Windows 10: Windows blocking program installs on a new USB external hard drive.

Discus and support Windows blocking program installs on a new USB external hard drive. in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hello, I'm setting up a new USB external hard drive to install programs to. It came as an exFAT, and the 1st-thing done was to format it to NTFS It is... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by JetStream90, Oct 19, 2020.

1. Windows blocking program installs on a new USB external hard drive.

Hello, I'm setting up a new USB external hard drive to install programs to. It came as an exFAT, and the 1st-thing done was to format it to NTFS It is a physical HDD, not a solid-state, but that shouldn't matter.

The problem is, every time I try to do anything to put programs on it, an error like this pops-up. I am the only user, I am using the admin account, and Win 10 Pro is fully updated.

Windows blocking program installs on a new USB external hard drive. bad48789-8727-4b12-9c8e-0c0bb96ed98c?upload=true.jpg

I've tried checking the disk properties -> Security tab all good -> Advanced button and checking the Owner of the drive all good.

I checked temporarily disabling Windows Security no change.

I've tried the following: the troubleshootingcentral list Fixes 3-5 didn't apply, and Fixes 1, 2, and 6-8 didn't do anything. The Microsoft Support link's troubleshooter found nothing.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17588/windows-fix-problems-that-block-programs-being-installed-or-removed
    https://www.troubleshootingcentral.com/how-to-fix-the-windows-cannot-access-the-specified-device-path-or-file-error/

I tried copying everything to the new drive, then also just the minimum recommended.

On the Steam program in particular, I followed the steps:

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7418-YUBN-8129

https://www.howtogeek.com/257472/how-to-painlessly-move-your-steam-library-to-another-folder-or-hard-drive/

Is there a problem because the programs incl. Steam are startup programs executed from a USB drive? What other permissions can I check?

Any other options would be appreciated.

:)

JetStream90, Oct 19, 2020
  2. twynog Win User

External hard drive not recognised

Thanks for this. I've done what you suggested and been through all the steps mentioned in the article. The hard drive works fine on a Mac computer, and I've managed to copy the information on it. It must be a Surface issue so I'll try to get a chat line tomorrow.

twynog, Oct 19, 2020
  3. Marco Gav Win User
    unrecognised external hard drive on Windows 10

Since you already reinstalled the drivers of the External Hard Drive, let's run the
    Hardware and Devices troubleshooter as it can resolve your concern. You can do that by following these steps:

• Press the Start button.

• Type and select Troubleshooting.

• Click on View all on the left panel.

• Select and run the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter.

If the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter doesn’t resolve your concern, we suggest that you change the letter of the External Hard Drive. You can do that by following these steps:

• Press the Start button.

• Type and select Control panel.

• Select System and Security.

• Select Administrative Tools, and a new window will appear.

• Double-click Computer Management, and a new window will appear.

• Select Disk Management that is located under
      Storage
      in the left pane.

• Right click on the External Hard Drive that is not showing on the File Explorer.

• Select Change letter and network path, and a new window will appear.

• Select Change, and choose the letter that you want for the External Hard Drive.

After changing the letter of the External Hard Drive, we suggest that you reboot your laptop for the changes to take effect.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards.

Marco Gav, Oct 19, 2020
  4. Windows blocking program installs on a new USB external hard drive.

External Hard Drive

To address your concern, here are the troubleshooting steps that you can try. Follow the steps below:

Uninstall and reinstall the external hard drive program.

• In the Settings app, go to System.
    • Go to Apps & features and locate the external hard drive program.
    • Uninstall the program and go to the manufacturer's website to reinstall the updated version.
    Uninstall and reinstall the Paragon driver software.

• Following the same steps mentioned above, locate the software in Apps & features
      and uninstall it.
    • After uninstalling the software, go to the manufacturer's website to reinstall it.
    To further isolate your concern, we'd also like to verify if the OneDrive app is enabled on your PC.

You can hit us back for additional help.

Kind regards.

Jennifer Cha, Oct 19, 2020
Thema:

Windows blocking program installs on a new USB external hard drive.

1. Windows blocking program installs on a new USB external hard drive. - Similar Threads - blocking program installs

2. External hard drive blocks USB drive partition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External hard drive blocks USB drive partition: I've just got an external hard drive, and it works well with my PC, everything's good, except since I got it I can't use USB because it basically blocks it. I don't get any notifications nor does it show up in disk management, hardware manager, etc. I've already tried making...
  3. External hard drive blocks USB drive partition

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External hard drive blocks USB drive partition: I've just got an external hard drive, and it works well with my PC, everything's good, except since I got it I can't use USB because it basically blocks it. I don't get any notifications nor does it show up in disk management, hardware manager, etc. I've already tried making...
  4. External hard drive blocks USB drive partition

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. external hard drive connected by usb

external hard drive connected by usb: How do I get windows file explorer to recognize a 500 giga bite hard drive connected by USB https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-hard-drive-connected-by-usb/57ede349-6ed9-4cb0-bf8d-d9d999cf1157
  6. External USB hard drive not showing

External USB hard drive not showing: Hello, I got a laptop, which I bought only last month and I decided to plug my external hard drive in. Everything was going fine for a while, until a couple of day later when my laptop refused to recognise my USB drive. I spent hours updating the BIOS, updating windows,...
  7. USB external hard drive not migrating

USB external hard drive not migrating: Ok i have looked and tried every solution that I can find. My external hard drive- NAND USB2DISK USB Device is showing as Not migrated due to partial or ambiguous match. I have done the device manager step, it shows up however states it is running properly and no updates are...
  8. USB not recognizing external hard drive

USB not recognizing external hard drive: Brand new laptop does not give connecting sound when usb drive is plugged in. Drive works on older computer and usb port on new computer works with other peripherals. Restarted with drive already plugged in and there was no new hardware found. Device Manager shows no...
  9. USB external hard drive not working on new laptop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    USB external hard drive not working on new laptop: So I have a Toshiba external hard drive that I use just to back up some pictures, documents, etc. I've always used this with my laptop without issue. I recently got a new Dell laptop running windows 10 and every time I plug the hard drive in it just says that the USB device...
  10. external usb hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    external usb hard drive: Can i install windows 10 on an external USB hard drive? If so, how? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-usb-hard-drive/9631ecc3-3373-4174-8b01-818623bd5c4f