Windows 10: Windows backup application that supports EXT4?

Discus and support Windows backup application that supports EXT4? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Hello My question isn't specific to Windows 10, but this forum has a lot of traction so I figured I could ask here. I run an automated backup job... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Winfried, Mar 22, 2017.

1. Winfried Win User

Windows backup application that supports EXT4?

Hello

My question isn't specific to Windows 10, but this forum has a lot of traction so I figured I could ask here.

I run an automated backup job every day to copy files from my main drive to a second drive in the same computer.
    I got hit recently by ransomware, which encrypted files on both disks. Thankfully, I had a backup on another drive that was recently disconnected so didn't lose important files.

As a cheaper alternative to getting a NAS to run eg. rsync between Windows and the NASI was thinking of…
    • partitioning the second drive as EXT4
    • running a Windows backup application that can access EXT4 partitions natively, so that the partition would still be off-limit to Windows

Is there such a thing?

Thank you.

:)

Winfried, Mar 22, 2017
  2. Jampe Win User

Full backup the N900

Hi SUMEDHE5DMS,

You can take a backup of your N900 device either by using the backup application in N900 or by using

Nokia Suite

It is recommended to use the N900 backup application if a complete backup is required. The N900 backup will make it possible to restore e.g. the installed applications, like you want, while the Nokia Suite backup provides more limited backup
    support.

You can take a backup with the N900 backup application in the following way:

• In Application menu, select Backup
    • Select New backup
    • Give the name for the backup
    • Select the location where backup will be stored
    • Select the data to be backed up
    To restore from the backup:

• In Application menu, select Backup
    • Select the backup from the list
    • Select Restore
    • Select the data to be restored
    Hope this helps!

Jampe, Mar 22, 2017
  3. location of back up files Mac OS X?

Within ~/Library/Application Support/Windows Phone 7 Connector/Devices you will see a folder for each device. Inside each device folder is a Backup folder which contains all the backups for a single device.

Scott M - MSFT, Mar 22, 2017
  4. clam1952 Win User

Not a backup program but Paragon ExtFS for Windows will apparently read / write to an EXT2,3 or 4 filesystem.

Write / read access to Linux files under Windows(R) - Paragon ExtFS for Windows(R)

As it's a driver that mounts the disk / partition, I presume any Windows backup program would write to it.
    No guarantees as not tried it, there are a few free drivers however it seems to be a bit hit and miss as to if they actually work!

clam1952, Mar 22, 2017
  5. Winfried Win User
    Thanks for the link. I'll check if the driver can only be activated before and after running the backup application, although that still leaves a window opportunity for a virus to hit the files.

Winfried, Mar 22, 2017
  6. SummerTim Win User
    SummerTim, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows backup application that supports EXT4? - Similar Threads - backup application supports

2. Windows backup application

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows backup application: Hello,Latest windows update09.23 gave us new backup application. When i open it it says: "This feature is not supported by your organization".How can i make it accessible to company employees?...
  3. Windows backup application

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows backup application: Hello,Latest windows update09.23 gave us new backup application. When i open it it says: "This feature is not supported by your organization".How can i make it accessible to company employees?...
  4. Windows backup application

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Reading an EXT4 formatted usb

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Reading an EXT4 formatted usb: I have a EXT4 formatted from Kubuntu usb drive and Windows 11 fails to read it. Have read quite a few articles and attempted to install/use WSL2 to mount the usb, but no go.Edition Windows 10 ProVersion 22H2Installed on ‎16/‎01/‎2023OS build 19045.2846Experience Windows...
  6. How well does Windows support Ext4?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    How well does Windows support Ext4?: My current setup is: as SSD(Ext4) on 120 gb to root as SSD(Ext4) on 240 gb for games as SSD(Ext4) on 500 gb for videos and documents My gaming SSD seems a bit small and I am thinking of replacing it. That means I will have a spare SSD that I am planning to install...
  7. Backup My Applications?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Backup My Applications?: After two year of Feature Update failures and struggles with OOBE, I finally managed a clean install of W10 1909 from .iso. My files are in OneDrive and Dropbox, but reinstalling all my applications is a pain. Is there any way to backup just my applications, not Windows...
  8. How to read Ext4 in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    How to read Ext4 in Windows 10: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]Ext4 or Extended Files System version 4 is the file system for Linux. If you have a Windows 10 + Linux dual boot or have a hard drive formatted it in Ext4, how do you read in Windows 10? While Linux [...] This post How to read Ext4 in Windows 10 is from...
  9. Ext2/Ext3/Ext4 file reader for windows

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Ext2/Ext3/Ext4 file reader for windows: Hi folks If you have any Linux formatted HDD's (with Ext2/3/4) file system and you want to read directly from Windows - say external USB from another system and don't want to have to set up SAMBA and a Linux OS then this program handles it quite nicely. BTW Macrium free...
  10. Macrium Free EXT4 file system backup AND RESTORE --OK

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Macrium Free EXT4 file system backup AND RESTORE --OK: Hi there Those using things like NAS boxes / other servers with LINUX type OS's Macrium Reflect (current version - Free one I'm using) DOES backup Linux system Image (you don't need to CLONE) if file system is EXT4 - including Boot partition etc. It restores fine as...