Windows 10: $Windows.~BT New OS directory - Can't delete

Discus and support $Windows.~BT New OS directory - Can't delete in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; My win 10, WinSider PC, seems to have downloaded Win 11 in the Windows.~BT folder. It takes about 15GB of space. I want it gone. My system hardware... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by KLund1, Aug 12, 2021.

1. KLund1 Win User

$Windows.~BT New OS directory - Can't delete

My win 10, WinSider PC, seems to have downloaded Win 11 in the Windows.~BT folder. It takes about 15GB of space. I want it gone. My system hardware (currently) can't use win11, which I think this is. I have tried all the usual methods to remove/delete. None can do it. the directory is protected somehow. I am unable to take control of the directory. I have tried several scripts I found online, and none work. WIn10 disk clean up does not see it. I have added a user to the directory properties as Full User and I still get errors trying to delete it. I am a nocie CMD level user. I can copy and paste into a CMD adin window, and click a lot elsewhere. No programmer am I. (I know 8-bit BASIC very well) All the things I googled and tried may have made things worse. But my redundantry dos skills do not think I did too much damage. I have read and followed many links online to delete this directory. None have been helpful . Please send some help. Link, pages, Ideas? Thanks in advance! KL

:)

KLund1, Aug 12, 2021

2. Deleting $windows.~bt

Hi Acer,

I will be glad to help you with the issue you have in deleting Windows .~folder.

When you upgrade your current version of Windows to a newer version, the upgrade process will create backups of important directories from your previous version of Windows. These directories include your user profiles, Windows folder, Program Files directory,
    and other important locations. These backups are then stored in two folders called
    Windows.old and $Windows.~BT, which can be used after the upgrade to recover any data that may not have been properly migrated over to the new version of Windows.

Open Command Prompt (Admin).

Copy-paste the following and hit Enter to delete the contents of $Windows.~BT directory

Now copy-paste the following and hit Enter to delete the contents of $Windows.~WS directory

If this works, you will see a Successfully processed message.

Thank you.

Ruth Buruga, Aug 12, 2021
  3. Directory Size Utility

New! Directory Size Utility BETA v1.3

Change Log v1.3
    • Resolved an issue where resizing caused the "Directory Size Utility" to crash. - Thanks Drone!
    • New button Icons.
    • New high resolution icon for the Directory Size Utility.
    • New Delete folder button.
    • New right click menu item("Delete folder") for folder list.
    • New Export to Excel button.
    • Renamed "Get folder..." to "Add folder..."
    • Clicking "Directory Size Utility" name in the about window will take you to the home web page.
    Download here!

Spoiler: New Screen Shot Main Screen

$Windows.~BT New OS directory - Can't delete Main.jpg

Mindweaver, Aug 12, 2021
  4. $Windows.~BT New OS directory - Can't delete

I deleted $Windows~.BT folder that was propably Windows 10 files. How to recover?

The Windows $BT folder is there in case you want to recover the old OS. It's not needed for an upgrade.

But here's a link anyway....*Smile $Windows.~BT New OS directory - Can't delete :) Windows 10 Build 10240

I think BT is an abbreviation for "Bloat". lol

Pill Monster, Aug 12, 2021
Thema:

$Windows.~BT New OS directory - Can't delete

1. $Windows.~BT New OS directory - Can't delete - Similar Threads - $Windows ~BT directory

2. Cannot delete $Windows,~bt.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cannot delete $Windows,~bt.: I have this folder that won't delete for anything i do. I tried everything i could find on the internet but nothing. I tried to change ownership but it always says "you need permission from x to change" x=anything i change ownership to. Some tips would be welcome. Btw,the...
  3. how to delete Windows BT folder ??

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    how to delete Windows BT folder ??: I am trying to do a fresh windows install via Refresh Tool and cant because it says couldn't start please try after pc reboot.After quite a bit of google-ing i found out that i need to delete the Windows BT Folder, but i can't even in safe mode because it says that i need...
  4. Delete Windows BT file

in Windows 10 Support
    Delete Windows BT file: Hi so I'm thinking of this weekend finally updating my windows version from 1809, but I have an issue I have about 20 GB's of space taken from a previous failed installed 1903 update back in September and I'd like to get rid of it. Disk Cleanup won't show the file and I...
  5. I can't delete $Windows.~BT

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I can't delete $Windows.~BT: I have been trying for most of the day to delete $Windows.~BT (it's at 20 GB on a 100 GB machine) I've tried disk cleanup two or three times, run scripts I found online, run some app to "take control". I keep getting the error "Login as an administrator to..." but I am, and...
  6. Deleting Directory

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Deleting Directory: I am logged in as an Administrator and I cannot delete a directory- I don't have permission. I checked in to properties and it says Administrators have Full Access. It also shows Trusted Installers have Full access - who is that???? How do I uninstall a directory ? Thanks...
  7. Remove the $windows.~BT and windows.old directories

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Remove the $windows.~BT and windows.old directories: Hi It is possible to remove the $windows.~BT and windows.old directories using the installation DVD of Windows 10 or using its advanced startup options via them Command Prompt? If so, how I do this? Thanks Bye 77631
  8. Does Update delete $WINDOWS.~BT before downloading the new one?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Does Update delete $WINDOWS.~BT before downloading the new one?: Does Update delete $WINDOWS.~BT before downloading the new one? Or does it just overwrite the existing files? 55846
  9. Delete the C:\$Windows.~BT and C:\Windows.old directory

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Delete the C:\$Windows.~BT and C:\Windows.old directory: Hi In Windows 10, how do I delete the C:\$Windows.~BT and C:\Windows.old directory? Thanks Bye 22003
  10. How to delete $Windows.~BT folder

in Windows 10 Support
    How to delete $Windows.~BT folder: I have spent a lot of time trying to reinstall Windows 10 on my three year old Dell Inspiron desktop, but cannot do so. I'm no techie, but it seems to me that it is a $Windows.~BT folder that is preventing me from doing so. From what I have read, Windows should have done so...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. remove $windows. ws