Windows 10: Windows boot issue - dead hard drive?

Discus and support Windows boot issue - dead hard drive? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi all - was given a laptop by a friend to take a look at. Pretty sure the culprit is a dying hard drive, but wanted a second opinion. Laptop fails to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Darkstrike, Jan 2, 2020.

1. Windows boot issue - dead hard drive?

Hi all - was given a laptop by a friend to take a look at. Pretty sure the culprit is a dying hard drive, but wanted a second opinion. Laptop fails to boot and she was getting constant 'Startup Repair' errors in Windows 10 on attempted bootup.

Now, however, when I try and boot it, it stays stuck at the ASUS logo screen (it's an ASUS F555L laptop) and sits there FOREVER before going straight to the 'Troubleshooting' screen (the one with options like 'Command Line', 'Startup Repair', etc). I went into the command line (which took forever) and tried to run a chkdsk and it gave me a "chkdsk is not available for raw drives" error message, which I've never seen before. Looking it up gives me the common thought that the file system is borked or unreadable.

I booted up a Linux Mint LiveUSB to see if I would have any better luck there, but it doesn't even list the drive/file system as mountable. I used GSmartControl to check the status on the disk and am seeing a lot of relocated sector errors (among others) and like 49 listed 'uncorrectable error in data' issues:

Windows boot issue - dead hard drive? [​IMG]

Windows boot issue - dead hard drive? [​IMG]

Pretty cut and dry that the hard drive is toast and that is the likely culprit, right?

Thanks! Windows boot issue - dead hard drive? :)

:)

Darkstrike, Jan 2, 2020
  2. little cat, Jan 2, 2020
  3. Windows 7 booting off wrong drive?!?!?

Please move if this is in the wrong place.

I have two hard drives, a 1.5TB drive, and a 160GB drive. Windows is installed on the 1.5TB drive, as are all my files and programs. The 160GB drive has a bunch of old files, and apparently the bootmgr and boot folder. Nothing else is on the 160GB drive, other than media files etc.

If I remove the 160GB drive from the machine, windows refuses to boot, plug it back in, it works fine. The setup with two hard drives I have now is temporary, as the 160GB drive will go into another machine.

My question is, can someone give me a step by step on how to make windows force to boot off the 1.5TB drive, ignoring the 160GB drive in the boot process completely?
    I don't know how to do this in Windows 7, on XP I would just run the /fixmbr command and its related ones.

Any help would be appreciated.

Note: I would really really rather not have to wipe and reinstall, I know it can be done without one as I've had this issue with XP before.

speedy11131, Jan 2, 2020
  4. GKing Win User

Windows boot issue - dead hard drive?

Maxtor Hard Drive Beep

Maxtor drive beeps

Have a similiar situation using a DiamondMax Plus 8, 20GB Mfg Date 4/15/03. Drive used as a second system drive. Drive is recognized in boot menu but not in drive list. Drive is always connected. Computer started locking up for several seconds at a time. Chkdsk on drives and couldn't find that drive. Removed drive from bay to make sure connections were ok and heard the beeping. Shutdown and restart and never got to windows screen. Restarted several times then saw drive in boot menu and Windows loaded but Maxtor not in drive menu. When recognized in boot menu, computer will start but beeps and is not found.

Tried kicking it real hard but no improvement. Any suggestions?

GKing, Jan 2, 2020
Thema:

Windows boot issue - dead hard drive?

1. Windows boot issue - dead hard drive? - Similar Threads - boot issue dead

2. Is my hard drive dead?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Is my hard drive dead?: Context: my computer is 12 years old and just recently when force shutting it down after it crashing from opening a program while making weird beeping noises whenever I press any keyboard input or click my mouse. When booted up, it seemed to be stuck on a black screen so I...
  3. Trying to revive a possibly dead hard drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Trying to revive a possibly dead hard drive: Hi everyone. I had a Seagate external HDD attached to my server for a couple of years and it recently stopped being recognised by the server. Plugging it into my windows machine doesn't make it show up in drive manager or explorer, though the disks still spin up when...
  4. Dead hard drive with activated windows

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Dead hard drive with activated windows: Recently, my hard drive died with windows 10 home installed on it. I do not have the key for it however, because it was a laptop that included a copy of windows 10. I was wondering if there was any way that i would be able to install it on the new hard drive, which is taking...
  5. Dead Hard Drive. Is it a Virus?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Dead Hard Drive. Is it a Virus?: I was having trouble with my laptop which I could not sort out. I decided to take out my hard drive and check it on another laptop using a sata/usb lead. I could not read the drive as it asked me if I wanted to format it. Where has my data gone and is the drive dead and could...
  6. Dead Hard Drive Installing New One

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Dead Hard Drive Installing New One: I have the product key from the old hard drive but won't let me use it on the new install. Also, it wouldn't let me get past I don't have a product key page....
  7. Windows 10 install from dead hard drive

Windows 10 install from dead hard drive: Is there a way to transfer my windows 10 and other files which live on a dead hard drive directly onto a new hard drive which i have mounted into the laptop the dead hdd came out of? I removed the dead hdd and used a sata to usb cable to check if my files are still on the...
  8. Recover windows from dead hard drive

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Recover windows from dead hard drive: Hello there, I have a Huawei Matebook x whose hard drive is dead and won't boot. Nor am I able to get into the recovery for reset. I know I will have to replace the ssd and do a fresh windows install. I don't have a recovery disc or usb either. I was wondering if 1) there...
  9. replace dead hard drive for laptop

in Windows 10 Support
    replace dead hard drive for laptop: Here is the situation My wife has a Toshiba laptop that crashed, the hard drive is done. I have done everything that I have been able to looking at tutorials etc to revive it, its dead jim. I even tried to wipe the hard drive and it would have none of it. My Toshiba laptop...
  10. Windows Boot Manager issue with Dual Boot on different Hard Drives

Windows Boot Manager issue with Dual Boot on different Hard Drives: Issue: after installing Windows 10 UEFI on Hard drive, I can't boot anymore on Windows 7 UEFI (SSD). My main system, W7 UEFI, is on a SSD. I would like to have a backup system on a different drive (HD) in case my SSD fails so I can be up and running without losing any...