Should Have A New Significant Version of It's Self

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Should Have A New Significant Version of It's Self: I saw Windows 11 having certain issues in a very large amount of days. With the not barely good looking interface, battery problems, and the default wallpaper that ain't like Windows 10's oldest wallpaper. Since that is the case, please, somebody who hangs out with a...
  6. Windows 11 Should Have A New Significant Version of It's Self

Windows 11 Should Have A New Significant Version of It's Self: I saw Windows 11 having certain issues in a very large amount of days. With the not barely good looking interface, battery problems, and the default wallpaper that ain't like Windows 10's oldest wallpaper. Since that is the case, please, somebody who hangs out with a...
  7. Set Time Automatically Turns Off By It Self

Set Time Automatically Turns Off By It Self: Hi,Working on a bunch of 2016 & 2019 servers in a CCTV application and time sync is very important. All computers are in local workgroup, no domain. I have found servers with the wrong time and the Set Time Automatically Option grayed out or turned off. I click to enable and...
  8. Set Time Automatically Turns Off By It Self

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Set Time Automatically Turns Off By It Self: Hi,Working on a bunch of 2016 & 2019 servers in a CCTV application and time sync is very important. All computers are in local workgroup, no domain. I have found servers with the wrong time and the Set Time Automatically Option grayed out or turned off. I click to enable and...
  9. Windows 10 version 2004 corrupts it self after fresh install and after upgrade

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 version 2004 corrupts it self after fresh install and after upgrade: About two weeks ago , i received Windows 10 version 2004 upgrade in windows update , I was on version 1909 which was working really great and effectively i didnt do a single format using it and didnt have to, after the update ,the second day my pc crashed randomly with green...
  10. Upgrading from Windows 10 LTSC 1809 to another version

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrading from Windows 10 LTSC 1809 to another version: I get that LTSB and LTSC's whole thing is that "stability" side of things. But since 1809 is incredibly buggy and royally sucks, I want to know if there is a way to move LTSC to a different version. Trying to deploy LTSC 2019 (1809) on my campus but the stupid default...