Windows 10: Windows bug: explorer.exe crashing after "previewing" Canon CR2 files.

Discus and support Windows bug: explorer.exe crashing after "previewing" Canon CR2 files. in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I've found a few others online with the same problem, but no solution. Explorer.exe will crash after browsing a folder with Canon RAW *.cr2 files, if... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Pooch76, Feb 16, 2020.

1. Windows bug: explorer.exe crashing after "previewing" Canon CR2 files.

I've found a few others online with the same problem, but no solution. Explorer.exe will crash after browsing a folder with Canon RAW *.cr2 files, if either the Preview or Details pane is on, and if i click on a file. i'm diving in and out of folders, i click one to then "preview" it w/ the Preview (or Details) pane, then pull OUT of the folder, CRASH (the pull out triggers it). Each time, i get an error report like the below. Here's the thing - it's not a problem with this installation. It started after an update back in ~Sept or Oct -- on my OLD PC. i then ran the usual "DISM /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth" and "sfc /scannow" but to no avail. i figured it was something weird w that PC and i was upgrading soon anyways... fast forward to this week, up and running on a brand new self-built PC, and bam - same ducking problem. I can avoid it if i turn off preview/details pane, but any advice is welcome!

Faulting application name: Explorer.EXE, version: 10.0.18362.628, time stamp: 0xc3041aa6

Faulting module name: explorerframe.dll, version: 10.0.18362.418, time stamp: 0x619c47cc

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x000000000000cdea

Faulting process id: 0x218c

Faulting application start time: 0x01d5e22fadadb64f

Faulting application path: C:\Windows\Explorer.EXE

Faulting module path: C:\Windows\system32\explorerframe.dll

Report Id: 6aab4394-e98c-43bf-a10b-90501fe541e4

submitted by /u/Pooch76
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Pooch76, Feb 16, 2020

2. Trouble with Canon CR2 RAW files

Thanks for the replies. I just had a quick chat with Canon. They're stumped too. Makes no sense why Windows 10 can handle all the existing CR2 files from this camera with no problem at all, but can't display any new ones that I try to download to my computer. I shot a test pic in JPG a few minutes ago, and that one is fine in Windows. Somewhere along the line Windows is eating the CR2, because the other photo editing software (including Canon's DPP) can't work with the new ones either.
    Here's the display in File Explorer - existing CR2 files and new ones:

Windows bug: explorer.exe crashing after "previewing" Canon CR2 files. [​IMG]

The Windows photo editor says it can't open the file.
    Maybe I have to shoot JPG with this camera from now on, which is a pain because RAW allows you to salvage pics that might otherwise be unusable.
    Thanks.

Anachronista, Feb 16, 2020
  3. Canon CR2 files are not viewable.

Yes no problem with reading the card and seeing the photo file icons in file explorer. Simply cannot view the photos. Had the same problem with a Canon 77D last year and exchanged the camera for a different model. The files can be opened with Photoshop
    but to see them for review and deletion of the blurry ones before opening them in Photoshop cannot be done. It's the model of camera, this Canon 6D and some kind of 'new' version of CR2. My other Canon's CR2 files have no problem. They are not corrupted, it's
    just a camera that has been out since last year and Microsoft/Canon haven't gotten together on it.

icouldbewrong, Feb 16, 2020
  4. Windows bug: explorer.exe crashing after "previewing" Canon CR2 files.

Canon CR2 files in windows explorer

My older canon 500d raw files I could preview in windows explorer - this now does not work with my newer canon 77d camera - can a new codec pack please be released for the newer raw formats.

Timcsalmon, Feb 16, 2020
Thema:

Windows bug: explorer.exe crashing after "previewing" Canon CR2 files.

1. Windows bug: explorer.exe crashing after "previewing" Canon CR2 files. - Similar Threads - bug explorer exe

2. CR2 files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    CR2 files: My HP computer wont accept my CR2 files from my canon 5 camera now yet it worked a week ago. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cr2-files/642fec26-8db2-4fb0-829f-3f9d782b1830
  3. Canon cr2+cr3 files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Canon cr2+cr3 files: I can`t view my photos in window 10 as I only shoot raw files in camera to save space and convert to jpeg for posting on the web. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/canon-cr2cr3-files/daec7058-3dc4-44b2-a7ab-07afa8ba0845
  4. file explorer preview pane crashing

in Windows 10 Support
    file explorer preview pane crashing: Late last week, in file explorer with preview pane set to on, file explorer crashes/freezes when any document is selected. I'm using Windows 10 Pro Version 10.0.18362 Build 18362. 148355
  5. Preview Pane Crashing File Explorer

Preview Pane Crashing File Explorer: Hello All, I've got a user here that is having trouble with her file explorer crashing when the preview pane or details pane is enabled. As soon as you go to move the explorer window or open a file the window stops responding and the mouse moves sporadically with the blue...
  6. Canon CR2 files in windows explorer

Canon CR2 files in windows explorer: My older canon 500d raw files I could preview in windows explorer - this now does not work with my newer canon 77d camera - can a new codec pack please be released for the newer raw formats....
  7. Unable to preview new CR2 Files in Windows 10 after newest update.

Unable to preview new CR2 Files in Windows 10 after newest update.: As of January 2019 I am no longer able to preview CR2 Files on my HP Envy Laptop. Is this an issue Microsoft is working on? I see a lot of people are having this issue. I can see them in Lightroom and Photoshop but am unable to preview in Windows prior to uploading which is...
  8. cr2 files

cr2 files: Please help very frustrated. Can NOT view thumbnails shot in raw from a 77d camera. Been using a canon and CR2 files for 3 years and have not ever had a problem. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cr2-files/bc201e05-f1f1-4c80-9ade-9421c32fc382
  9. Canon CR2 files are not viewable.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Canon CR2 files are not viewable.: I cannot view photos taken with a Canon 6D Mark 2. It has been out for a while. Downloaded codecs - no luck. Canon web site has no help also. (this also was a problem with Canon 70D last year.)...
  10. Trouble with Canon CR2 RAW files

Trouble with Canon CR2 RAW files: Hi: I upgraded from 8.1 to 10 about 6 weeks ago. Hopefully this is the right forum for the problem. Latest issue is that when I connect my (older) Canon camera via USB to the computer, Windows 10 can see the drive/CR2 files on it OK, but cannot display them (just lists them...