Windows 10: Windows bootable USB not working

Discus and support Windows bootable USB not working in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I'm giving my laptop to my mom so now I'm switching its OS from Pop!_OS to Windows 10. I downloaded the windows 10 20H2 ISO. I also formatted the USB... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/gamesrebel123, Nov 19, 2020.

1. Windows bootable USB not working

I'm giving my laptop to my mom so now I'm switching its OS from Pop!_OS to Windows 10.

I downloaded the windows 10 20H2 ISO. I also formatted the USB to Fat32 and copied the ISO's contents into it except for install.wim.

install.wim was too large so using wimtools, I split it into install.swm and install2.swm and copied it to the sources folder on the USB.

After booting from the USB (using legacy boot) I saw that it was booting from it but it just showed a black screen with a blinking underscore.

I tried booting from it after flashing the ISO on the USB using BalenaEtcher and it didn't show the underscore and just booted to a blank screen. I also tried formatting the USB to exFat and repeating the first method without splitting install.wim but that didn't work either and just showed a blank screen.

Note : In all these cases, it did not show the windows splash screen at the start.

The Laptop is an HP Probook 450 G2.

submitted by /u/gamesrebel123
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/gamesrebel123, Nov 19, 2020
  2. Agility Win User

Multi-bootable USB

Hey guys from TPU, couldn't find any specific thread pertaining to the question asked on title. As mentioned, I'm trying to create a bootable USB, but with many specifics boots available.

I've been trying to create one with multiple boot device including one that enables me to run Windows 10 directly on the USB Thumb Drive but to no avail.

The list of bootable images i'm trying to create are

1. Windows 10 (A full OS running from thumb drive)
    2. Windows 10 ISO (Bootable disk image for fresh install)
    3. MemTest86+

Have tried YUMI or UUI from the website USB PenDrive Linux but as this is my first time, i don't know how am i screwing up or am doing it right.. Anyone got a rough idea on a step by step guide? Thanks!

Agility, Nov 19, 2020
  3. TRWOV Win User
    Bootable USB to ISO

He's not trying to make a bootable USB. He wants to restore the ISO from the bootable USB (the reverse operation).

What software are you trying to restore? You can get the Windows 7 ISOs from Digital River: http://social.technet.microsoft.com...c99-42db-80c8-6300f01f7aae/windows-7downloard

TRWOV, Nov 19, 2020
  4. Agility Win User

Windows bootable USB not working

Multi-bootable USB

Hey thanks solaris. I just used E2B on my USB stick and placed a Win 10 ISO inside the folder. But i could not get it to boot on my brother's PC who is running a Gigabyte GA-Z77-UP7 that has a UEFI bios setting. I've set to boot from both Legacy and UEFI boot roms but it just won't show Am i doing it wrong? The list of bootable devices does not show any USB HDD, only the lists of hard disk and SSD.

Would gladly need your help in some senization @Solaris17

Agility, Nov 19, 2020
Thema:

Windows bootable USB not working

1. Windows bootable USB not working - Similar Threads - bootable USB working

2. Bootable USB not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bootable USB not working: My primary laptop, out of blue, couldn't boot from its Hard drive. Automatic Repair did appear, but that also stopped after once, no options being shown. I suspected it was because my hard drive got corrupted. I got a pendrive, made it bootable using media creation tool.Now,...
  3. Bootable USB not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bootable USB not working: My primary laptop, out of blue, couldn't boot from its Hard drive. Automatic Repair did appear, but that also stopped after once, no options being shown. I suspected it was because my hard drive got corrupted. I got a pendrive, made it bootable using media creation tool.Now,...
  4. Bootable USB doesn't work

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Bootable USB doesn't work: I switched from Windows to Ubuntu 20.04 LTS on a single boot, but now I want to switch back to Windows.But every time I make my Pendrive Windows bootable it doesn't respond on the system, but the Pendrive works when I make that Pendrive bootable to any Linux distro it is...
  5. Windows Bootable Usb

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows Bootable Usb: Hi, Gooday Day! I have a concern regarding a hard drive used as a bootable usb for windows then the files got formatted is there a chance that I can recover those files and convert back the external hard drive into normal?...
  6. bootable usb

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    bootable usb: windows 10 will not boot from recognizable usb, why?? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/bootable-usb/bfe29314-5442-42c5-886a-46d019fbb324
  7. usb bootable

usb bootable: need to create a usb bootable for a macos using windows10s. tried with transmac but says need window 10 instead of s mode. don't want to loose s mode. what to do. is there something in the app store i can use...
  8. USB Bootable

USB Bootable: Using Tutorial below. .(Boot from USB Drive on Windows 10 PC.) After step 7. I don't get step 8 to select USB I get :- 8GB of free disk space needed on (C:) Move files you no longer need or use Disk Cleanup to create space then try again Help please.. Thanks 152136
  9. Bootable usb don't work

Bootable usb don't work: One month ago, I installed ubuntu and deleted windows 10. Now I have problem with making bootable usb. I can't make pendrive with 64x win10, because FAT32 can handle file to only 4GB. So I tried 32x version. When I downloaded Iso, formatted drive and copied files, pendrive...
  10. Bootable USB

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Bootable USB: I keep reading that to make a bootable flash drive for an ISO one needs either Rufus or the Windows tool. I told a mod that I swap the files within the ISO to the USB and it boots and he agreed that this works. I looked within the files and boot was there. When I insert the...