Windows 10: $windows.~bt folder will not delete and is not deleted by disk cleanup run as administrator.

Discus and support $windows.~bt folder will not delete and is not deleted by disk cleanup run as administrator. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; The $windows.~bt folder has never been a problem but after an inplace upgrade to cure a failed update this week, the folder and 16 gigs of data would... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Tsoilihoi, Apr 17, 2021.

1. Tsoilihoi Win User

$windows.~bt folder will not delete and is not deleted by disk cleanup run as administrator.

The $windows.~bt folder has never been a problem but after an inplace upgrade to cure a failed

update this week, the folder and 16 gigs of data would not delete! All the techs are telling me

it is an essential part of the OS. But unless something changed in the terrible march 09, 21 update,
    then something happened that the os put hooks into the folder and its subs.

I used a unhook program which took 9 hours and deposited the folders and files into the recycle bin.
    I removed the files with a file manager which left 6000 folders created by the recycle bin. These $ folders

were created by the recycle bin to hold the data that was put there. Nothing would remove them.
    I used an Aomei backup image to go back to January and we will see if the march and april windows updates

run smoothly.

I had no problem deleting the ~bt folder and subs on my other machine. In fact I think I did it with file manager.

Its been a real labor intensive couple of week. Things have not gone smoothly. Kind of like Russian Roulette
    to see if an update will proceed. Microsoft update roulette!

I am not new to computers, my first OS being DOS 5 and I am careful.

Never ever have problems except during updates.

Has anyone experienced these kind of issues or know of changes in the root update files.

I am being told that they are essential and need to remain. That is very different from what

I have come to know and is shared on this forum.

Paul

:)

Tsoilihoi, Apr 17, 2021
  2. RoboX Win User

Windows 8 - delete windows folders in another drive

I have the problem (from Windows 8) to delete the folders windows and programs on a secondary disk on which it was 7 .... know how to get full control to delete those folders?

RoboX, Apr 17, 2021
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    What is the $WINDOWS.`BT folder? Is it safe to delete?

Hi Lam

Open the Settings App (gear icon on your Start Menu)

Go to Update and Security - Windows Updates

What update(s) are showing as pending on your system?

if you are seeing a Feature Update like version 1809 or 1903 in that list, then most likely the files being downloaded fro that update are in the $WINDOWS.`BT folder

Otherwise, you can safely delete that folder, run Disk Cleanup twice as explained below, then after that, if that folder still exists, try deleting it manually . .

Before proceeding, if you have any files in your Downloads folder that you need to keep, move those to another folder for long term storage . . .

Open File Explorer

Click on your hard drive

On the Manage Tab, click Cleanup

Let Disk Cleanup do its initial scan

Select Everything in the list and choose Delete

Start Disk Cleanup again

Let Disk Cleanup do its initial scan

This time in the resulting dialog, click 'Cleanup System Files'

Let Disk Cleanup run another scan

Select Everything in the list and choose Delete

DaveM121, Apr 17, 2021
  4. Raven2099 Win User

$windows.~bt folder will not delete and is not deleted by disk cleanup run as administrator.

The Windows.old folder will not delete

So I followed these steps:

• I opened my search box.

• In the search box, type Admin, I right clicked Disk Cleanup and selected run as Administrator.
    • In the Disk Cleanup dialog, I clicked Clean up system files.

• I select the Previous Windows installation(s) check box, and then clicked OK.

• I then clicked Delete files.

the folder is still there.... any ideas what to do now???

Raven2099, Apr 17, 2021
Thema:

1. $windows.~bt folder will not delete and is not deleted by disk cleanup run as administrator. - Similar Threads - $windows ~bt folder

2. Delete in disk cleanup windows update cleanup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Delete in disk cleanup windows update cleanup: Hello all!I''ve a question, in pratically i do all the possible for trying to delete the "Windows Update cleanup" from my disk, but anything resolve the issue and still display that there are 1GB of cache of WUC, some fix to this mess? The last thing that i could do is do the...
  3. Delete in disk cleanup windows update cleanup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Delete in disk cleanup windows update cleanup: Hello all!I''ve a question, in pratically i do all the possible for trying to delete the "Windows Update cleanup" from my disk, but anything resolve the issue and still display that there are 1GB of cache of WUC, some fix to this mess? The last thing that i could do is do the...
  4. What does the "Windows Update Cleanup" delete in disk cleanup and what is the folder path...

What does the "Windows Update Cleanup" delete in disk cleanup and what is the folder path...: What does the "Windows Update Cleanup" delete in disk cleanup and what is the folder path that it deletes can someone please tell me what files/ folder path does this action clean up just the windows update Cleanup thanks in advance...
  5. WindowsApps/Deleted folder cleanup

WindowsApps/Deleted folder cleanup: Hi, my Program Files\WindowsApps\Deleted contains 200G of files from an app I already removed.The program is not listed under Apps & features, so I cannot uninstall it.The folders are all owned by System and thwart every attempt at removal.How do I clear this folder? The...
  6. how to delete Windows BT folder ??

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    how to delete Windows BT folder ??: I am trying to do a fresh windows install via Refresh Tool and cant because it says couldn't start please try after pc reboot.After quite a bit of google-ing i found out that i need to delete the Windows BT Folder, but i can't even in safe mode because it says that i need...
  7. Can't delete $WINDOWS~.BT folder (disk cleanup won't help)

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't delete $WINDOWS~.BT folder (disk cleanup won't help): Hello, I've that $WINDOWS~.BT which doesn't seems to be auto deleted by Windows 10. There is no "Previous Windows installation" entry in Disk Cleanup utility for that disk. Can't delete most of it manually due to "Folder access denied" error message. What can I do next?...
  8. Disk Cleanup not deleting items in Download Folders

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Disk Cleanup not deleting items in Download Folders: Hi, I am using Disk cleanup tools to clean my PC once in a while. I found a problem while trying to clean my Download folder. As per the size stated in Disk Cleanup, my Download folder is empty 0kb. But in actual fact, there are still some big sizes folders in the Download...
  9. Deleted "Download" folder files in using disk cleanup

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Deleted "Download" folder files in using disk cleanup: I'm not aware that in newer version of Windows 10 (i don't know in what particular update) that they included in Disk clean up the deletion of Download files. And now i can't recover anymore my files even using any recovery tools. I already downloaded many files in download...
  10. How to delete $Windows.~BT folder

in Windows 10 Support
    How to delete $Windows.~BT folder: I have spent a lot of time trying to reinstall Windows 10 on my three year old Dell Inspiron desktop, but cannot do so. I'm no techie, but it seems to me that it is a $Windows.~BT folder that is preventing me from doing so. From what I have read, Windows should have done so...