Windows Built in OS hotkey (NOT assignable application hotkeys)

Discus and support Windows Built in OS hotkey (NOT assignable application hotkeys) in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; We use dual screen with one application using 1 screen, and the other screen for everything else including the Desktop, File Explorer etc. Application... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by GrumpySmurf, Jun 5, 2018.

1. GrumpySmurf Win User

We use dual screen with one application using 1 screen, and the other screen for everything else including the Desktop, File Explorer etc.

Application 1 requires a special Macro Keyboard which sends out CTRL-SHIFT-1 (and 2, 3, 4 etc) to it. These cannot be changed.

Unfortunately Windows' Desktop OS built in hotkey for CTRL-SHIFT-1 (and 2, 3, 4) happens to be a shortcut to change the desktop & file icon sizes to extremely large etc. Go on, try it. Click on your desktop and press CTRL-SHIFT-1

How can I either disable these hotkeys when its on the desktop? And still have the Application 1 working with them obviously? Or if I can re-assign them to change active application window that will be even better.

Please note, these ARE NOT application hotkeys, they are Windows OS built in.

:)

GrumpySmurf, Jun 5, 2018
  2. Isha Soni Win User

Windows 10 win hotkey

Hi,

Hi,

Thanks for posting your query to Microsoft forum. I will certainly help you with this.

Generally WIN key is used to quickly access Start Menu or Start Screen in Windows. But you can also use WIN key in combination with another key to access other programs or features in Windows

Do you want to Disable WIN+ hotkeys or Disable WIN key completely?

To disable WIN+ hotkeys, follow the methods:

METHOD 1: Using Group Policy Editor (gpedit.msc)

• Press Windows key on the keyboard.
    • Type gpedit.msc in RUN or Start search box and press Enter. It'll open
      Group Policy Editor.
    • Now go to: User Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Windows/File Explorer
    • In right-side pane, look for "Turn off Windows+X hotkeys" option.
    • The option would be set to Not Configured. Double-click on it and set it to
      Enabled

Note :To re-enable the hotkeys in feature, again set the "Turn off Windows+X hotkeys" option to
    Not Configured.

METHOD 2: Using Registry Editor (regedit)

Important: This method contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added
    protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge
    Base:

How to back up and restore the registry in Windows

• Type regedit in RUN or Start search box and press Enter. It'll open
      Registry Editor.
    • Now go to following key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
    • In right-side pane, create a new DWORD NoWinKeys and set its value to
    • Close Registry Editor and restart your system. After reboot the WIN+ hotkeys will be turned off in your system.
    Note :To re-enable WIN+ hotkeys in future, delete the DWORD
    NoWinKeys created in step 3.

Let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to help you further.

Thanks & Regards,

Isha Soni, Jun 5, 2018
  3. bipinlimbasiya Win User
    Laptop hotkeys not working [windows10]

I used this method and get solution for wifi keys problem on windows 10 on Me HCL laptop.

I suggest you to try installing Hotkeys driver.

Follow these steps after install the drivers check if that helps.

• Download the keyboard drivers and hot fix (PHotkeys) driver from the manufacturer’s website.
    • Install driver on your system
    • Go to Path of installed driver Right-click on the driver setup file and click on ‘Troubleshoot comparability’.
    • On the ‘Test Compatibility settings for the program pop up windows’ open and click the box ‘Test the program’ Once this is done, check if the issue persists.

bipinlimbasiya, Jun 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows Built in OS hotkey (NOT assignable application hotkeys) - Similar Threads - Built hotkey assignable

2. BSOD after installing Cumulative Update KB4343909 Windows 10 v1803 Aug

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD after installing Cumulative Update KB4343909 Windows 10 v1803 Aug: Win10 Pro Completed all updates last night - no issues Woke machine this early afternoon and had a BSOD but missed reading complete details (may have said driver issue) Rebooted ok and found that I had no sound Rebooted again and still n/g Troubleshooter was n/g Restored...
  3. Windows 10 installation failure - explorer.exe application error

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 installation failure - explorer.exe application error: So after a few hours of windows reinstalling, it was time to pick a language, keyboard language aswell as my timezone, which I did however I got this “explor.exe application error” which automatically closed itself after around 2 seconds and which then my pc restarted, after...
  4. Windows 10 upgrade

Windows 10 upgrade: So I need to know if there's any legal issues/licence issues with the way I upgraded to win 10. I downloaded the "MediaCreationTool1803" from your website then just used it to click my way to a full windows 10 from windows 7, it's fully activated and I did not use any...
  5. In Windows 10, I am not able to uninstall a program using the Settings App utility. Is...

In Windows 10, I am not able to uninstall a program using the Settings App utility. Is...: In Windows 10, I am not able to uninstall a program using the App Settings utility. Is there another way? I believe that I had inadvertently deleted a file from the Programs (x86) folder for that program. When I try to uninstall the program using the settings utility, I...
  6. Windows Updates downloading and installing during active hours

Windows Updates downloading and installing during active hours: Hi Windows 10 updated always downloads and installs updates during my active hours which slows the computer to a crawl. I have checked and double checked the active hours settings and it still downloads and installs the update (luckily it doesn't auto restart). Why is...
  7. Is whatsnewapp.exe at c:\windows\systemapps part of Windows 10?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Is whatsnewapp.exe at c:\windows\systemapps part of Windows 10?: Hello, Online searches give me no good information about whatsnewapp.exe, which is at c:\windows\systemapps\. The first search result points to a known malware site (spywareremove dot com). Is this whatsnewapp.exe part of Windows? What function does it perform? I can't...
  8. Windows Crash

Windows Crash: Instant Online Crash Analysis, brought to you by OSR Open Systems Resources, Inc. [IMG]Primary Analysis Crash Dump Analysis provided by OSR Open Systems Resources, Inc. (http://www.osr.com) Online Crash Dump Analysis Service See http://www.osronline.com for more information...
  9. Windows Features Problem: .Net Framework 2.0 and higher

Windows Features Problem: .Net Framework 2.0 and higher: I just got a new laptop and I need to install several programs. However when I go to install them the installer pauses on the installation of .NET Framework 2.0, 3.0 and 4.0. It will give me a separate window saying that the program needs access to a specific feature but wont...
  10. Windows 10 - Update Done and Touchscreen Driver Apparently gone

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 - Update Done and Touchscreen Driver Apparently gone: I updated my computer, and was on the phone for 45 minutes with a rep while we reset my entire system. I went into the Device Manager and looked under Human Interface Devices, and apparently my touchscreen driver is missing. Where can I download the touchscreen driver...