Windows 10: Windows Boot Manager Overwritten another disk

Discus and support Windows Boot Manager Overwritten another disk in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I had a linux distro with LUKS encryption installed on my M.2 Ssd. I installed windows 10 on my hhd only to discover that the boot manager wasnt happy... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by PedroPimont, Jan 26, 2021.

1. Windows Boot Manager Overwritten another disk

I had a linux distro with LUKS encryption installed on my M.2 Ssd. I installed windows 10 on my hhd only to discover that the boot manager wasnt happy to stay only on the drive I allocated to it, but it also installed itself on my ssd without permission and erased my grub so now I lost all my files. Is there something I can do?? Its an absurd

:)

PedroPimont, Jan 26, 2021

2. Disk management console view is not up-to-date

i dont know how to fix your disk management, but i can fix your partition problems...

open up Command Prompt with admin rights. (Right click, run as admin)

enter in
    DISKPART
    list disk

then find the Disk number for your Raid array... lets call it number 7 ( you can tell what disk is what by the total size)
    type in

Select Disk 7
    List Partition (will give you a list of all the partitions..)
    Select Partition 1 (im assuming you only have 1 partition on Disk 7) repeat this step if you have more partitions.
    ASSIGN

that should get the array up and running ready to use.

EDITED.

any problems, post back ^^

Still EDITING *Stick Out Tongue Windows Boot Manager Overwritten another disk :p

side question, have you tried restarting the PC?

slyfox2151, Jan 26, 2021
  3. Disk Management

Hi Keith,

Thanks for providing the detail that was requested previously. Since the disk management screen that you saw is showing greyed out options, we suggest that you follow the steps below to change the partition type of your internal drive:

• Open Disk Management then right click the partition on the disk you want to covert and select Delete Volume.
    • Once you complete the process you will see the whole disk shown as two separate unallocated spaces. Right-click the disk and select Convert to GPT disk.

After the conversion, you will be able to use the whole disk and then you can create new separate partitions.

We look forward to your response to our queries.

Jordan Dom, Jan 26, 2021
  4. Aquinus Win User

Windows Boot Manager Overwritten another disk

Partition management

Or at the very least, make sure that your hard drive boot order is correct, because it will take the first writable drive in the boot list to determine where to put the boot loader. As Jester suggested, pop the Windows install disk in, make sure your boot order is correct (or unplug the drive,) and run repair. It's really that simple.

Aquinus, Jan 26, 2021
Thema:

Windows Boot Manager Overwritten another disk

1. Windows Boot Manager Overwritten another disk - Similar Threads - Boot Manager Overwritten

2. Windows boot manager - Add new disk

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows boot manager - Add new disk: Hi team. Can you bring me some documentation. I have a win10 installed in a M2-nvm disk The BIOS only shows me one option to boot: Windows boot manager. I want to add another disk and install Linux. So then I'd like to choose between the win10 disk and the linux disk. When I...
  3. Windows boot manager - Add new disk

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows boot manager - Add new disk: Hi team. Can you bring me some documentation. I have a win10 installed in a M2-nvm disk The BIOS only shows me one option to boot: Windows boot manager. I want to add another disk and install Linux. So then I'd like to choose between the win10 disk and the linux disk. When I...
  4. Will the Windows Boot Manager get overwritten or corrupted if I try to install windows via...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Will the Windows Boot Manager get overwritten or corrupted if I try to install windows via...: I just got my new SSD Samsung 980 pro after using a hard drive as my OS device for about 1.5 years, and I want to transfer Windows 10 onto my SSD by doing an install via USB installation media, because I’m worried cloning tools might end up corrupting something.But I’m also...
  5. Will the Windows Boot Manager get overwritten or corrupted if I try to install windows via...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Will the Windows Boot Manager get overwritten or corrupted if I try to install windows via...: I just got my new SSD Samsung 980 pro after using a hard drive as my OS device for about 1.5 years, and I want to transfer Windows 10 onto my SSD by doing an install via USB installation media, because I’m worried cloning tools might end up corrupting something.But I’m also...
  6. Will the Windows Boot Manager get overwritten or corrupted if I try to install windows via...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. Moving a boot manager of Windows 11 to another disk

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Moving a boot manager of Windows 11 to another disk: Hello everyone. Recently I bought a new HDD for my laptop as my old one is lagging and I don't want to lose my files by storing them on the old one. Currently, I have SSD and HDD on my laptop and Windows is installed on SSD, but the boot manager partition is on HDD. That is...
  8. Moving a boot manager of Windows 11 to another disk

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Moving a boot manager of Windows 11 to another disk: Hello everyone. Recently I bought a new HDD for my laptop as my old one is lagging and I don't want to lose my files by storing them on the old one. Currently, I have SSD and HDD on my laptop and Windows is installed on SSD, but the boot manager partition is on HDD. That is...
  9. Shift windows 10 Boot Manager to another disk

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Shift windows 10 Boot Manager to another disk: I was having 120GB SSD as boot disk and 1 Tb disk as data disk. I was having win 7 installed ,.By booting from windows 10 (20H2) 64 bit edition I deleted system and OS partition. I have installed windows 10 (clean) in SSD OS partition (SSD was already having 2 partitions ,...
  10. Recovering Overwritten External NTFS Disk

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Recovering Overwritten External NTFS Disk: I was creating an USB Bootable Memory Stick an accidently overwrote an External 1TB NTFS Hard Disk, what is the best way to try and recover the Data on it. The Disk now shows as a 16gbyte do I have to format it as 1TB and then try to recover the data?...