Windows 10: windows backup sometimes starting completely from scratch...

Discus and support windows backup sometimes starting completely from scratch... in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; My windows 10 "backup & restore (windows7)" runs every evening at 19.00h when it does an incremental backup. But sometimes (once every 6 months or... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by noge, Feb 10, 2017.

1. noge Win User

windows backup sometimes starting completely from scratch...

My windows 10 "backup & restore (windows7)" runs every evening at 19.00h
    when it does an incremental backup.

But sometimes (once every 6 months or so) it starts doing a completely new backup
    (which takes about 3 days since I backup over wifi to a network drive).

Is this normal behaviour, cos I really don't see the point of this..?

:)

2. N95 how can I go back to verion 11 from 12 update.

If you restored from a backup when you updated your firmware, it may be worth wiping it completely again, and starting from scratch...

That way you know exactly what's what in there...

Restoring from backup files sometimes restores errors and incompatibilities, I've not had any so far, but it's a well documented fact.

Definitely worth a try if it's causing you trouble.

RichCowell, Feb 10, 2017
  3. 5230: how to disable all automatic calling (internet)

I never used those applications you mention.

I'm going to look for a way to make a complete backup and then start all over: factory reset, remove all apps I installed etc. Or is there an easier way to start from scratch....

lukvdh---01, Feb 10, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, whilst you may get a helpful specific reply, generally questions on Backup and Restore go unanswered- people find this awkward and unreliable.

It's great you're creating images; a good number here have found a 3rd party solution much better.
    E.g. Macrium Reflect (free) + boot medium + external storage
    - more feature rich
    - maintained, supported and updated
    - much more reliable and robust

I just read today a new feature will be introduced this month in v7 that will make incremental and differential imaging very much faster.

dalchina, Feb 10, 2017
  5. noge Win User
    Thanks
    I have crashplan going to both cloud and local HD (hooked up to my pc).
    I use Windows backup as a THIRD one just to be safe windows backup sometimes starting completely from scratch... :)
    It works without problems, besides the issue as described..

6. Barman58 Win User
    The whole point of an incremental backup is that it increments the changes from one full backup until the next. There is also a diffential type where the changes are consolidated in each backup so only two backups (full and last differential), are needed for a restore

It is normal practice with a daily backup scheme to run a full backup on a set day, ( lets say Monday), and then run incremental backups for the rest of the week until the next full backup is run on the next Full Backup (Monday). If you need to recover from a disaster state then to get back to a usable state you would restore from the full back-up and then each of the Daily incremental backups so it could be you need to restore 7 backups Full plus 6 incremental, if the problem occurred on Sunday after the backup.

The incremental backups are likely to be quite small on a system that does not get changed often, but the longer the time between full backups the larger they will become and all are needed to recover a system

It looks like in your case you may have to restore up to 180 backups (given the daily incremental count over 6 months). It appears that there is some maximum count, (Numerical or Time based), in the backup software, that forces a full backup after a set time.

If you are doing a differential backup then only the full and the last differential is required for restore but after six months the Differential would likely be far larger than the full

Barman58, Feb 17, 2017
  7. noge Win User
    thanks for the explanation.

noge, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. windows backup sometimes starting completely from scratch... - Similar Threads - backup sometimes starting

2. Starting from scratch with OneDrive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Starting from scratch with OneDrive: I'd like to have all my documents, pictures, etc on my laptop and external drive, and then select what gets backed up to OneDrive. BUT my system is currently set up to store everything on OneDrive Desktop, Documents, Pictures folders, and I can't figure out how to change...
  3. Starting from scratch with OneDrive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Starting from scratch with OneDrive: I'd like to have all my documents, pictures, etc on my laptop and external drive, and then select what gets backed up to OneDrive. BUT my system is currently set up to store everything on OneDrive Desktop, Documents, Pictures folders, and I can't figure out how to change...
  4. Starting from scratch with Windows 10 - clean install

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Starting from scratch with Windows 10 - clean install: On my current Windows 10 Pro, there are way too many BSOD's always with the same errorPAGE_FAULT-IN_NON-PAGED_AREAI have not attached any new devices or installed any new software and suggested steps to resolve the issue do not solve the problem. The blue screen gives me a...
  5. Backup Windows 10 - backup not completing

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Backup Windows 10 - backup not completing: I have a 2tb laptop with Windows 10. I am trying to create a system image and backup my important folders. I am using a Seagate 2tb external hard drive. I have several failed attempts at backing up because I receive a 'insufficient disk space' message. This is after...
  6. Can I start from scratch?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can I start from scratch?: I’m installing a new SSD C-drive that I will format and configure. My laptop has one HHD drive (partitioned into two parts, D-drive and E-drive) that I want to backup, wipe clean, and then reinstall—much more neatly this time—the programs I want and the data I need. To do...
  7. Windows Update from scratch

Windows Update from scratch: I was transferring some files over to my external drive when I decided to installed Update 2004. An hour later, the Drive refused to eject. I checked over everything in Task manager and logged in and out to be sure. By that time the Update had reached 80% Getting Things...
  8. Registry from scratch

in Windows 10 Support
    Registry from scratch: Hi there guys. I've been tweaking and modifying the Windows registry for years now. Usually I use google to search for what I want, I also use programs like regshot to monitor changes to the registry as I change settings. One thing I wish to learn though is how do people...
  9. Backup and Restore completely fails to start

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Backup and Restore completely fails to start: It used to work but then something happened on my Windows 10 machine and now I can't backup at all (don't have external so I relied on this windows-7 leftover method to backup on an internal separate drive) My control panel looks like this now: Edit I can't upload an image?...
  10. Completely restored my computer from scratch a week ago and then this.... again

Completely restored my computer from scratch a week ago and then this.... again: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/ahubs4032 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/dsqrww/completely_restored_my_computer_from_scratch_a/