Windows 10: Windows Calculator stopped working after application update through Windows Store

Discus and support Windows Calculator stopped working after application update through Windows Store in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I've had issues with a computer where Calculator crashes as soon as it opens. I've had this issue with one computer where I was able to resolve the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by ShaunTowers, Feb 27, 2019.

1. Windows Calculator stopped working after application update through Windows Store

I've had issues with a computer where Calculator crashes as soon as it opens. I've had this issue with one computer where I was able to resolve the issue by reinstalling all the Windows 10 default apps using powershell. This computer was not corrected using the same method.

This is on Windows 10 build1803.

Event Viewer shows critical error:

0x3D55: Package family Microsoft.WindowsCalculator_8wekyb3d8bbwe runtime information is corrupted. Attempting to correct the issue.

Opening the application error it provides:

Faulting application name: Calculator.exe, version: 10.1812.1901.4008, time stamp: 0x5c304989
    Faulting module name: Windows.UI.Xaml.dll, version: 10.0.17134.376, time stamp: 0x35659a8d
    Exception code: 0xc000027b
    Fault offset: 0x00000000006a56b2
    Faulting process id: 0x2470
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d4ceb9b5dba920

I have reset the app through Settings > Apps > Calculator > Advanced Options > Reset

I have reset the Windows Store using the WSreset.exe
    The application opens just fine on other local and domain profiles (even new profiles built).

I have deleted and rebuilt the user profile where the issue occurs, and the issue persists.
    I have tried all the previous corrections with reboots after each, I have ran the Microsoft Store Apps Troubleshooter.
    I have even tried manually replacing the Microsoft.WindowsCalculator_8wekyb3d8bbwe folder in the user's profile at the C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Packages\ location (obviously with <username> replaced by the actual user profile name).

I have become extremely frustrated by the issue, but will end the post here to avoid getting nasty about the plethora of issues that Microsoft seems to cause with "updates" to their systems and applications.

:)

ShaunTowers, Feb 27, 2019

2. calculator stopped working in windows 10

I figured out a solution that works even when deregistering (i.e. uninstalling) and reinstalling the App does not work. The problem is that deregistering the app does not remove the files, and so when reinstalling the app (whether from PowerShell or the Windows Store) the broken files are not necessarily replaced. Here are the steps I used:
    1. Enable the Administrator Account (enter 'net user Administrator /active:yes' in PowerShell/Command Prompt)
    2. Switch to the Administrator user account
    3. Go to C:\Program Files
    4. Find WindowsApps (the Windows 10 apps folder), then go to Properties and grant full access to your user account
    5. Switch back to your user account
    6. Go to C:\Program Files\WindowsApps
    7. Look for every folder that says WindowsCalculator. For each of these folders, you need to go to properties and change the ownership from SYSTEM to your user account. Then grant full access to your user account. Then you can delete the folder.
    8. When all folders are deleted, reinstall Calculator from the Windows Store. It should now work. (You should notice that this time when you download from the Store that the download is bigger.)
    9. Disable the Administrator Account (enter 'net user Administrator /active:no')
    I hope that helps.

kingbeandip, Feb 27, 2019
  3. Kreij Win User
    Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008 Application Compatibility Update

Would have been nice if they indicated which applications were actually improved as opposed to just hard or soft blocked.

Kreij, Feb 27, 2019
  4. Mohan B P Win User

Windows Calculator stopped working after application update through Windows Store

Windows store apps not working.

Hi,

I realize that you are facing the issue with Windows store applications. Let me assist you.

This issue might happen if some of the Windows Store files are corrupted.

To assist you better, write back to us with the following information.

• Are you getting any error messages or error code when trying to open the store/applications that you have mentioned?

• Which Windows 10 build is installed on the system?

• Have you updated Windows to the latest build?

For work around, I suggest you to open the calculator using command and check if it is working.

• Press Windows key + R key, type
      calc and press Enter key.
    I suggest you to follow the steps below and run the Windows Store Apps troubleshooter and check if it helps.

• Type Troubleshooting in the search bar and select
      Troubleshooting.

• Click on View All, in the left view pane.

• Find and click on Windows Store Apps.

If the issue is unresolved, I suggest you to install any pending updates that are available on your system and check.

• Go to Settings > Update & Security >
      Windows Update > Check for Updates.
    If you have any pending updates remaining to install, kindly install them and check if it helps.

Hope the information helps. Kindly write back to us with the updated status of the issue for further assistance on Windows. We will be glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Mohan B P, Feb 27, 2019
Thema:

Windows Calculator stopped working after application update through Windows Store

1. Windows Calculator stopped working after application update through Windows Store - Similar Threads - Calculator stopped working

2. Windows Update not working, and lost my Windows Store, and Calculator apps.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Update not working, and lost my Windows Store, and Calculator apps.: Community,I have a workstation about 1 month old and all of a sudden the user cannot access Calculator anymore. I Googled it and researched that we just need to go to the Windows Store and reinstall Calculator. Attempted to run Windows Store and it no longer works. Read...
  3. Windows Update not working, and lost my Windows Store, and Calculator apps.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Update not working, and lost my Windows Store, and Calculator apps.: Community,I have a workstation about 1 month old and all of a sudden the user cannot access Calculator anymore. I Googled it and researched that we just need to go to the Windows Store and reinstall Calculator. Attempted to run Windows Store and it no longer works. Read...
  4. Windows Update not working, and lost my Windows Store, and Calculator apps.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Calculator applications doesn't work...

in Windows 10 Customization
    Calculator applications doesn't work...: Why does calculator,calander ..doesn't open in windows 10 operating system https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/calculator-applications-doesnt-work/e593400e-5277-4c4c-8593-e246d74e3592
  6. Windows Store, Calculator missing after Windows Reset

Windows Store, Calculator missing after Windows Reset: Hi. So I installed some optional updates to Windows 10 and it crashed my computer. I got stuck in BSOD loop even before the login screen, and Safe Mode wasn't helpful either, so had to reset the windows while keeping my data, but losing all user apps. Once it restored and I...
  7. The calculator stopped working.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    The calculator stopped working.: Since the last update, the calculator does not open correctly. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/the-calculator-stopped-working/cdae88de-0f45-4ab8-9a5a-ce08c44b5e06
  8. Calculator stopped working.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Calculator stopped working.: Since the last update, calculator does not pull up properly. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/calculator-stopped-working/49613736-632f-42a5-844b-97048ed40ea7
  9. Windows Store and Calculator does not work after new profile.

Windows Store and Calculator does not work after new profile.: Hello, On Windows 10 1809, a new domain profile causes calculater and microsoft store to not work. Windows Calculator instantly closes after you open it, and MS Store wont let me sign in. Things I've tried: - Reset both apps - Reset Windows - Register all apps with...
  10. Applications stop working after Windows 10 update

Applications stop working after Windows 10 update: Why does Preton InkSaver stop working sometimes after a Windows 10 update? This is such a useful application and I have to go through the performance of releasing my code, deleting the application and then reloading it and reapplying my code as this is an application I have...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. faulting application name: calculator.exe version: 10.1812.1901.4008 time stamp: 0x5c304989

2. kernelbase.dll crash calculator.exe

3. calculator windows.ui.xaml.dll

4. windows 10 calculator ui.xaml.dll,
  5. Faulting application name: Calculator.exe version: 10.1811.1811.20001 time stamp: 0x5bf46cdf,
  6. faulting application name: calculator.exe version: 10.1812.1901.4008 time stamp: 0x5c304989faulting module name: windows.ui.xaml.dll