Windows 10: Windows boot issues on restart - Dual Booting 2 Windows 10 installations (I know I asked...

Discus and support Windows boot issues on restart - Dual Booting 2 Windows 10 installations (I know I asked... in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; [ATTACH] Okay is this is a long story so I'll keep it short. I got a new SSD for my laptop and I installed it alongside my old Windows install so... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/DarkRanger919, Jul 14, 2020.

1. Windows boot issues on restart - Dual Booting 2 Windows 10 installations (I know I asked...

Windows boot issues on restart - Dual Booting 2 Windows 10 installations (I know I asked... BAO6Y26Yf-uST9hwq2DZY5GXQkcWEeU9hUB4LkmbNHk.jpg

Okay is this is a long story so I'll keep it short. I got a new SSD for my laptop and I installed it alongside my old Windows install so that if I find issues, I can easily revert to it. I searched online but found no issues so I proceeded with plan. I now have 2 windows installations on my laptop, one which was installed in the old hard drive and the other which is installed in the new SSD. For experimentation, I also installed Linux on half of my SSD (But after testing, I think it should not be interfering with the windows install). This post is long sorry. i want to give as many details because I am mentally exhausted now.

The issues started when I disabled my Linux install as the default boot OS and activated the Windows boot loader. For some reason, I can boot perfectly fine into the OS if I manually selected the OS I want to boot from, but on restarting from windows, I get a blue screen with a boot error. If I recall, windows could not find the boot image or something along those lines. I ran the automatic repair tool but it failed. I tried using the boot rec commands and those failed too (bootrec was unable to locate windows install). But I learned a bit from my tinkering.

I tried the following guide on rebuilding BCD in windows https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-rebuild-the-bcd-in-windows-2624508. From this I found that by BCD file is still located on my HDD rather than my SSD. I heard I can use easyBCD to repair the BCD files I need. Digging forward, I found the following post on this subreddit around a year ago about (probably) the same issue I am having. https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/..._easybcd_i_want_to_move_windows_boot_manager/

In the end, I think I need to transplant my EFI system into my new SSD (and hopefully the recovery too) so I don't need to depend on my HDD for booting anymore. However, I can't find a good way to do that at all and I'm completely lost.

My current drive arrangement

Here is a picture of my drive partitions at the moment. there are is an extra EFI and recovery partition in there somehow. Can someone help me make sense of this and fix my issue? Thanks in advance!

submitted by /u/DarkRanger919
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/DarkRanger919, Jul 14, 2020
  2. Jborg Win User

windows 10 slow boot

I was having a slow boot issue on my Windows 7 install a little while back. It would take about 30 - 40 extra seconds to boot up for whatever reason.

I would try following these steps, while this didn't solve my issue, it did increase Read/Write to where it should be.

10 Tips for SSD Optimization in Windows 7 - Part 1

Looks to be similar to this: SSD Optimization for your Windows Gaming PC and Tips and Tricks

In the end, I had to reinstall my Windows 7 entirely to fix the booting issue. It was taking around 35 seconds to boot, and after the fresh install it takes about 7 seconds to boot.

Jborg, Jul 14, 2020
  3. Melvis Win User
    What is the best way to set up a dual boot of Windows 7 and 10 after a fresh install of Windows 10

Windows 7 and 10 hate each other, I had dual boot W7/10 and they just want to repair each other all the time which ends up screwing the install and then refuses to boot. You have to install W7 first I think then Windows 10, you cant do it the other way around. This was on 2 separate HDDs

Melvis, Jul 14, 2020
  4. Windows boot issues on restart - Dual Booting 2 Windows 10 installations (I know I asked...

windows xp installation and dual core am

could someone please list the steps they follow to install windows with a dual core processor and windows xp service pack to. I'm reletively new to amd dual core and i feel i'm missing a step. All help will be appreciated. thanx

exodusprime1337, Jul 14, 2020
Thema:

Windows boot issues on restart - Dual Booting 2 Windows 10 installations (I know I asked...

1. Windows boot issues on restart - Dual Booting 2 Windows 10 installations (I know I asked... - Similar Threads - boot issues restart

2. Windows dual-boot issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows dual-boot issue: I have an Acer Nitro 5 notebook with two SSDs. I have dual boot configured to either boot to My Windows 10 Pro drive, or my Studio drive, which is also Windows 10. On first boot, when I start up the notebook after it has been off for a while, it bypasses the dual boot and...
  3. Windows dual-boot issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows dual-boot issue: I have an Acer Nitro 5 notebook with two SSDs. I have dual boot configured to either boot to My Windows 10 Pro drive, or my Studio drive, which is also Windows 10. On first boot, when I start up the notebook after it has been off for a while, it bypasses the dual boot and...
  4. Dual Boot: 2 different Windows 10

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Dual Boot: 2 different Windows 10: Hello everyone, I am having a little bit of trouble and hoping you guys can help me out. I want to set up a dual boot with two different versions of Windows 10. The first (and primary) would be the 2004 update with my primary C drive, the second would be a flash drive with...
  5. 2 Windows 7 (dual boot) to 2 Windows 10 (dual boot): Is this possible?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    2 Windows 7 (dual boot) to 2 Windows 10 (dual boot): Is this possible?: I have already checked that the process to upgrade my Win 7 Home Premium 32 bit laptop to the equivalent Win 10 runs smoothly keeping almost every application and all data perfect. The point is that I have a rather complex (for me) configuration in an HP system with two Win...
  6. Issue in booting with Dual Boot in windows 10

Issue in booting with Dual Boot in windows 10: Hello. I had dual booted my Dell laptop which came with preinstalled Windows 10. I had dual booted with Ubuntu 18.04 by creating a partition on the disk. To remove this dual boot, i.e. I only wanted to keep Windows 10, I formatted the disk, where Ubuntu was stored. But, now...
  7. Dual-Boot Installation - 2 copies of Windows

Dual-Boot Installation - 2 copies of Windows: I am setting up the dual windows on my laptop. The laptop has 2 drives (ssd 256gb and hdd 1tb). I am wondering if someone can give some advice on how the dual-boot windows installation should be achieved. The purpose of putting dual boot windows on this laptop is that we...
  8. Windows Dual boot issue.

Windows Dual boot issue.: My windows 7 is partitioned as F:\ ( out side windows ) when it should be C:\. This stops me from booting into it. My windows 10 WAS on F:\(outside windows) and it switches to C:\ when you boot it up but now it is on C:\ (outside windows). Is there a way to fix it?...
  9. Dual boot 2 copies of Windows 10

Dual boot 2 copies of Windows 10: Hi, Is it possible to dual boot 2 copies of Windows 10? I wanted to use one for daily use and one to test insider builds. Will there be any issues with activation if I run two different editions of Windows 10 on one PC. I have a full retail edition of Windows 7 Home...
  10. 2 x Windows 10, dual boot ?

2 x Windows 10, dual boot ?: Hello everyone, Just want to ask if it's possible to have 2 x Windows 10, dual boot. Would that be possible, at all ? If yes, could i rename one of them, or both, the way i want ? For example, when i select the OS, it should appear something like " Windows 10 gaming "...