Windows 10: Windows boots fast with just SSD but much slower with SSD plus HDD

Discus and support Windows boots fast with just SSD but much slower with SSD plus HDD in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Why is it that my computer boots in seconds with just an SSD where Windows is installed but about 4X as long when I attach a secondary hard drive?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by socklosk, Oct 7, 2018.

1. socklosk Win User

Windows boots fast with just SSD but much slower with SSD plus HDD

Why is it that my computer boots in seconds with just an SSD where Windows is installed but about 4X as long when I attach a secondary hard drive?

Thanks!

:)

socklosk, Oct 7, 2018
  2. DaveM121 Win User

SSD VS HDD

Storage wise an SSD is absolutely no different to a HDD - 500GB SSD = 500GB HDD.

The difference between an SSD and an HDD is mainly Read/Write speed - How fast Windows, Applications and Files load

An SSD is much faster than an HDD

Also SSD's do not need defragmenting as they employ a totally different method of storing files and deleting files.

I Hope this Answers your Question!

DaveM121, Oct 7, 2018
  3. alden2662 Win User
    How to change boot from HDD to SSD?

I recently installed Crucial 275 GB M2 SSD in my new Acer Aspire E5-575-33BM laptop and cloned HDD to SSD with Easy US Todo back up software. Cloning appear to be successful and on disk management menu SSD looks like it healthy and has all Windows and partition
    copied and ready. Now, how to change boot from HDD to SSD? I understand I need to change boot on BIOS but not sure how to do it exactly. I tried to do it from YouTube video with changes in BIOS, but now I am not sure whether I did everything right and made
    laptop to boot from SSD or it still boots from HDD. Will appreciate some instructions how to check if boot comes from SSD and if not -how to change boot to SSD.

Thanks

AD

Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Windows Ink & touch

alden2662, Oct 7, 2018
  4. alden2662 Win User

How to change boot from HDD to SSD?

Hello,

Thank you for the advice, I followed your instruction, went to F2 in BIOS and changed sequence of bootable disks putting SDD on top of HDD, so it was on BIOS like this :1) Windows, 2) SSD Crucial; 3) Toshiba HDD ( original drive).

But results were pretty suprising: booting did not cut by 80% like some people say it will if boot will go from SSD instead of HDD. It looks to me booting from SSD is even longer than from HDD and I now wonder if cloning was done correctly, may be it something
    wrong with partition?

I checked disk management and copied image from it. Disk 1 (SSD) shows Healthy (primary partition) and HDD shows Healthy (boot, page file, crash dump and primary partition). SSD is missing page file, crash dump) May be it's the reason why SSD boot is slow?
    And if I will have to erase my cloned Windows from SSD is it possible to clone it again to the same SSD may be using different software?. I am afraid if I format SSD to re-clone my HDD, it will erase not just my Windows and some other apps on SSD but also
    it will erase installation software that came with SSD. I will appreciate your advice.

AD

Windows boots fast with just SSD but much slower with SSD plus HDD 266726ee-d797-4c2e-ac3a-f59b4402f746?upload=true.png

alden2662, Oct 7, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows boots fast with just SSD but much slower with SSD plus HDD - Similar Threads - boots fast SSD

2. Cloned HDD to SSD, how to set SSD as Boot?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cloned HDD to SSD, how to set SSD as Boot?: I've recently got my new SSD and cloned the HDD to it. When I went back to the BIOS to set the boot priority and restarted the computer, it wouldn't boot Windows 10 "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key". My SSD is...
  3. Cloned HDD to SSD, how to set SSD as Boot?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cloned HDD to SSD, how to set SSD as Boot?: I've recently got my new SSD and cloned the HDD to it. When I went back to the BIOS to set the boot priority and restarted the computer, it wouldn't boot Windows 10 "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key". My SSD is...
  4. HDD Required to boot SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    HDD Required to boot SSD: I've installed windows 10 on a new SSD Samsung 870 EVO 1TB and it works just fine currently using it to create this post. However, my problem is that it seems that I need my old HDD to be able to boot the SDD. I want to set the SSD as the primary bootable device, but when I...
  5. HDD Required to boot SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HDD Required to boot SSD: I've installed windows 10 on a new SSD Samsung 870 EVO 1TB and it works just fine currently using it to create this post. However, my problem is that it seems that I need my old HDD to be able to boot the SDD. I want to set the SSD as the primary bootable device, but when I...
  6. HDD Required to boot SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Windows File explorer slow on HDD but fast on SSD.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows File explorer slow on HDD but fast on SSD.: My Acer Aspire 5 i5. 8GB DDR4 RAM, 256GB SSD C:+1TB HDD D:+E:, Windows 10 had become laggy and unresponsive a few days back. I restarted normally and on startup it went into scanning and repair and was stuck for nearly 5 days. It fixed only my D: HDD but I lost all my data...
  8. Boot slower overtime on SSD

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Boot slower overtime on SSD: Hi! I need some help on this because I can't really figure out what's going on. A few months ago my 7200 RPM HDD died on me, so I took that as an opportunity and switched to SSD. It's a Kingston A400 with 240 GB capacity. At first the boot time was pretty quick, around 10 -...
  9. Slower PC: Possible SSD or HDD problem

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Slower PC: Possible SSD or HDD problem: Two weeks ago more or less i started noticing that PC was slower, while playing games, which is mostly what i do since its a gaming setup. I started to get slower, laggy and sometimes freezes. To a point where it completely freezed windows functions, the bar wasnt working and...
  10. Windows 10 often boots fast, but much slower at times

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 often boots fast, but much slower at times: I have my OS on an SSD and my computer often boots in about 10-15 seconds but after about every 5 boots, it takes 30-40 seconds. There is nothing unusual in the Event Viewer when it boots slowly (usually some 10016 errors and a 360 warning all the times). Any idea why this...