Windows 10: Windows' Boot loader installed itself on my old hard drive.

Discus and support Windows' Boot loader installed itself on my old hard drive. in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Yesterday I had put together my new machine and installed Windows 10 via USB, in UEFI. I have 2 hard drives, my new one which'll be the main one and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by NTekNiklaus, Sep 8, 2018.

1. NTekNiklaus Win User

Windows' Boot loader installed itself on my old hard drive.

Yesterday I had put together my new machine and installed Windows 10 via USB, in UEFI. I have 2 hard drives, my new one which'll be the main one and another one from my old computer plugged in, to transfer files.

Apparently the boot loader had installed itself on the old computers hard drive, as it had Windows 7 on it, though 10 is on the new one. I need to get it to where it can boot on the new hard drive itself. How can I do that?

:)

NTekNiklaus, Sep 8, 2018
  2. KTR
    ktr Win User

How do I remove the Linux Boot Loader?

You don't actually uninstall a boot loader but replace it with another.

You cannot get Ubuntu to start on a Windows' boot loader, it needs to be GRUB (or an open source equivalent).

Any ways, to get the Windows' boot loader back up, you need to insert your WIN7 installer disk and select the repair option>startup repair. I am assuming the WIN7 will use a similar setup menu as VISTA.

Follow the guide here for step by step intructions: http://neosmart.net/wiki/display/EBCD/Recovering+the+Vista+Bootloader+from+the+DVD

After that, just format the partition/disk that ubuntu is on...

3. MilkyWay Win User
    issues with Boot Loader

esaay bcd has a repair boot loader and other boot loader options, its saved me back when i removed my second hard drive

MilkyWay, Sep 8, 2018
  4. dhdude Win User

Replacing old hard drive, need way to copy Windows installation across

Hey Guys,
    What would be the best way of copying/imaging the entire contents of an old system drive over to a replacement hard disk for the same machine? I need to copy the Windows installations and all other data to the new drive, and then format the old drive to use as a backup.

Any suggestions? *Smile Windows' Boot loader installed itself on my old hard drive. :)

dhdude, Sep 8, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows' Boot loader installed itself on my old hard drive. - Similar Threads - Windows' Boot loader

2. Installing a old hard drive with windows 10 on it to a new computer

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Installing a old hard drive with windows 10 on it to a new computer: Hey everyone, So this weekend I will be building my first PC by myself after my old computer died. On my old computer I had Windows 10 installed on a M.2.. I'm wondering if its possible to just take that M.2 and put it in my new PC and have Windows 10 just transfer over?...
  3. Boot hard drive failing and needing re-installed on the new boot hard drive

Boot hard drive failing and needing re-installed on the new boot hard drive: I have a boot hard drive failing. I wanted to re-install my Windows 10 and accounts software back on to a new disk. I want to know how I can back up what is on the failing disk so that I can re-install it on the new disk. The guidance in windows 10 is woeful and it has failed...
  4. Change Boot Loader location to C drive?

in Windows 10 Support
    Change Boot Loader location to C drive?: Is it possible to fix so my Boot Manager is on the same drive as the OS? I remember having this problem before, and the solution was to basically install Windows with all other Disks disconnected. Which seems weird, i mean why would it even want to install the loader on...
  5. My hard drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    My hard drive: I recently looked at Disk Management on my windows 10 and it confuses me, Ive attached a screen shot of what is there. Questions and observations The SYSTEM RESERVED bit 100mb I understand as a bit of the hard disk that the computer uses - but what for? As for the others...
  6. Help with boot loader, deleted boot partitions.

Help with boot loader, deleted boot partitions.: The other day i deleted my EFI partition along with one other, the reason for this is because i was trying to get a Ubuntu dual boot to work. Before doing this i knew i was going to brick my windows installation. But now i really need to get my windows partition back up and...
  7. Possible Boot Loader Corruption

Possible Boot Loader Corruption: I have a Dual Boot Windows 10 Desktop (or did have) with one hard drive. The primary partition is Windows 10 - 1 (C) and the scondary partiton is Windows 10 - 2 (E). I booted normally this morning and ran disk cleaning and defrag software which is normal. Earlier I...
  8. dual boot - boot loader not always loaded

dual boot - boot loader not always loaded: Hello! I got a problem with my Windows 10 / Windows 7 dual boot system. The boot loader does not come up every time. It depends on what I did before. Shut down Windows 10 -> boot loader does not show up on next boot and Windows 10 boots up. Reboot Windows 10 -> boot...
  9. Update to my HP Notebook Firmware - EFI Boot loader

Update to my HP Notebook Firmware - EFI Boot loader: Good day all - Can anybody explain the below in user friendly English exactly what I am to do? I am trying to download an update to my HP15 notebook and receiving an error message - Windows is using an EFI boot loader, we cant deploy the update. Refer to ReadMe file...
  10. Windows boot loader sees two installs of Windows

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows boot loader sees two installs of Windows: To cut a long story short I ended up with two installs of Win10 on two partitions of the same drive. I then deleted one of these partitions along with its recovery partition. Now when I boot, the boot manager loads and shows two possible windows versions still. However, only...