Windows 10: Windows Backup & Restore: 4 hours to make a backup

Discus and support Windows Backup & Restore: 4 hours to make a backup in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Before Creators I had Windows Backup and Restore routine set to make a daily backup of my SSD which contains only the C drive and my programs.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Stevekir, May 5, 2017.

1. Stevekir Win User

Windows Backup & Restore: 4 hours to make a backup

Before Creators I had Windows Backup and Restore routine set to make a daily backup of my SSD which contains only the C drive and my programs. Documents, Pictures etc. are redirected to an internal spinning HDD where these folders are actually stored). I chose the "Let Windows choose" radio button on the window "Setup and Restore", What do you want to backup?" The backup took 15 minutes.

After Creators the backup goes off aiming for over 4 HOURS before I cancel! I can see why. The "View details" button shows all my Documents, Pictures etc. being included from the internal HDD despite only the C drive being included in the backup.

Still on Creators I then choose the other "Let me choose" radio button. After unchecking every and all signs of anything that I don't want included (eg., Documents, Pictures) and making sure that the internal HHD is unchecked, it takes 40 minutes. (I don't have a "Windows.old" file). Surely it should take only the 15 minutes pre-creators mentioned above. 40 minutes backing up tends to slow the computer down and I can't predict when I will not be using the comp.

>>Why the big change following Creators? Does anyone else have this?

>>Also, I'm not sure that the "let me choose" approach would actually boot the computer, given my unchecking of what I think is unecessary.

Yes, I have daily Macrium images being made and have a Macrium Rescue disc. Perhaps I should ditch W Backup and Restore.

>>Can anyone recommend a bootable rescue system as a fallback to Macrium (which seems very reliable, but you never know....)

Thanks

:)

Stevekir, May 5, 2017

2. System Restore Error 0x80042302 Windows 10

This answer is terrible. You can't get to services.msc when you are booting from a usb recovery disc. The image is not corrupted. This is just another **** product from Microsoft. Still no working backup and restore nor search in Windows after all these
    decades. I've got 4 hours into this. Why the hell do i make a backup when i can't restore the farking thing?!?!

Paul_Gardner, May 5, 2017
  3. Lyma---01 Win User
    Restore a backup on E71

I there..

I made a backup of my E71 messages,images etc.. Usually how much time take to finish the backup, because past more than hours to make the backup and still didn't finish.. Is normal to take hours to restore a backup??

thks

Lyma---01, May 5, 2017
  4. WOT
    WOT Win User

IMHO, if you are using Macrium to make daily images (like I do), then there is no need to use the Windows 7 backup functionality. In addition, I can only tell you that Macrium has never failed to properly restore an image on any of my rigs. I guess that is why I can't recommend an alternative boot disc because I have never needed one. Someone will be along to help you I'm sure.

Cheers,

5. Stevekir Win User
    WOT:

I think you are right. Trust Macrium.

When my macrium image ran around mid-day today I noticed it took 32 minutes for a Full BU, wheras before Creators it took about 19 minutes. Is this a feature of Creators?

Thanks.

Stevekir, May 5, 2017
  6. WOT
    WOT Win User
    I don't think so because my Macrium imaging times appear to be about the same as before upgrading to 16188; however, my system is light, and the process completes so fast, maybe I didn't even notice. Any chance you have some large files leftover from the upgrade (like windows.old)?

7. Stevekir Win User
    WOT:

Windows.old must be the answer. It is 17.5 GB whereas my C occupies 85 GB (222GB-137GB free). I tried to delete it but I got "You need to provide administrator permission to delete this folder". I got past that by simply pressing "Continue" (I am the administrator). I then "need to provide "permission from SYSTEM to make changes ro this folder." I have never met him before.

How do I get past that please?

Thanks for your help.

Stevekir, May 6, 2017
  8. Bree New Member

Use Disk Clean up and click its 'clean up system files' button. Then tick 'Previous Windows installation(s)' which deletes Windows.old and associated install files.

