Windows 10: Windows back up will not back up

Discus and support Windows back up will not back up in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I have tried several times to back up my computer to an external hard drive and I keep getting the error "Invalid window handle". How do I fix this so... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Trevorvh1, Apr 5, 2016.

1. Trevorvh1 Win User

Windows back up will not back up

I have tried several times to back up my computer to an external hard drive and I keep getting the error "Invalid window handle". How do I fix this so I can create a system image?

:)

Trevorvh1, Apr 5, 2016

2. To back up files or to not back up files...that is the question.

Hi, I have two laptops that I have reserved the upgrade for. One is personal and the other is for school. Will I need to back up any of my files prior to upgrading to windows 10 or will they be safe during the upgrade. I don't play any streaming games
    or such so that is not a problem. I just want to know if my music, video and text/documents need to be backed up.

Thank you.

KatrinaManis, Apr 5, 2016
  3. To back up files or to not back up files...that is the question.

Backup your computer:

When making significant changes to your computer such as updating the operating system, you should always backup. See links to resources about backing up by clicking the link for the respective version of Windows you are running:

Windows XP
    Windows Vista
    Windows 7
    Windows 8/8.1

Also review:

How to: 10 Tips before
    installing the latest Windows 10 build

How to: 10 things
    to do if Windows 10 Setup fails.

Once you have installed these important updates and followed the prerequisite instructions, you should be ready to receive your
    free update to Windows 10 this summer.

Andre Da Costa, Apr 5, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, I can't offer an immediate solution, but for anyone who reads this, the threads below show things people have tried but not succeeded in solving it.

You could consider trying an in-place upgrade repair install, as SFC /Scannow, clean boot, new user profile etc don't seem to help (see following).
    Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade - Windows 10 Forums
    This keeps everything, including most associations, windows updates to date will be redone.
    The boot medium must match your major build.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...2fee5c5?auth=1
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...7-af43099a0c5d
    Windows Backup & Restore fails with "Invalid Window Handle" Error Code: 0x80070578 - Even Still - Windows Answers

Meanwhile, I suggest you might like to consider using Macrium Reflect (free) + its boot medium - far more versatile, with many more features, and considered more reliable by people here.

dalchina, Apr 6, 2016
  5. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there
    What are you using as your Backup software.

Most people on this Forum would advise you to get a FREE Imaging program - Macrium seems to be the most popular - although there are a few other decent ones too. Make a bootable USB stick so you can recover even if you hose your HDD completely.

When Imaging the OS with Macrium to external HDD remember also to include the small reserved system partition as well as the "C" (OS) partition.
    Also only have OS and programs in the "C" partition - keep data etc on other partitions / HDD.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Apr 5, 2018
Thema: