Windows 10: Windows backup best practice: system image vs. personal documents

Discus and support Windows backup best practice: system image vs. personal documents in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Hello, I would like to make full system images to recover from a dead hard drive, and frequent incremental backups of my documents to recover from... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/sudomatrix, Jul 10, 2020.

1. Windows backup best practice: system image vs. personal documents

Hello,

I would like to make full system images to recover from a dead hard drive, and frequent incremental backups of my documents to recover from accidents/malware etc.

My documents are large (over 500GB). If I kept them in C: then system images would be huge slow and take a lot of storage. So I keep them on a network D: drive and keep everything there. But plenty of apps throw stuff in /AppData/, settings in the registry, and random folders like /Music /Videos /Pictures etc; iTunes puts huge iPhone backups in /AppData, Dropbox and Resilien don't work on network drives (I know you can trick them with links, but they won't get notified of file changes). Worst of all WSL keeps an entire filesystem and all my documents somewhere deep in /AppData.

I don't even know how to backup applications and settings. If I have to reinstall an OS I don't think I could restore applications and registry settings without reinstall every application from scratch.

So what's the best practice for backing up a lean system image and all personal documents and settings?

submitted by /u/sudomatrix
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/sudomatrix, Jul 10, 2020

2. BEST PRACTICES - BACKUPS

BE_H:

I have been thinking about what I should do along these lines.

Can you tell me exactly(step-by-step) how I would go about setting up each of the four items in your list on my computer?

(I just started using Win 10 so, I am not very knowledgeable in its use.)

Thank you very much.

AZFIREBALL, Jul 10, 2020
  3. BE_H Win User
    BEST PRACTICES - BACKUPS

Currently I am creating / taking the following backups on a scheduled basis.

1 - system repair disc - because I don't know if any tools used when booting from the disc may change when Windows applies updates

2 - Windows Image

3 - Windows backup

4 - file history - only my personal files

I'd like to know if what I'm doing is excessive especially when discussing the first 3 in the above list.

thanks

4. BulldogXX Win User

Windows backup best practice: system image vs. personal documents

BEST PRACTICES - BACKUPS

I don't know what a "Win backup" is. Windows 10 includes a version of the Windows 7 backup utility, but it's not for making backups. It's for restoring Windows 7 backups to Windows 10. Some people insist on making backups with it, but they eventually run
    into trouble.

As I mentioned, I don't use Windows' own utilities. I have Windows and all my installed software on the C drive, aka the system drive. I have all my data on a separate drive. I image the system drive and use backup software on the data drive, and I do this
    daily. There's nothing else to backup. I'm done.

Also, about the system repair disc, how often should I make one?

Can't help you there because, like I said, I don't make a system repair disk. My thought is: Why repair (and risk the chance of making things worse) when I can replace?

If you want to know why I use backup software for my data drive when I could just as easily image the data drive, that's my personal idiosyncrasy. The backup software stores my data in .zip format, which any computer can read. So in the event my computer
    melts down and I need to recover a file quickly, I can open it on any computer.

(And for any advanced readers out there, yes I'm aware of the benefits of proprietary formats for folder and file backups, like Macrium Reflect's format, and I do make those kind of backups also.)

BulldogXX, Jul 10, 2020
Thema:

Windows backup best practice: system image vs. personal documents

1. Windows backup best practice: system image vs. personal documents - Similar Threads - backup best practice

2. Best practices for multi computer syncing documents

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Best practices for multi computer syncing documents: Where can I find documentation on best practices for how to handle syncing cloud storage of the user documents folder from multiple machines with different application states? I'd like to better understand if/how documents are properly handled when different computers have...
  3. Best practices for multi computer syncing documents

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Best practices for multi computer syncing documents: Where can I find documentation on best practices for how to handle syncing cloud storage of the user documents folder from multiple machines with different application states? I'd like to better understand if/how documents are properly handled when different computers have...
  4. OneDrive best practice

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OneDrive best practice: Previously, I could not use OneDrive and was using SyncToy. Now I can use OneDrive but getting it set up is the problem. I have over 100GB to transfer but to this point I haven't been able to get 1GB out of a 10GB folder. I'm using LAN, not wireless and have a fiber optic...
  5. OneDrive best practice

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    OneDrive best practice: Previously, I could not use OneDrive and was using SyncToy. Now I can use OneDrive but getting it set up is the problem. I have over 100GB to transfer but to this point I haven't been able to get 1GB out of a 10GB folder. I'm using LAN, not wireless and have a fiber optic...
  6. System Image vs File Backup?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    System Image vs File Backup?: Sorry if this is the wrong subreddit for this, but after fiddling around with the Windows File System backup and having it run into a bunch of issues, I finally decided to get the Macrium Reflect software. Now that I have easier access to making a system image though, I’m...
  7. Windows Storage Space vs. Backup/Filesystem/System image recovery

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows Storage Space vs. Backup/Filesystem/System image recovery: Hi there, Couldn't find the exact info, so I'll ask here. -- Background -- I wanted to set RAID1 on 2 hard drives in my local machine, but due to chipset limitations I'd also have to replace AHCI headers with RAID0 on my current hard drives, what would most probably...
  8. File History vs System Image Backup

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    File History vs System Image Backup: Hi! I have a question regarding File History vs System Image Backup, that I haven't been able to find online unfortunately. System Image Backup is something that I understand can be scheduled to ones needs, daily, weekly or so forth, and can be done on specific folders...
  9. Imaging vs data backup software..is there a difference...which is best

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Imaging vs data backup software..is there a difference...which is best: There is so much on the web regarding backup software and so many backup software that it gets a little confusing. What is the difference between imaging backups and data backups? I have my OS and all my programs on an SSD Drive(C) and all Data Files on a Data Drive (D)...
  10. Best image backup for Windows 10

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Best image backup for Windows 10: What do people think is the best fastest full image backup for Windows 10, like Macrium or Paragon whatever, free or paid. Also being able to do an image to put on any PC or migrating to SSD etc. 2302