Windows 10: Windows broken after manually removing the windows.old folder

Discus and support Windows broken after manually removing the windows.old folder in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Since I removed the windows.old folder to clean up some disk space, I am running into issues. It was hard to remove the folder in the first place, as I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by MightyMauz95, Nov 30, 2020.

1. Windows broken after manually removing the windows.old folder

Since I removed the windows.old folder to clean up some disk space, I am running into issues. It was hard to remove the folder in the first place, as I needed to reboot a few times before deleting the folder. It was almost as if the folder was still in use.

Once the folder was gone, I got some error messages, and some programs are gone. The calendar app doesn't start anymore. But the worst is that MS Office is gone. Just gone. I have tried to re-install it, but it always fails about halfway, with an error about file writing permissions. I have tried to install my own Office 2016 version and the 365 version from work. But both give similar problems.

I have also tried all of the solutions on this page but to no avail.

I am not ready to do a clean install yet, as my only real problem is that I cannot install MS Office, but everything else is working just fine.

:)

MightyMauz95, Nov 30, 2020
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Nov 30, 2020
  3. Anusha Win User
    C windows installer folder - Delete?

He can do symbolic link redirection and move the files in it to a different location. *Wink Windows broken after manually removing the windows.old folder ;)
    Better try it out in a virtual of first. Just a suggestion.

Like:
    First move everything in c:\windows\installer to d:\installercache
    Then delete c:\windows\installer folder
    Then type this in command mode as admin
    mklink /d c:\windows\installer d:\installercache

Removing those installer files is a bad idea. it might prevent you from updating or uninstalling apps.

Anusha, Nov 30, 2020
  4. Windows broken after manually removing the windows.old folder

Removing Windows.old folder

I recently had to reinstall my OS (don't ask). Once I did there were files that I couldn't delete. Basically SecuROM files. Anyway long story short I found this workaround that I wanted to share with my fellow newbs. This will work for any file and works like a charm. Just follow the directions. *Toast :toast:
    Note: there is no space between "Administrators: (F)" I just had to but one in because it kept giving me an "unhappy face"

When installing Windows Vista, Windows stores any existing installation of Windows on the install partition inside a hidden folder called windows.old. This folder could take up a large amount of disk space.

Note: Please check the contents of the windows.old folder before deleting it to make sure there are no files stored there that you may wish to keep.

Deleting the window.old folder using the disk cleanup wizard
    Click start
    Type: disk cleanup
    Press enter
    Select "Files from all users on this computer"
    Follow the rest of the instructions listed on the wizard and select the option to delete the windows.old folder
    Deleting the windows.old folder manually
    1) Open an elevated command prompt

Click start
    Type: cmd
    right-click it under programs
    click Run As Administrator
    2) Take ownership

Change the directory to the windows.old folder (e.g. cd c:\windows.old)
    Type: takeown /F . /A /R /D Y > NUL
    3) grant yourself permission

Type: icacls . /grant:r Administrators: (F) /T /L /Q
    4) Delete everything

Make sure you close any explorer or command windows that are looking at or inside the windows.old folder (except for the command window you are using). If you don't, you will receive an error while performing this step.

Type: cd ..
    Type: rmdir /S /Q windows.old

TheMailMan78, Nov 30, 2020
Thema:

Windows broken after manually removing the windows.old folder

1. Windows broken after manually removing the windows.old folder - Similar Threads - broken manually removing

2. Windows old folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows old folder: I have updated Windows 10 to Windows 11 online. There is a folder contained named "Windows.old" which is occupied more than 14 GB of data. May I delete the folder? Please advise me....
  3. Windows old folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows old folder: I have updated Windows 10 to Windows 11 online. There is a folder contained named "Windows.old" which is occupied more than 14 GB of data. May I delete the folder? Please advise me....
  4. Windows watermark manual removal

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows watermark manual removal: I just wanted to ask if it is legal to remove the activate windows watermark or enable dark theme with the Registry Editor? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-watermark-manual-removal/d48a8458-25cc-4f1b-b8fb-c02d6a74eb50
  5. 'Ghost Folder' After Removing Old Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    'Ghost Folder' After Removing Old Drive: Hello, I just removed an old hard drive which had my iCloud folder. It left behind the directory to iCloud with no way of deleting it; here is what it looks like: [ATTACH] How can I get rid of this? It looks bad and any Windows action I try can't detect it as the drive is...
  6. Can't remove folders from old install of windows

Can't remove folders from old install of windows: I had to reinstall windows and now I have folders from my last install of windows I cant remove. These folders I had games from game pass installed to and cant remove that folder now. how do I remove this folder without formatting the drive? The amount of data I have to...
  7. Removing an old user folder

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Removing an old user folder: Hi all, I had to re-install Windows 10 & it created a username folder "roysq" My old one was "roysquires" I have managed to create a new one, but cannot delete the old one "roysqu." If I delete the folder it just returns. I have tried Regedit / HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINNE >...
  8. Windows 10: Removal of old (old, old) Windows installation

Windows 10: Removal of old (old, old) Windows installation: I have followed a few threads on manual removal of the Windows.old folder after automatic methods do not work, and none that I have seen has addressed the particular version of the problem I am seeing, which is that there appears to be a hard link embedded in this folder,...
  9. Windows Apps Folder Not Removing Old Versions

Windows Apps Folder Not Removing Old Versions: My windowsapps folder contain multiple versions of apps i no longer have installed such as candy crush saga and disneymagic kingdoms. How can i delete the items from windowsapps?...
  10. Manual downgrade from W10 to W7 AFTER 30 days? (.old folder exists)

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Manual downgrade from W10 to W7 AFTER 30 days? (.old folder exists): Hi, I'm trying to downgrade to Windows 7 from Windows 10 and I have gone past the 30 days grace period so I can't do it via the usual Update & security -> Recovery -method as I'm getting the "Unfortunately you can't go back..." -message. HOWEVER, I'm seeing that the...