Windows 10: Windows Backup & Restore: 4 hours to make a backup

Discus and support Windows Backup & Restore: 4 hours to make a backup in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I have now used Option 4 as recommended by WOT and that reduced the size of Windows.old to under 3 GB, much lower than it was. I then used Option 1. No... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Stevekir, May 5, 2017.

1. Stevekir Win User

Windows Backup & Restore: 4 hours to make a backup

I have now used Option 4 as recommended by WOT and that reduced the size of Windows.old to under 3 GB, much lower than it was. I then used Option 1. No change. Then I used Option1 again and this time scrolled down the list of files to be cleaned. One was something like "old windows files". It was checked. I hadn't noticed that before. When Option 1 was complete my Windows.old was still there at the root of C. I ran Option1 again and this time Windows.old was not listed at all in option 1. I'm not confident at using Command Line approaches - a single mis-type can result in &*$~**"+.

My Macrium image backup ran this evening. It took 27 minutes, compared to the 19 before Creators, and the 32 minutes after Creators but before I reduced Windows.old.

I think I will let it rest there. Windows.old has been reduced to a small size and hopefully it will be automatically deleted sometime.

Thanks for the help.

Stevekir, May 6, 2017

2. Holy crap. I downloaded Macrium to test, while going through a horrible experience reinstalling (too many times) Win 10. Macrium failed on the first backup. There was an issue that I learned about here. Redundancy is the key.
    I bought Acronis, but I still use Win10 History (on occasion) and Backup and Restore (on occasion).

BellaDonna, Jun 29, 2017
  3. For the OP, I use AOMEI for a backup to Macrium. I like the OP, feel better with redundency. The Free Version of AOMEI will perform the same functions as Macrium.

storageman, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Windows Backup & Restore: 4 hours to make a backup

1. Windows Backup & Restore: 4 hours to make a backup - Similar Threads - Backup Restore hours

2. restoring backup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    restoring backup: Need help with restoring function. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/restoring-backup/0aa3dd4c-122c-4e70-a307-53c3854c093e
  3. Backup and restore

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Backup and restore: So I am trying to use Windows backup and restore tool on my Sony Vaio laptop and I can't get it to work someone please help. Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/backup-and-restore/82ca9cbf-e2a1-4116-83d7-002735c2c3be
  4. Backup and Restore

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Backup and Restore: Why can't I run a system image backup on my new Windows 11 HP laptop. only 60 gb used on 476gb ssd? My external Hard drive has 841gb free, yet the back up stops saying there isn't enough room to create backup because of VSS doesn't have enough space? how much space does it...
  5. Backup and Restore

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Backup and Restore: Windows backup failed. I am attaching screenshots https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/backup-and-restore/7edd6d5a-3d6b-4840-a0af-eb95d5170697
  6. Backup & Restore

Backup & Restore: Sirs,Installed Office H & S 2016 successfully on Friday.Tried to do backup via 'Control Panel>Backup & restore Windows 7' but it did not complete successfully.Here is a record of the resullts.It seems very small. Nowhere can I find a backup of 17,000 photo files or videos in...
  7. Backup and Restore

Backup and Restore: My C drive failed, so I purchased a new one and reinstalled windows on C:. My backups are to D:. I have set up backups as before to D:, but when I attempt to restore my files, they are not visible to the Restore. I have renamed the computer to the same name as it used to be...
  8. backup and restore

backup and restore: Why won't Windows 10 Backup and Restore Windows 7 backup to a usb flash drive and yet it will back up to a usb portable hard drive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/backup-and-restore/102cb00f-7a92-443f-986c-01090b36d99d
  9. Backup and restore

Backup and restore: Hi, How and when would you use backup and restore on the IT systems using the windows 10 operating system? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/backup-and-restore/bd662f36-c19a-44cd-b2ca-8c5d1a49ef60
  10. Restoring backup

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Restoring backup: Hi I have windows 10 installed on an SSD. I backup the entire SSD using Macrium Reflect Free. I now want to restore the windows 10 installation. Do I need to restore the entire SSD or can I just restore the C partition ? Whats the best way ? Thanks 27393