Windows 10: Windows Boot/Shutdown randomly taking a long time.

Discus and support Windows Boot/Shutdown randomly taking a long time. in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi. I installed Windows 10 Pro on my new computer (self-built) the other week. It's been running very nicely, very very quick. Well, it all seemed to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by mrpantsinator, Jul 30, 2016.

1. Windows Boot/Shutdown randomly taking a long time.

Hi. I installed Windows 10 Pro on my new computer (self-built) the other week. It's been running very nicely, very very quick. Well, it all seemed to be working OK at least, until a few days ago it randomly started to hang when I was shutting the computer down. And it's done it a few times since. I'd choose shutdown, everything would at first seem to shut down, the monitor would lose signal and auto shut off like normal, but the keyboard backlights stayed on and the computer was still running. There was drive activity during this and eventually, after about a minute, the computer would finally turn off.

Not content with failing to shut down properly though it also seems to randomly startup slowly. It will POST OK as far as I can tell, then starts loading Windows and then it stays black with the mouse cursor visible (and moveable) for upwards of 30 seconds before the login screen shows up.

The odd thing about all this is that it doesn't always do it. Sometimes it shuts down nice and quick (ie when the screen loses signal the computer actually turns off a second or two later). And startup is usually quick too, from time to turn on to when I get the login screen is less than 10 seconds usually (I have an SSD).

I'd normally attribute this to a driver issue but, like I say it was working fine before the other day (well, I think it was) and as far as I'm aware it hasn't had any new Windows or driver updates come through since I initially updated it all after installing the OS.

Any ideas?

:)

mrpantsinator, Jul 30, 2016

2. Microsoft must review the Fast shutdows (hybrid shutdown) in Windows 10 Takes too much time shutdown

I heve been watching forums with people who are having problems with Windows 10 fast boot/shutdown ( hybrid shutdown) and I include myself, as a reported behavior seems to be constant, the devices... laptops, desktop PCs remain in a state of shutdown,
    they are hanging on the shutdown process and takes way too much time to shutdown.

In my case, my desktop PC with Windows 10 Home 64bits and enable fast boot/shutdown (hybrid shutdown) are little faster booting up, but when you shutdown the PC its turn off the screen fast but then stays on a long time with the lights on and fans running.
    the actually shuting down takes really long time.

But when I disable boot/shutdown fast (hybrid shutdown) PC turns off completely fast

Eduardo Rojas Rodríguez, Jul 30, 2016
  3. WIndows 10 takes a long time to boot after unexpected shutdown

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I apologize for the inconvenience caused. We are glad to help you.

Boot the computer in Safe Mode:

Safe mode is a diagnostic mode that starts your computer with limited drivers necessary to run Windows. The word
    Safe Mode appear in the corners of your monitor to identify which Windows mode you are using.

Refer to the article mentioned below to boot the computer in safe mode.

Start your PC in safe mode in Windows 10

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-10/start-your-pc-in-safe-mode

If your computer works fine in safe mode, perform clean boot

Putting your system in Clean Boot state helps in identifying if any third party applications or startup items are causing the issue.

How to perform a clean boot in Windows

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135/en-us

Note: Refer "How to reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting" to reset the computer to start as normal after troubleshooting.

Hope this information helps. Do contact us for further queries. We will be happy to assist you.

Regards,

Jenith

Jenith_James, Jul 30, 2016
  4. Windows Boot/Shutdown randomly taking a long time.

Hello mrpantsinator,

Check Device Manager for issues. Also, check Hidden Devices there.

Disconnect any Peripheral Devices. Then test behavior.

Run SFC.

Run System Restore.

Run Clean Boot. If this helps, run Diagnostic Startup. Load a few startups or services at a time until the boot and shutdown issue returns.

Check Event Viewer for errors.

Check Task Manager.

Hope this helps,
    John

AmericanPharaoh, Jul 31, 2016
Thema:

Windows Boot/Shutdown randomly taking a long time.

1. Windows Boot/Shutdown randomly taking a long time. - Similar Threads - Boot Shutdown randomly

2. Laptop takes a long time to boot

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Laptop takes a long time to boot: Hello, My laptop takes from 10 to 20 minutes till it turns on. Almost all start up apps are disabled I tried a whole scan and there were no threats I tried clean up and desk fragmentationAnd lastly I reset my device by deleting everything and reinstalled the windows from...
  3. Windows taking abnormally long to boot and freezing at random times

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows taking abnormally long to boot and freezing at random times: Recently I have noticed a quite significant slowdown in Windows booting up from about a minute or less to about 2 to 4 minutes and around the same time I have noticed at random points when left alone Windows randomly freezes and the only way to turn it off I have found is by...
  4. Laptop taking long time to boot

Laptop taking long time to boot: I have Lenovo Z50-70, WIN 10 I recently found that my laptop taking time for the booting. In addition, many times it hangs suddenly. The boot problem was seen whenever I connect the projector, DINSHI INFINIX+ NVDIA control panel also dose not work. Please help...
  5. Windows taking long time to boot

Windows taking long time to boot: Hii , My laptop is taking long time to boot. It is stuck at welcome home screen for about 3-4 mins. This was not a issue till yesterday. I think some automatic update caused this issue. I tried updating my windows to latest version but it won't work. I updated gpu...
  6. Laptop takes too long to boot/shutdown

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Laptop takes too long to boot/shutdown: English is not my first language, so I apologize for any grammar mistakes. This has been happening for a few weeks already. Whenever I turn my laptop on, it shows the Windows logo + loading circle as usual, then sits on a black screen for around 5-10 minutes until the locked...
  7. Windows 10 takes a long time to shutdown

Windows 10 takes a long time to shutdown: Hi. I right click the windows icon and then click shutdown or sign out then click shut down and nothing happens sometimes for 20 to 30 seconds. I can still use the computer in that time and then eventually I get the shut down screen with the rotating dots and the computer...
  8. SSD takes a long time 5 minutes to boot after a shutdown

SSD takes a long time 5 minutes to boot after a shutdown: This only applies if I use the shutdown button to forcibly turn the computer off. If I shut it down using the interface, it turns on quickly as usual....
  9. w10 takes a long time to boot

in Windows 10 Customization
    w10 takes a long time to boot: My w10 takes a long time to boot, the desktop apps load , then grey out and load again along with the apps pinned to start bar https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/w10-takes-a-long-time-to-boot/63448655-da7a-4382-add5-07bcbccd81f0
  10. Windows 10 takes a long time to boot after unexpected shutdown

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 takes a long time to boot after unexpected shutdown: I have a laptop with a slightly damaged motherboard, which does not allow the laptop to derive power from the battery. Consequently, in case of a power shutdown, the laptop shuts down. The booting after this unexpected shutdown takes a very long time, during which the disk...