Windows 10: Windows Backup problems

Discus and support Windows Backup problems in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Split from this thread. I've been trying to create a backup and system image for some time now, but my computer keeps stalling at 97% completion... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by olaruAndrei, Dec 18, 2018.

1. Windows Backup problems

Split from this thread.​

I've been trying to create a backup and system image for some time now, but my computer keeps stalling at 97% completion (creating a system image) even when I leave it overnight.

Tool I'm using: Control Panel\System and Security\Backup and Restore (Windows 7)

The system image should be less than 300GB and I'm using a 400 GB partition on an external hard drive to create the backup.

Steps I've taken:

- Run windows defender to remove a virus (this was the initial reason I couldn't create a system image)

- Turn off windows defender

- I've removed any previous "partial system image" or backup files from the partitioned hard drive each time I try.

The process stops at 97% each time as it's trying to create a system image.

How can I troubleshoot and get this process completed?

Thank you.

:)

olaruAndrei, Dec 18, 2018
  2. Guitar Win User

Windows Backup Problems

Having a problem backing up Windows 7, need help. Basically, I am having the problem in which the backup will not create at all and fails at the shadow copy. This happens in Windows Backup using both the disk image backup and the personal file backup. It goes to maybe 5%-8% of Shadow Copy depending on the backup type and fails. The error that comes in event viewer is 0x81000019. Yes the disk is brand new and double the size of C:.

I tried the fix of making a new 490mb system reserve partition and that did not help (http://social.technet.microsoft.com...l/thread/fce6950d-c06d-4dd0-a850-67022db4fe04) I formatted the disk several times and that didn't help. I tried a third party program, Comodo backup, and that too failed to operate I would say based on the shadow copy service. I tried this fix as well (http://social.technet.microsoft.com...aac-a0af-4740-a331-2b14d604a846?prof=required) and I failed at the regsvr32 es.dll, regsvr32 msxml3.dll, regsvr32 msxml4.dll commands, and WMI Writer when using the vssadmin list writers command was not responding. I've also tried stopping and restarting the service.

Besides doing a manual backup using Acronis, which is not preferred at this point, I don't know how to fix this.

Guitar, Dec 18, 2018
  3. Guitar Win User
    Windows Backup Problems

Well I'm glad you don't, but this is in an environment where as little downtime as possible is wanted and it is much easier to restore an image with all programs and data then reinstall everything and settings and all.

Have you tried any steps to resolve it?

Guitar, Dec 18, 2018
  4. Geekoid Win User

Windows Backup problems

Using network hard drive for backup

It depends what sort of backup you want to do. If you're happy just backing up regular files, then there are a bazillion (really, that many!) different bits of freeware to do that. There is a good list here:

Download Back Up Tools for Windows - MajorGeeks

and pretty much all of them can do network backups. Some even have fancy options like encryption. Really, the most useful thing is just being able to schedule them and know they ran OK.

You may also want to make a system image backup too, and you'll find that software in the very same list.

I don't have Windows 8 as yet, so I'm afraid I can't suggest any for that platform. Personally, I use Clonezilla for image backups.

Geekoid, Dec 18, 2018
Thema:

Windows Backup problems

1. Windows Backup problems - Similar Threads - Backup problems

2. HP USB X796w Backup Location Problem

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    HP USB X796w Backup Location Problem: I have a USB pendrive named x796w which is of 128GBWith USB 3.2, I have purchased it so that I could create a system image in it, bu when I go to Backup and RestoreWindows 7 and click on "create system image" option then I do not get my pendrive listed in that menu, all other...
  3. HP USB X796w Backup Location Problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HP USB X796w Backup Location Problem: I have a USB pendrive named x796w which is of 128GBWith USB 3.2, I have purchased it so that I could create a system image in it, bu when I go to Backup and RestoreWindows 7 and click on "create system image" option then I do not get my pendrive listed in that menu, all other...
  4. HP USB X796w Backup Location Problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Phish!pz cause a backup problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Phish!pz cause a backup problem: WIN10 system.For about two weeks, when making a backup, the system interrupts it with an error message and the Microsoft security program built into the system reports a message about the detection of unwanted software Trojan:HTML/Phish!pz, at the same time informing that it...
  6. Phish!pz cause a backup problem

Phish!pz cause a backup problem: WIN10 system.For about two weeks, when making a backup, the system interrupts it with an error message and the Microsoft security program built into the system reports a message about the detection of unwanted software Trojan:HTML/Phish!pz, at the same time informing that it...
  7. Phish!pz cause a backup problem

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  8. Problems with creating backup on Windows 11 of just one drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problems with creating backup on Windows 11 of just one drive: I work on a laptop with 2 m.2 drives, one is primarily for work/systems and the other is for games as they are big. My main C drive has received a warning about possible failure, 'Warning: reliability is degraded Back up your data in case of drive failure' and as a result, I...
  9. Problems with creating backup on Windows 11 of just one drive

Problems with creating backup on Windows 11 of just one drive: I work on a laptop with 2 m.2 drives, one is primarily for work/systems and the other is for games as they are big. My main C drive has received a warning about possible failure, 'Warning: reliability is degraded Back up your data in case of drive failure' and as a result, I...
  10. Recover last Image Backup containing problem that lead to resetting my computer???

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Recover last Image Backup containing problem that lead to resetting my computer???: I have an auto-scheduled Image Backup every so often. My computer just crashed and I suspect it was due to the last update performed, which was updating the BIOS. I believe somehow it was corrupted. I performed a system reset. My question: If I recover my last Image Backup,...