Windows 10: Windows behaves as if a key is stuck down

Discus and support Windows behaves as if a key is stuck down in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Several times Windows 10 has started behaving as if a key is being held down. Yesterday it appears to be the help key, today it appears to be the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by SimonHill3, Apr 29, 2020.

1. Windows behaves as if a key is stuck down

Several times Windows 10 has started behaving as if a key is being held down. Yesterday it appears to be the help key, today it appears to be the escape key. This persists when keyboard is swapped and even when keyboard is unplugged. Restarting does not work and latest updates applied today but still no solution.

Thanks,

:)

SimonHill3, Apr 29, 2020

2. num key 3/pgdn key behaving erratically in windows 10

Hi Ashok,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

I understand the inconvenience as mouse and keyboard not working fine after upgrade to Windows 10, we will help you with this issue.

I suggest you to connect external keyboard and mouse and check if they are working.

If external keyboard and mouse is working, then follow the below:

Method 1: Start computer in safe
    mode.

• Type Settings in the search box on the desktop, select
      Settings.

• Here select Change pc settings and then
      General.

• Scroll down to Advanced startup, click
      Restart now.

• Click on Troubleshoot, Advanced options, and Startup Settings.

• Click Restart, select Safe mode and then press
      Enter.

Method 2: Try to update/install the drivers in compatibility mode on Windows 10.

Step 1: Uninstall and update keyboard driver.

Steps to uninstall keyboard driver:

• Press Windows key + X key when you are at desktop.
    • Select Device Manager.
    • Expand Keyboard.
    • Right on the Keyboard driver
      and click on Uninstall.

Steps to Update the keyboard driver.

• Select Device Manager.
    • Expand Keyboard.
    • Right on the Keyboard driver
      and click on Update driver software.
    Also, try to search for the drivers from Manufacturer's website and install them in the compatibility mode.

Step 2: Uninstall and update mouse driver.

Steps to uninstall mouse driver:

• Select Device Manager.
    • Expand mouse.
    • Right on the mouse driver and click on
      Uninstall.

Steps to Update the mouse driver.

• Select Device Manager.
    • Expand mouse.
    • Right on the mouse
      driver and click on
      Update driver software.

Step 3: Now, I suggest you to start the device in Normal mode to check if the issue persists.

Steps:

• Press Windows + R to open Run command.
    • Type msconfig and press Enter.
    • Under General tab, check mark Normal start-up and click on
      Apply and on Ok.
    • Now select Restart.

Also, try to search for the mouse
    drivers from Manufacturer's website and install them in the compatibility mode.

You can install Windows 8/8.1 drivers in compatibility mode if there are no Windows 10 compatible drivers.

Follow the steps to install in Compatibility mode:

• Download the updated driver from the manufacturer’s website.
    • Right click the driver installation file and select
      Properties then tap or click the Compatibility tab.
    • Place a check in the Run this program in compatibility mode for: box.
    • Tap the drop down box and select a previous operating system, then tap or click
      OK.
    • Try installing the driver and check.

Hope it helps. Please perform the above methods and update the status of this issue, we will be happy to help you.

Deepika Gowda, May 23, 2020
  3. ashokseva Win User
    num key 3/pgdn key behaving erratically in windows 10

after upgrading to windows10, I find my laptop behaving awkwardly of late . The pointer starts moving down without any pressing of key . I found out that it is due to the misbehaving of numeric key 3/pgdn . I took out the key and cleaned , but still it
    behaves same way. I suspect this due to some bug in windows 10.

Further the mouse pointer disappears now and then. This never used to happen in windows 8.1.

It would be very helpful if any solution is suggested !

ashokseva, May 23, 2020
  4. Xylee Del Win User

Windows behaves as if a key is stuck down

Stuck in safe mode in windows 10

Safe mode is intended to help fix most, if not all problems within an operating system, it's not good if we got stuck on it. To correct this, we suggest that you follow the steps below to exit out of Safe mode:

• Open Run command by pressing Windows key + R
      keys on the keyboard and type msconfig in the command box and press
      Enter.
    • Under General tab, put a check on Normal Startup option.
    • Reboot the system and check if the changes are effective.

Let us know if you are able to exit out of Safe mode with these steps.

Xylee Del, May 23, 2020
Thema:

Windows behaves as if a key is stuck down

1. Windows behaves as if a key is stuck down - Similar Threads - behaves key stuck

2. computer behaves as if keyboard has a stuck key, but it doesn't

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    computer behaves as if keyboard has a stuck key, but it doesn't: i have tried all the solutions that i've read in the forums. deleting the keyboard drivers why are there 4? helps temporarily, but it comes back. any "solution" i try, IF it works, it only works for a little while. i've tried switching out my keyboard, downloading a new...
  3. computer behaves as if keyboard has a stuck key, but it doesn't

in Windows 10 Gaming
    computer behaves as if keyboard has a stuck key, but it doesn't: i have tried all the solutions that i've read in the forums. deleting the keyboard drivers why are there 4? helps temporarily, but it comes back. any "solution" i try, IF it works, it only works for a little while. i've tried switching out my keyboard, downloading a new...
  4. computer behaves as if keyboard has a stuck key, but it doesn't

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows 11 behaving as if scan last media key is stuck on

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 behaving as if scan last media key is stuck on: Good evening,I've been having an issue for the last couple of days where Windows behaves as if the scan last media key is being held down/pushed rapidly. The application isn't relevant: on iTunes, if I try to listen to a playlist, it doesn't work. Youtube's My Mix feature, it...
  6. Windows 11 behaving as if scan last media key is stuck on

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 behaving as if scan last media key is stuck on: Good evening,I've been having an issue for the last couple of days where Windows behaves as if the scan last media key is being held down/pushed rapidly. The application isn't relevant: on iTunes, if I try to listen to a playlist, it doesn't work. Youtube's My Mix feature, it...
  7. Keyboard Keys behaving weird

Keyboard Keys behaving weird: Windows key = volume downUp key= brightness lowSpace = enter Backspace = tab+backspace"W" not working https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/keyboard-keys-behaving-weird/bb793a97-9597-4b1b-a352-a92c89c7dea8
  8. windows 10 windows key stuck down

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    windows 10 windows key stuck down: I pushed something to enable this and i don't know how to disable it now every time i push P a PROJECT thing appears. and every time i push W something flashes. wtf?...
  9. Down key stuck down(not physically) in network window in systray

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Down key stuck down(not physically) in network window in systray: [ATTACH] So in Windows 10, all network connections are done in that little window in the system tray. Control panel just links to there as well. Well, I have a LAN cable giving me internet but sometimes I would like to connect to a wireless network such as my phone's...
  10. Windows down arrow key stuck?

Windows down arrow key stuck?: I have recently built my third computer, but the keyboard or something else seems to be wrong. The down arrow is not working properly, it is stuck in place. I have tried everything to get it to not be stuck. I first tried sticky keys, but that did nothing, I pulled up the...