Windows 10: Windows boots laptop, but doesn't turn it off, so the battery gets drained

Discus and support Windows boots laptop, but doesn't turn it off, so the battery gets drained in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hey community, my Laptop seems to boot on its own, when I put Windows 10 to hibernation. That is very annoying and problematic, since it apparently... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by MGFCF, Apr 5, 2021.

1. MGFCF Win User

Windows boots laptop, but doesn't turn it off, so the battery gets drained

Hey community,

my Laptop seems to boot on its own, when I put Windows 10 to hibernation.

That is very annoying and problematic, since it apparently does not turn itself off afterwards, so it drains all the battery, and my laptop might be in a closed bag, so that there is no air to cool it and heat gets build up.

How can I prevent this from happening? I assume, just properly shutting it down would do it, but hibernation works fine on my desktop PC and I would like to use it.

I usually just put my laptop in hibernation and when I want to use it afterwards, I take it, open the lid and then the laptop already turns on, which it shouldn't do when it is hibernating. It seems like, the laptop was only sleeping and just turned on instantly, so someone, in this case windows, must have turned on my laptop without properly shutting it down again, or even better, put it back into hibernation.

I also have an ubuntu based linux installed in parallel, though the boot menu boots windows by default. In the beginning, it still was booting linux as default, which just caused the same issue, but with linux being active after me opening the lid.

If you have any question, feel free to ask. Thanks in advance for any help,

Max

:)

MGFCF, Apr 5, 2021

2. Laptop not booting to Windows 10 after new battery installed.

Hi Mr Bill,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I would suggest you to contact your manufacturer regarding the battery issue. As of now you can power drain your laptop and check if it helps.

Follow the steps below:

• Disconnect the AC Adapter.

• Remove the Battery.

• Hold the Power button down for 30 seconds to 1 minute.

• Reconnect the AC adapter.

• Turn on the laptop power.

Hope it helps.

SujataMoktan, Apr 5, 2021
  3. Shawn Win User
    Surface Book battery drain while turned off

As the title describes, it happened this morning after charging it the night before to 100%, I disconnected the power source and had it on for a few minutes then turned if off. About nine hours later, I turn it one (without power chord) and it was at 33%!!

I ran a powecfg report and the cycles (~100) and watts seem normal.
    I ran a sleep study and it showed a "abnormal shutdown" around the time I turned it on. Info is below.

The system is up to date per its own autoupdater.

Any suggestions?

Time before the event (power report)

Windows boots laptop, but doesn't turn it off, so the battery gets drained [​IMG]

(sleep report):

Windows boots laptop, but doesn't turn it off, so the battery gets drained [​IMG]

Details of the event:

thank you,

Surface Book
    i5, 8Gb, Nvidia

Shawn, Apr 5, 2021
  4. Keager Win User

Battery drains while on sleep mode.

even mine has a slow battery drain, using Win 8.1. Even when powered off, not in sleep or hibernate, but off. It still uses the battery to keep the clock going.
    Turn off fast start, as suggested, hibernate over sleep as it uses less power, and if you aren't going to use it for several hours, shut it off.

Keager, Apr 5, 2021
Thema:

1. Windows boots laptop, but doesn't turn it off, so the battery gets drained - Similar Threads - boots laptop doesn't

2. My Acer laptop battery drains when the laptop is turned off

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    My Acer laptop battery drains when the laptop is turned off: My Acer Aspire 5 battery stays hot and drains when the computer is turned off https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-acer-laptop-battery-drains-when-the-laptop-is/22297863-8924-48e2-84c4-a14a0e2b7513
  3. My Acer laptop battery drains when the laptop is turned off

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My Acer laptop battery drains when the laptop is turned off: My Acer Aspire 5 battery stays hot and drains when the computer is turned off https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-acer-laptop-battery-drains-when-the-laptop-is/22297863-8924-48e2-84c4-a14a0e2b7513
  4. My Acer laptop battery drains when the laptop is turned off

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Battery drains when turned off

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Battery drains when turned off: I bought a HP 820 G3 that runs on Windows 10. I discovered that the battery drains when turned off completely. What do I do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/battery-drains-when-turned-off/5ae56c7b-f9c7-4ec0-8ec6-8e1195c553a3
  6. Battery drains when turned off

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Battery drains when turned off: I bought a HP 820 G3 that runs on Windows 10. I discovered that the battery drains when turned off completely. What do I do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/battery-drains-when-turned-off/5ae56c7b-f9c7-4ec0-8ec6-8e1195c553a3
  7. Battery drains when turned off

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Battery drains so fast

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Battery drains so fast: Dear Microsoft, I am Using Windows 10 Home on Vostro 3590The battery drains out so fast see that the full charge capacity is far away from the design capacityPlease adviceThank you in advance...
  9. Laptop Battery Drains To 0% After Booting Into Windows

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Laptop Battery Drains To 0% After Booting Into Windows: I have an ASUS Zephyrus M laptop.I am unable to boot into Windows 10 on battery.Immediately upon getting into Windows, the battery drains to 0% and Windows shuts down.The thing about it is, if I boot up the laptop plugged into the power, then disconnect the power lead, the...
  10. Surface Book battery drain while turned off

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Surface Book battery drain while turned off: As the title describes, it happened this morning after charging it the night before to 100%, I disconnected the power source and had it on for a few minutes then turned if off. About nine hours later, I turn it one (without power chord) and it was at 33%!! I ran a powecfg...