Windows 10: Windows broke laptop battery charging

Discus and support Windows broke laptop battery charging in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; MSI GT72 running fully patched win 10 will not charge battery. Replaced battery, updated drivers, adjusted power settings all to no avail. Seems to be... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by RichardGreene7, Feb 5, 2021.

1. Windows broke laptop battery charging

MSI GT72 running fully patched win 10 will not charge battery. Replaced battery, updated drivers, adjusted power settings all to no avail. Seems to be windows as the hardware is functional. Lot's of reports that windows changed charging protocols bc they were blowing up HP laptop batteries. Now with windows update I can't charge my laptop at all. Meter reads 97% but not charging. When unplugged the laptop dies within seconds. I already tried all the stuff about unplugging battery, uninstalling drivers, etc. Battery report shows no recent battery use and fully charged. Anyone know of a workaround while we see if Microsoft even bothers to fix this bug?

:)

RichardGreene7, Feb 5, 2021

2. Battery Won't Charge Fully

Make sure to install all Windows important updates.

Install latest versions of your laptop device drivers you can download the latest device drivers from the device manufacturer or from your laptop manufacturer website.

Step 1

1. Shutdown your laptop.

2. Remove the battery.

3. Connect the AC power adapter to your laptop.

4. Power on the laptop

5. Open the Device Manager by typing Devmgmt.msc into Start Menu or from Control Panel.

6. Under the Batteries category, right-click all of the Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery listings, and select Uninstall (it’s ok if you only have 1).

Windows broke laptop battery charging pbDp4sx.png

7. Shutdown the laptop.

8. Insert the battery.

9. Power on the laptop.

If above suggestions wont resolve the battery charge issue then follow below steps.

Step 2

1. Shutdown the laptop.

2. Remove the battery.

3. Start the laptop with only AC adapter connected to laptop.

4. When you login to Windows OS connect the battery while Windows OS working.

Step 3

Reset the System Management Controller. Use one of these methods to reset the SMC, which controls battery management, battery status light.

1. Shut down the computer and disconnect the power cord.

2. Remove the battery.

3. Press and hold the power button for ten seconds.

4. Reattach the battery and AC power adapter, then start up the laptop.

Hopefully one of the above suggestions will help you resolve the battery not charging problem. If battery still doesn't charge, you may need to replace your battery.

FreeBooter, Feb 5, 2021
  3. Plugged in but battery does not charge

If the laptop works without the battery then charger is functioning correctly. Take a cloth with a bit of rubbing alcohol on it (or some on-the-go alcohol swabs), and clean the metal contacts that connect your battery to your laptop.

Make sure to install all Windows important updates.

Install latest versions of your laptop device drivers you can download the latest device drivers from the device manufacturer or from your laptop manufacturer website.

Step 1

1. Shutdown your laptop.

2. Remove the battery.

4. Power on the laptop

5. Open the Device Manager by typing Devmgmt.msc into Start Menu or from Control Panel.

6. Under the Batteries category, right-click all of the Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery listings, and select Uninstall (it’s ok if you only have 1).

Windows broke laptop battery charging pbDp4sx.png

7. Shutdown the laptop.

8. Insert the battery.

9. Power on the laptop.

If above suggestions wont resolve the battery charge issue then follow below steps.

Step 2

1. Shutdown the laptop.

2. Remove the battery.

Step 3

Reset the System Management Controller. Use one of these methods to reset the SMC, which controls battery management, battery status light.

1. Shut down the computer and disconnect the power cord.

2. Remove the battery.

3. Press and hold the power button for ten seconds.

4. Reattach the battery and AC power adapter, then start up the laptop.

Hopefully one of the above suggestions will help you resolve the battery not charging problem. If battery still doesn't charge, you may need to replace your battery.

FreeBooter, Feb 5, 2021
  4. Windows broke laptop battery charging

laptop battery wont charge after latest update

1. Shutdown your laptop.

2. Remove the battery.

4. Power on the laptop

6. Under the Batteries category, right-click all of the Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery listings, and select Uninstall (it’s okay if you only have 1).

7. Shutdown the laptop.

8. Insert the battery.

9. Power on the laptop.

Step 2

1. Shutdown the laptop.

2. Remove the battery.

FreeBooter, Feb 5, 2021
Thema:

Windows broke laptop battery charging

1. Windows broke laptop battery charging - Similar Threads - broke laptop battery

2. Windows 10 laptop battery not charging.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 laptop battery not charging.: Hello,My laptop W10 just 13 months old with good backup. When at 50% charge plugged in,observed that plugged in symbol not shown in Battery icon. And battery charge indicator red led does not glow. it just pops up for a second one or two times that's it. My battery is...
  3. Laptop Battery not Charging?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Laptop Battery not Charging?: Hi! I was wondering why my laptop battery displays 76% available plugged in. But the issue is that I don't think it's charging very well. Once the battery had reached 76%, it began to charge very slow. Sometimes it happens around 70% to 80% and stops charging. The display...
  4. Laptop battery is not charging fully

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Laptop battery is not charging fully: The battery of my new laptop is charging to 93-95%. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/laptop-battery-is-not-charging-fully/16e83c54-4ebe-4670-9d06-0fa257cdb6a2
  5. Laptop battery not charging

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Laptop battery not charging: After the recent update KB4532695 my laptop battery has stopped charging. when I connect the directly to the power supply it briefly shows its charging then a few seconds later it stop. now I have to work with the laptop when its constantly connected to the power supply....
  6. Battery charging on my laptop

in Windows 10 Customization
    Battery charging on my laptop: I have an Asus vivo Pro laptop, and, yet AGAIN, after another windows update, I find myself looking for solutions for a battery net charging to 100 percent issue. Please Microsoft, stop screwing with my battery level settings or I will buy an Apple product. Windows 10 Sucks...
  7. Laptop battery not charging

Laptop battery not charging: My charging light is flashing. I have cleaned everything and plugged into a different sauce https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/laptop-battery-not-charging/07956957-1800-4b6a-ae57-acf27c6b65ba
  8. laptop battery not charging

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    laptop battery not charging: my laptop says the battery is not charging and will not power on just the battery. Im thinking its possibly a driver issue. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/laptop-battery-not-charging/dca14bb2-6164-4a50-a166-96f46d395b24
  9. Laptop battery not charging

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Laptop battery not charging: This is yet another issue I am experiencing after the 1809 fall update, nothing else in my system has been changed other than the installation of the 1809 fall update, so I am confident it's at the root of the problem. Let me first state I never use my battery, ever, and it...
  10. New Laptop Battery Not Charging

New Laptop Battery Not Charging: I have a Toshiba Satellite L550. The OEM battery was, at this point, eight years old and barely held a charge for more than 40 minutes if the AC adapter was unplugged. Went to a battery store today and got a replacement battery. I held my power button down while the AC was...