Windows 10: Windows Boot drive has become mindboggling slow? The latest Windows Update could be the cause

Discus and support Windows Boot drive has become mindboggling slow? The latest Windows Update could be the cause in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Microsoft released a cumulative update for Windows 11 last week that included the usual list of security patches for the operating system, but also new... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Mar 20, 2023.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

Windows Boot drive has become mindboggling slow? The latest Windows Update could be the cause

Microsoft released a cumulative update for Windows 11 last week that included the usual list of security patches for the operating system, but also new features. The second Moments update for Windows 11 introduced a number of new features and improvements to the operating system.

Some Windows 11 users now report that the installation of the update has had a serious impact on the performance of their drives. According to one user, who posted their findings on Reddit, reading and writing speeds of the computer's SSD NVME drive halved after installation of the update. It went from 7000 benchmark points to 3000 after installation of the update.

When the user rolled back the previous version and uninstalled the Windows update, performance levels were once again at previous levels.

Another published CrystalDiskMark screenshots of benchmark runs before and after installation of the Windows update. While read performance stayed at approximately the same performance level, the write performance dropped significantly on the user's device.

A third reported that the boot time of the device more than doubled after installation of the latest Windows update. Boot time went from 14 seconds to 31 seconds, according to the report.

All three users have NVME drives, which may be a first indicator regarding the issue. It is unclear how widespread the issue is, but Windows 11 users, who are affected by the issue, may uninstall the Windows update to find out if this fixes the issue.

Uninstallation comes with the downside that security issues are no longer patched. Microsoft fixed several critical and lower rated security issues in the March 2023 update for Windows.

How to test the performance of a drive on Windows

Windows Boot drive has become mindboggling slow? The latest Windows Update could be the cause crystaldiskmark.png

CrystalDiskMark is a free drive benchmark tool for Windows. All it takes to test the performance of a hard drive is to download the latest standard edition from the developer website and run it after it the downloaded completed.

Preferences may be modified, but the only option that is important is to make sure the correct drive is selected. The main hard drive of the system should be selected automatically.

Hit the "all" button run the benchmark. It takes less than a minute to complete and should provide read and write speed readings in the interface. Take a screenshot of the interface and install the update on the device. Now run the benchmark again and compare the result to the state before the update was installed.

Closing Words

Microsoft fixed a slow file copy bug in the Windows update, which plagued some Windows users for quite some time. The company has not confirmed the issue yet. We contacted Microsoft for comment but have not heard back yet.

Now You: did you install the latest Windows update already? (via Neowin)

Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post Windows Boot drive has become mindboggling slow? The latest Windows Update could be the cause appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Mar 20, 2023
  2. Jborg Win User

windows 10 slow boot

I was having a slow boot issue on my Windows 7 install a little while back. It would take about 30 - 40 extra seconds to boot up for whatever reason.

I would try following these steps, while this didn't solve my issue, it did increase Read/Write to where it should be.

10 Tips for SSD Optimization in Windows 7 - Part 1

Looks to be similar to this: https://www.back2gaming.com/focus-story/ssd-optimization-for-windows-10-windows-8-and-8-1/

In the end, I had to reinstall my Windows 7 entirely to fix the booting issue. It was taking around 35 seconds to boot, and after the fresh install it takes about 7 seconds to boot.

Jborg, Mar 20, 2023
  3. Windows XP Error: Could not Boot after update

repairing windows will just fix any damaged files, id suggest taking off your over clocking settings the try booting in, maybe when you updated you also updated some censoring device which is now causing you a problem with your over clock settings.

jocksteeluk, Mar 20, 2023
  4. scevism Win User

Windows Boot drive has become mindboggling slow? The latest Windows Update could be the cause

windows 10 slow boot

No not tried any bench test on the ssd? how would that impact my slow boot problem? windows 8 use to boot up quick as. Driving me mad this problem.*Mad Windows Boot drive has become mindboggling slow? The latest Windows Update could be the cause :mad:

scevism, Mar 20, 2023
Thema:

1. Windows Boot drive has become mindboggling slow? The latest Windows Update could be the cause - Similar Threads - Boot drive has

2. Windows has become very slow

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows has become very slow: Windows has become very slow https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-has-become-very-slow/b1bbb7a5-c03e-4e42-87eb-e4881d8641b9
  3. Windows has become very slow

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows has become very slow: Windows has become very slow https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-has-become-very-slow/b1bbb7a5-c03e-4e42-87eb-e4881d8641b9
  4. Windows has become very slow

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Winzip has become extremely slow

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Winzip has become extremely slow: After windows update last month winzip has become extremely slow. It takes an hour to unzip a 13 Mb file. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/winzip-has-become-extremely-slow/972f6e55-6d26-4189-90e6-dc45cd760ae5
  6. Windows has become extremely slow

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows has become extremely slow: I updated windows recently and it has become extremely slow. It takes over 5 minutes to boot. Here are the things I did and still no luck: Ran disk check, repair and fix etc Reset windows while keeping giles Reset windows while deleting my files Creating install media and...
  7. the latest update has slowed the boot up process greatly

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    the latest update has slowed the boot up process greatly: Ever since the last update of windows 10, it takes forever to boot up the computer https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-latest-update-has-slowed-the-boot-up-process/afe6a660-7be7-4983-9af0-54d6defbc70b
  8. Latest update causing a boot loop?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Latest update causing a boot loop?: Latest update came out, my computer updated last night. My computer now will boot up, allow me to login for from 3-10 minutes and then reboot back to login. Computer never cycles power at all. Anyone else having issue? submitted by /u/hutch0607 [link] [comments]...
  9. windows 10 has become slow and unstable

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    windows 10 has become slow and unstable: windows 10 has become slow and unstable Start up often fails and requires rebooting. video often hangs up. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-has-become-slow-and-unstable/8d18645d-d6c6-4c8c-a7d7-5d6865bac831
  10. Windows becomes slow

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows becomes slow: Hello guys, I have some problems with this operating system. Everything works well but after a while it gets slow. Here's how it goes: If I turn on my laptop and let the Windows load 100% everything works smooth without any problems. Explorer opens instantly with every...