Bree, May 6, 2017
  9. WOT
    WOT Win User
    Try this:

Go to Settings> System> Storage> click the drive containing the OS> click on temporary storage and it should be the last entry on that page. Check the box and select "remove files." Here is my view minus the windows.old entry:

Windows Backup & Restore: 4 hours to make a backup [​IMG]

10. Stevekir Win User
    Will do tomorrow. Thanks.

EDIT: Please see post # 9.

Stevekir, May 6, 2017
  11. Stevekir Win User
    I don't see "temporary storage", but the second last item is "Temporary Files". I double-clicked it and a list of temp files appeared which included Windows.old, checked. I pressed "Remove files" and deletions started. After about 15 minutes, activity stopped and Windows.old still appears in C. Although it refuses to divulge its size, in the "Temporary files" place now there is "2.79 GGB". So most of it seems to have gone.

So I count this a success in reducing the size of this item (unless you think otherwise).

Many thanks.

Stevekir, May 6, 2017
  12. WOT
    WOT Win User
    Sorry, I meant to say temporary files (not temporary storage). You should be able to completely remove windows.old. Is it still there (in a reduced size)?

13. Stevekir Win User

Yes it is. 2.79 GB, as shown in Settings, System, Storage etc., and it is still shown in my C drive as "Windows.old".

Stevekir, May 6, 2017
  14. WOT
    WOT Win User
  15. Stevekir Win User
    Will do, tomorrow.

Thanks.

Stevekir, May 6, 2017
Thema:

1. Windows Backup & Restore: 4 hours to make a backup - Similar Threads - Backup Restore hours

2. restoring backup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    restoring backup: Need help with restoring function. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/restoring-backup/0aa3dd4c-122c-4e70-a307-53c3854c093e
  3. Backup and restore

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Backup and restore: So I am trying to use Windows backup and restore tool on my Sony Vaio laptop and I can't get it to work someone please help. Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/backup-and-restore/82ca9cbf-e2a1-4116-83d7-002735c2c3be
  4. Backup and Restore

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Backup and Restore: Why can't I run a system image backup on my new Windows 11 HP laptop. only 60 gb used on 476gb ssd? My external Hard drive has 841gb free, yet the back up stops saying there isn't enough room to create backup because of VSS doesn't have enough space? how much space does it...
  5. Backup and Restore

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Backup and Restore: Windows backup failed. I am attaching screenshots https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/backup-and-restore/7edd6d5a-3d6b-4840-a0af-eb95d5170697
  6. Backup & Restore

Backup & Restore: Sirs,Installed Office H & S 2016 successfully on Friday.Tried to do backup via 'Control Panel>Backup & restore Windows 7' but it did not complete successfully.Here is a record of the resullts.It seems very small. Nowhere can I find a backup of 17,000 photo files or videos in...
  7. Backup and Restore

Backup and Restore: My C drive failed, so I purchased a new one and reinstalled windows on C:. My backups are to D:. I have set up backups as before to D:, but when I attempt to restore my files, they are not visible to the Restore. I have renamed the computer to the same name as it used to be...
  8. backup and restore

backup and restore: Why won't Windows 10 Backup and Restore Windows 7 backup to a usb flash drive and yet it will back up to a usb portable hard drive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/backup-and-restore/102cb00f-7a92-443f-986c-01090b36d99d
  9. Backup and restore

Backup and restore: Hi, How and when would you use backup and restore on the IT systems using the windows 10 operating system? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/backup-and-restore/bd662f36-c19a-44cd-b2ca-8c5d1a49ef60
  10. Restoring backup

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Restoring backup: Hi I have windows 10 installed on an SSD. I backup the entire SSD using Macrium Reflect Free. I now want to restore the windows 10 installation. Do I need to restore the entire SSD or can I just restore the C partition ? Whats the best way ? Thanks 27393