Windows 10: Windows Built-in apps disappeared after transferring boot drive to a new SSD

Discus and support Windows Built-in apps disappeared after transferring boot drive to a new SSD in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I had a Samsung EVO Plus 250GB NVMe SSD for my boot drive, however it got too full, so I bought a 1TB EVO Plus NVMe SSD for the new boot drive. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Taylor Geddes, Nov 23, 2022.

1. Windows Built-in apps disappeared after transferring boot drive to a new SSD

I had a Samsung EVO Plus 250GB NVMe SSD for my boot drive, however it got too full, so I bought a 1TB EVO Plus NVMe SSD for the new boot drive. I mirrored the drives and switched to the new drive in the BIOS and then formatted the old SSD to become a storage drive. However, when I formatted the old drive I lost all windows apps like Calculator, Windows store, and other built-in apps when Windows is installed. Where did I go wrong? Should I have kept the old drive unformatted? Was the old drive still being used for Windows UEFI and I caused an error by formatting it into a NTFS drive? I know I

:)

Taylor Geddes, Nov 23, 2022
  2. 2BearArmy Win User

Random Disappearing/Reappearing SSD on Boot

Config:

ASUS P8Z68-V Pro/Gen 3
    OWC Mercury Extreme Pro 6G 480GB SSD
    Corsair 850W PSU
    2x HD 6950 GPU's

My desktop has a 480GB SSD main drive (OS and games), and two secondary HDD's for media storage.

I have had no issues with this SSD, until I tried to add a second video card to my system, and subsequently had to remove it. After a couple re-installs and finally getting the Crossfire to work, I am still in this broken state.

Symptom:

If I put my computer to sleep, restart, power down, it is a complete gamble as to whether or not the system will see the boot drive. What is consistent, is that after a seemingly random interval, it will eventually see the drive and boot straight to windows.

Troubleshooting Steps:

• Reset Bios
    • Removed all other options for bootable devices
    • Re-installed Windows
    • Updated all OS drivers
    • Updated firmware for both the MoBo bios and the SSD.
    • Replaced all SATA cables
    • Moved to another SATA controller port
    • Switched power cables
    • SSDLife came back saying the drive is healthy
    I am literally out of ideas at this point, and the issue is extremely annoying. Sometimes my boot times are 30 seconds (if it sees the drive) sometimes it's 20 minutes (constant reboots until it sees the drive).

Anyone have any other ideas, or have seen this before?

2BearArmy, Nov 23, 2022
  3. Hood Win User
    Disappearing SSD Syndrome

I have the original Asus Z97 Deluxe board, and I'm also running a Plextor M6e in the M.2 slot. I also had problems with that drive, which was having weird latency issues when it had the original firmware, 1.03 I think. Then I updated the firmware to 1.04 and it had booting problems, which is when I took Windows off and started using the M.2 drive to install games only, booting Windows from a Samsung 850 Pro. Finally Plextor released firmware 1.05, which I suppose fixed the booting problem, but I never trusted it enough after that to use it as my boot drive. Besides, the 850 Pro had better random 4k performance and felt snappier. The M6e 256 is still my game drive, and loads them all very quickly. It's also still on firmware 1.05, although Plextor has released 1.06 and 1.07 since then (I don't trust their firmware updates - leaving it alone while it works fine). So I don't know if the new ones have problems, 1.05 works great though, hasn't disappeared again...yet!

4. dgpretzel Win User

Windows Built-in apps disappeared after transferring boot drive to a new SSD

Disappearing SSD Syndrome

Thank you for the information. I have built a new system, and am struggling with a disappearing SSD.

Q: Do you have any suggestions for dealing with a disappearing SSD that is an M.2 device. That is, it doesn't have separate SATA data and power connection-- just the motherboard slot. I have a Plextor M6e SSD plugged in to the M.2 slot on an ASUS Z97 Deluxe 3.1 MB.

Thank you for any comments.

Regards,

DG

dgpretzel, Nov 23, 2022
Thema:

Windows Built-in apps disappeared after transferring boot drive to a new SSD

1. Windows Built-in apps disappeared after transferring boot drive to a new SSD - Similar Threads - Built apps disappeared

2. Windows Built-in apps disappeared after transferring boot drive to a new SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Built-in apps disappeared after transferring boot drive to a new SSD: I had a Samsung EVO Plus 250GB NVMe SSD for my boot drive, however it got too full, so I bought a 1TB EVO Plus NVMe SSD for the new boot drive. I mirrored the drives and switched to the new drive in the BIOS and then formatted the old SSD to become a storage drive. However,...
  3. Windows Built-in apps disappeared after transferring boot drive to a new SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Built-in apps disappeared after transferring boot drive to a new SSD: I had a Samsung EVO Plus 250GB NVMe SSD for my boot drive, however it got too full, so I bought a 1TB EVO Plus NVMe SSD for the new boot drive. I mirrored the drives and switched to the new drive in the BIOS and then formatted the old SSD to become a storage drive. However,...
  4. Switched boot drive to new SSD, new windows install

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Switched boot drive to new SSD, new windows install: Hi, I inherited a computer from a friend. It had Windows 10 on it but an older HDD and older components, maybe 2010-2012ish. As far as i can tell they work fine. The OS and HDD is just real sluggish. So I got a 1TB SSD and attempted to install it to be the boot drive. I...
  5. Transferred Windows to new SSD

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Transferred Windows to new SSD: So I have 2 HDD and a new M.2 and I used one for years for Windows but I just got the M.2 and transferred windows 10 to it. All my hard drives are working but I cant figure out how to access any of my programs like Chrome and my old pictures. How do access them with out...
  6. Problems after transferring C: OS SSD Drive to new SSD

Problems after transferring C: OS SSD Drive to new SSD: I bought a new Samsung 860 pro 256gb. ssd to transfer everything from my main/OS drive to it since the drive is pretty old and, I've already had one drive just like it go bad and it was actually a little newer. First off, I just put the new drive in my Kingston docking bay...
  7. Activation after Transferring SSD to new PC

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Activation after Transferring SSD to new PC: I have copied the files and folders from one pc to another, but it has also transfered the operating system which is win10 Pro, to activate it I need to change it back to Windows 10 Home, what is the the best way to reinstall it without losing my settings and programs...
  8. Activation after Transferring SSD to new PC

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Activation after Transferring SSD to new PC: Hello all, today I upgraded my PC in its entirety by physically transferring my SSD to a new PC. It went smoothly but now I am being asked to activate Windows. The former owner of this PC did not own a licensed copy of Windows 10. I, on the other hand, do own a copy. When I...
  9. transfer windows to new ssd drive

transfer windows to new ssd drive: I know all the hard ways to buy a new drive and jury rig my windows 10 to the new drive, etc... But what is the official way, the Microsoft way to take everything on DRIVEC OLD and move it to the new and faster DRIVEC NEW? I've used disk mirroring software and then windows...
  10. Windows 10 transfer to SSD and boot

Windows 10 transfer to SSD and boot: I've ordered a 32GB SSD to replace my spinny 20gb drive. Whats the best way to transfer the system from spinny to SSD? I have Macrium Reflect, clone or image. I have a backup on another spinny in the same machine, but experimenting with XP on my laptop I restored an XP...