Windows 10: Windows button works but won't open start menu

Discus and support Windows button works but won't open start menu in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Recently my windows key has stopped working. I know for a fact it is not disabled or broken as I can press the windows button and it closes the start... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by MatthewMcCarthy6, Dec 24, 2021.

1. Windows button works but won't open start menu

Recently my windows key has stopped working. I know for a fact it is not disabled or broken as I can press the windows button and it closes the start menu but it just won't open the start menu. Also whenever I hit the windows key it makes the blue circle spin on my cursor. I have tried restarting windows explorer, my pc, and a couple of commands and it hasn't worked yet. Does anyone know how to fix this?

:)

MatthewMcCarthy6, Dec 24, 2021

2. Win10 start menu won`t open (SOLUTION)

To all people that suffer from same problems as I did:

-Win 10`s start menu won`t open after restart

-Win 10`s menu stops working after few days if your pc has been idle or just on.

-Win 10`s menu works after AC power down

-Win 10`s menu won`t work after restart unless you log out and relog through CTRL+ALT+DEL

It took me 7 hours to find cause of this problem, lots program reinstallations and browsing through internet.

Even Microsoft support didn`t provide the right answer for this problem, they just give you commands and advices to create new accounts, cleanup this, reinstall that, clean boot this, normal boot that. But what they don`t say is that all those problems are
    caused by their so called "feature" that released with their "Fall Creators Update". A feature that saves some data into the memory, so after restart it start`s to open all your chrome windows and other programs.

CAUSE:

Your windows might get some conflicts with some programms during the session, before the update if you shutdown/restart your pc, windows where just dumping all the data out of the window, after the update it started to save it to the memory (including all the
    conflicted data). THANK YOU MICROSOFT!

SOLUTION:

Go to your Search icon on the taskbar, type > Settings > Accounts > Sing-In options > Under "Privacy" uncheck/disable "Use my sing-in info to automatically setting up my device after an update or restart" > Restart

Hope it helps folks!

3DArtist

And ofcourse:

Microsoft, you`ve already forced us into updates with Win10.

Will you now please stop screwing up windows even more with your pointless system breaking features!

Stop reinventing the wheel.

3DArtist_007, Dec 24, 2021
  3. Start menu not working

I found the following article, ran the suggested powershell command and my start menu is working again. Here it is as I found it:
    Go to Start menu button and right click on it. This will open the contextual menu, after which you need to select Command Prompt (Admin). Once Command Prompt is open, go ahead with the following steps.

• Type and enter: Powershell
    • Type the following: Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register “$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml”}

Don Donadio, Dec 24, 2021
  4. Whatphoeb Win User

Windows button works but won't open start menu

Start menu button not working

Open Windows PowerShell as Administrator
    Right click Start button
    Choose Command prompt (Admin)
    Key in Powershell in the black window and hit Enter
    Paste the following command in the Administrator: Windows PowerShell window and press Enter key:
    Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}
    Wait for PowerShell to execute and complete the command. Ignore the few errors (in red color) that may pop up.
    When it finishes, try hitting Start and hopefully it’ll start working. If not, this solution won’t apply to you, unfortunately.

Whatphoeb, Dec 24, 2021
Thema:

Windows button works but won't open start menu

1. Windows button works but won't open start menu - Similar Threads - button works won't

2. Start Menu won't open

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start Menu won't open: As the title suggests, the Start Menu won't open for me. That's not the only problem. The taskbar has been faulty and it's been two days.Here are some things I can still do with it:- Open programs that are pinned in the task bar.- Open Task View- Show hidden icons- Change...
  3. Start Menu won't open

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start Menu won't open: As the title suggests, the Start Menu won't open for me. That's not the only problem. The taskbar has been faulty and it's been two days.Here are some things I can still do with it:- Open programs that are pinned in the task bar.- Open Task View- Show hidden icons- Change...
  4. Windows button works but won't open start menu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows button works but won't open start menu: Recently my windows key has stopped working. I know for a fact it is not disabled or broken as I can press the windows button and it closes the start menu but it just won't open the start menu. Also whenever I hit the windows key it makes the blue circle spin on my cursor. I...
  5. Windows button works but won't open start menu

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows button works but won't open start menu: Recently my windows key has stopped working. I know for a fact it is not disabled or broken as I can press the windows button and it closes the start menu but it just won't open the start menu. Also whenever I hit the windows key it makes the blue circle spin on my cursor. I...
  6. Start menu won't open

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start menu won't open: I tried everything including: sfc /scannow DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth and some more but, sfc gives me an error: Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation. and DISM gives me...
  7. Windows Start Menu Button Not Working

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Start Menu Button Not Working: Hello, I updated my computer last night and now the start menu/taskbar is not working. I have tried a couple of things that have been suggested with no luck. The windows button on my computer also does not open the start menu which makes it hard to do certain fixes suggested....
  8. Start Button on my keyboard won't trigger to open start menu

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Start Button on my keyboard won't trigger to open start menu: Title says it all, but why? Last time I was using Windows 7 it was still working fine. Now I noticed it stopped working when I upgraded to Windows 10. I'm not bothered by this but I'm just asking if this is normal? 61212
  9. Start menu button not working

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu button not working: Hello guys , i am runing windows 10 PRO x64, from time to time , i can't find a pattern , the start menu button decides not to work at all, i click it , nothing happens , i hit windows key on my keyboard , nothing happens. The solution is windows explorer process restart. Can...
  10. Windows Start Button/Start menu not working

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows Start Button/Start menu not working: When I click on the Windows icon in the bottom left hand corner of the screen nothing happens. I've re-booted, restored and via Powershell I've tried the 'Get - Appx package etc' that has been suggested in a number of places on the Web. None of that has worked. I've...