Windows 10: Windows backup

Discus and support Windows backup in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; My Windows 10 backup ended up successfully but some files are skipped. Can I use this backup to restore if needed or not?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Athanasios_Gr, Nov 30, 2020.

1. Windows backup

My Windows 10 backup ended up successfully but some files are skipped.

Can I use this backup to restore if needed or not?

:)

Athanasios_Gr, Nov 30, 2020
  2. Geekoid Win User

Using network hard drive for backup

It depends what sort of backup you want to do. If you're happy just backing up regular files, then there are a bazillion (really, that many!) different bits of freeware to do that. There is a good list here:

Download Back Up Tools for Windows - MajorGeeks

and pretty much all of them can do network backups. Some even have fancy options like encryption. Really, the most useful thing is just being able to schedule them and know they ran OK.

You may also want to make a system image backup too, and you'll find that software in the very same list.

I don't have Windows 8 as yet, so I'm afraid I can't suggest any for that platform. Personally, I use Clonezilla for image backups.

Geekoid, Nov 30, 2020
  3. Bokenzhe Win User
    Backup Issue - Microsoft 10 - Cannot perform initial backup

Question

• Windows backup [​IMG]

Applies to

5 views Backup Issue - Microsoft 10 - Cannot perform initial backup

My backup stubbornly refuses to run. I can't run the initial backup, therefore the file history backups don't run either. This has been an ongoing problem for quite some time. Suggestions I've received have not worked so far. Following is the problem
    and the failed resolution attempts:

• I get this message from the Event Log:

Unable to scan user libraries for changes and perform backup of modified files for configuration C:\Users\Papa\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\FileHistory\Configuration\Config

Event ID - 201

Level: Error

User - System

*** ---- There is no config file at this directory location. The contents of the location are:

catalog1

catalog2

config1

config2

• In another thread from July, someone suggested checking a particular service (I forget the name just now) is running. It is.

• Two days ago a Microsoft employee suggested the following steps. These steps resulted in no change, still no backup:

KA

Karthicka_R replied on

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft community.

I suggest you to follow the below steps to start and stop the services “Windows backup” and “volume shadow copy” and check if it helps.

• Press “Windows+R” and in the run command box type “services. MSc”.
    • Search for the service “Windows Backup” double click on it and check whether the service is started or not, click on “OK” button. I suggest you to stop and start the service again.
    • Once done again search for the service “Volume shadow copy” double click on it and check whether the service is started or not. I suggest you to stop and start the service again, click on “OK” button and
      check whether you can perform backup successfully.
    Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

• I performed these steps multiple times. The backup still crashes, with the same error message. In addition I collected the following error message, but only one time:

Unable to start a backup cycle for configuration C:\Users\Papa\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\FileHistory\Configuration\Config

Event ID: 200

• Can anyone help me with this stubborn problem?

Thank you in advance.

Bokenzhe, Nov 30, 2020
  4. Windows backup

windows xp installation and dual core am

could someone please list the steps they follow to install windows with a dual core processor and windows xp service pack to. I'm reletively new to amd dual core and i feel i'm missing a step. All help will be appreciated. thanx

exodusprime1337, Nov 30, 2020
Thema:

Windows backup

1. Windows backup - Similar Threads - backup

2. Windows 10 backups stopped working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 backups stopped working: Suddenly I can't make system image or backups with Windows 7 backup and restore function in Windows 10; Acronis clone tool also fails. I get a VSS failed error, the Acronis VSS diagnostic says the MSSearch service writer, WMI writer and System writer all time out. Here's what...
  3. Windows 10 backups stopped working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 backups stopped working: Suddenly I can't make system image or backups with Windows 7 backup and restore function in Windows 10; Acronis clone tool also fails. I get a VSS failed error, the Acronis VSS diagnostic says the MSSearch service writer, WMI writer and System writer all time out. Here's what...
  4. Windows 10 backups stopped working

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Why is my hard drive's capacity reduced after Microsoft Backup?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why is my hard drive's capacity reduced after Microsoft Backup?: Greetings and well wishes Microsoft assistants.I ran Recovery Drive, and used a 128 GB hard drive to create the backup.After the backup was completed, the drive capacity was reading 69 GB on a FAT32 system.Did the format ruin my drive, and can my drive be restore to its...
  6. Why is my hard drive's capacity reduced after Microsoft Backup?

Why is my hard drive's capacity reduced after Microsoft Backup?: Greetings and well wishes Microsoft assistants.I ran Recovery Drive, and used a 128 GB hard drive to create the backup.After the backup was completed, the drive capacity was reading 69 GB on a FAT32 system.Did the format ruin my drive, and can my drive be restore to its...
  7. Why is my hard drive's capacity reduced after Microsoft Backup?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. Windows Apps on drive that windows is not on? - Backup System Image

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Apps on drive that windows is not on? - Backup System Image: This started when I was trying to migrate my windows onto a new drive, I was doing it via an image and USB flash drive. while going through the process I had to select which drive I wanted it on and which drives it was going to take windows from. one of them was a drive E...
  9. Windows Apps on drive that windows is not on? - Backup System Image

Windows Apps on drive that windows is not on? - Backup System Image: This started when I was trying to migrate my windows onto a new drive, I was doing it via an image and USB flash drive. while going through the process I had to select which drive I wanted it on and which drives it was going to take windows from. one of them was a drive E...
  10. I want to recover a backup from another user

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I want to recover a backup from another user: I have made a mistake. I had a desktop with an older windows user account and run factory recovery. I did asked for a back-up to be made, to restore from. I have set-up the desktop with another new user account. Now I have found out that I lost one essential file. But I can't...