Windows 10: Windows Backup confused about Documents folder.

Discus and support Windows Backup confused about Documents folder. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I backed up to an external HDD, and when I selected folders to back up, I carefully picked what I wanted including Documents. After backup ran, I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Majikthyse, Jun 8, 2019.

1. Windows Backup confused about Documents folder.

I backed up to an external HDD, and when I selected folders to back up, I carefully picked what I wanted including Documents. After backup ran, I looked at what was on the drive. All the correct folders were there, but Documents had nothing in it, only a desktop.ini file. There seem to be 2 folders called Documents. If I look at Windows Explorer the Documents folder is there with all its sub-folders. But if I go to the path C:\users\Les\Documents I'm told that "the folder is empty". This seems to be what Backup is using, despite my selecting the one with the sub-folders. What is going on?

I tried backing up with a 3rd party app (Paragon) but the same thing happens. I am unable to back up my Documents folder whatever I do.

:)

Majikthyse, Jun 8, 2019

2. Downloads folder is the Documents folder

Hi Chris,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to Restore to Default the folders and document settings and see if it helps.

Step 1:

Please follow below steps and check if it helps.

• Go to Download folder.
    • Right click on the Download Folder and go to Properties.
    • In Properties go to Location tab.
    • In location Tab Click on Restore Default.

Step 2:

Please follow below steps and check if it helps.

• Go to Documents folder.
    • Right click on the Document folder and go to Properties.
    • In Properties go to Location tab.
    • In location Tab Click on Restore Default.
    After performing above steps change the settings as you required and check if it helps.

Hope these information helps, please get back to us for future support, we’ll be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Prabhavathi Patil, Jun 8, 2019
  3. MesPia Win User
    Windows Backup Confusion

After I specifically added the errant folder to my list of folders to backup, I was able to back it up. Normally, if a root folder, say Documents, is added to the backup list, all folders beneath the root folder are also backed up. But, apparently, this
    doesn't happen if a folder is added under a root folder after a previous backup has already taken place. Anyway, the backup is working now, but I think I'll still look for a third-party backup system. I don't really like the Microsoft method.

MesPia, Jun 8, 2019
  4. newtekie1 Win User

Windows Backup confused about Documents folder.

Cheap automatic backup for My Documents

Then use the Robocopy command. Here is the bat file I use to backup my data:

Code: @ECHO. @ECHO Backing Up @ECHO. @robocopy C:\Users\Administrator\Documents C:\Backup\Documents /MIR /ZB >> log.txt @ECHO. @ECHO Success! @Pause[/quote] This will only backup files that are new or changed, so after the first backup, it is a lot quicker than recopying every file every time you backup. Also if you delete a file from your documents folder, say because you don't need it anymore, it will be removed from the backup location also.

newtekie1, Jun 8, 2019
Thema:

Windows Backup confused about Documents folder.

1. Windows Backup confused about Documents folder. - Similar Threads - Backup confused Documents

2. Windows Backup confusion

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Backup confusion: When you purchase Windows 11, the recommendation is to store and read files in OneDrive. Then there is the recommendation to Backup your files to OneDrive.As there are no copies of files in this instance, what is the difference if you back up these files or not?I have noticed...
  3. Windows Backup confusion

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Backup confusion: When you purchase Windows 11, the recommendation is to store and read files in OneDrive. Then there is the recommendation to Backup your files to OneDrive.As there are no copies of files in this instance, what is the difference if you back up these files or not?I have noticed...
  4. Confusing documentation

in Windows 10 Customization
    Confusing documentation: Trying to customize the task barSo which one of these two is correct?https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/configuration/configure-windows-10-taskbarThat one is newer, has an image of what I am trying to do remove all but Start, Search, and Task VeiwOr this...
  5. Confused by different document folders

in Windows 10 Support
    Confused by different document folders: Hi, What is the difference between the document folder with a beige folder icon and the one with a page with a large 'A' and lines? Which one should I use to save my documents? Thanks, Candice document icon image.pdf Windows 10 Home, Version -10.0.19041 Build 19041 171987
  6. Confused about Backup Strategies

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Confused about Backup Strategies: I am in the process of acquiring a newer computer. It will be running Windows 10 Pro 64 bit. My thinking is to clone or make an image of all the programs on drive C: I was thinking of placing this file on an SSD. Is it possible to make this file available on the Cloud? I...
  7. Goodsync - confused about Synchronize or Backup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Goodsync - confused about Synchronize or Backup: I need to backup my computer. It was quite a while ago, but I've used Goodsync in the past and remember it being really good. I just purchased/installed the most recent version. But I am very confused about the difference between "Backup" and "Synchronize", and between "File...
  8. Confused about Windows folder structure

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Confused about Windows folder structure: I'm hoping someone can help clear my confusion about the Windows 10 folder structure. I will take the "Documents" folder as an example. There is a Documents folder under OneDrive, which I assume is the Cloud copy of documents. There is a Documents folder under This PC,...
  9. Backup confusions

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Backup confusions: I have CREATE A SYSTEM IMAGE on my external hard disk do I need to opt for SET UP BACKUP option? Also is it important to create SYSTEM REPAIR DISK, what does it do and can't i create it in same external hard disk? And how to check if system image has been created properly?...
  10. Confused about backup

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Confused about backup: [img] I'm new to Win 10 and yesterday tried to back up my files for the first time. I went to setting>update & security>backup and tried to backup on a flash drive (to transfer to ext. HD), but got a message that files not yet backed up. I then exported my Firefox folders...