Windows 10: windows cannot access path error

Discus and support windows cannot access path error in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I have given full control to the folder and its contents but local exe files still bring the error... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by The tea, Feb 2, 2020.

1. The tea Win User

windows cannot access path error

I have given full control to the folder and its contents but local exe files still bring the error

:)

The tea, Feb 2, 2020
  2. Nikhar_K Win User

'Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item.' Error.

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you receive an error, ‘'Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item’ when trying to access one particular file. I’ll certainly assist you with the issue.

However, please let us know:

• Are you trying to access the shortcut of the file?
    • Which anti-virus are you using on the computer?

I would suggest you try running the application as an administrator and see if that helps. To do this, right click on the file and select
    Run as administrator.

You may also want to refer the troubleshooting steps mentioned in the article
    "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or
    file" error when you try to install, update or start a program or file

Note: The above mentioned article is for Windows 7, however, holds good for Windows 10.

Alternatively, you can also try enabling hidden admin account and check if you are able to access the file in hidden admin account.

Refer the steps mentioned below:

1. Type command prompt in the search bar on the
      Taskbar.
    2. Right click on the command prompt icon and select
      Run as administrator.
    3. Type in the following commands one by one and hit
      Enter
      :

net user administrator /active:yes
    4. After enabling the hidden admin, try accessing the file.

Note: Make sure to disable hidden admin by using the command
    net user administrator /active:no after performing the troubleshooting steps.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Feb 2, 2020
  3. Cannot access path, no permission

Hello cgherman, my name is Irisdiel and I am an independent advisor.

I suggest you follow the instructions down below and visit the link I have provided for you to follow more solutions in case method 1 doesn't help.

The causes of your problem may be:

-You do not have permissions to the file or the file location.

-The file is on a location that is not currently accessible like a network location or an external drive that is not currently connected to the PC.

-The file has been moved or deleted.

-The file or shortcut is corrupt.

-The file may be blocked by Windows.

-Your antivirus software may be blocking the file.

Method 1: Check the permission of the file or folder

-Right-click the file or folder, and then select Properties.

-Select the Security tab.

-Under Group or User names, click your name to see the permissions you have. (The screenshot for this step is listed below).

-Select Edit, and then select to check the check boxes for the permissions that you need, and then select OK. (The screenshot for this step is listed below).

Refer to:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/266924...

Hope this helps!

Thank you and good luck,

Regards- .

Irisdiel H, Feb 2, 2020
  4. windows cannot access path error

windows cannot access the specified device path or file

Hello Basha,

This issue can occur if any of the following scenarios exist on your PC:

• You do not have permissions to the file or the file location.
    • The file is on a location that is not currently accessible like a network location or an external drive that is not currently connected to the PC.
    • The file has been moved or deleted.
    • The file or shortcut is corrupt.
    • The file may be blocked by Windows.
    • Your antivirus software may be blocking the file.

For us to better assist you, we'd like to know the following:

• Confirm which build is currently installed on your device. To check, follow the steps below:
    • Press Windows key + R, then type in winver.
    • Click OK.
    • Are you using any 3rd-party antivirus software?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

Meanwhile, let's troubleshoot the issue by performing the steps below:

Method 1: Check the permission of the file or folder

Permissions are rules associated with files that determine if you can access the file and what you can do with it. To check the permission of the file or folder, follow these steps:

• Right-click the file or folder, and then select Properties.
    • Select the Security tab.
    • Under Group or User names, click your name to see the permissions you have. (The screen shot for this step is listed below).
    • Select Edit, and then select to check the check boxes for the permissions that you need, and then select OK. (The screen shot for this step is listed below).

Method 2: Check the file location

You might get this error if the shortcut or installation is attempting to access a location that is not currently available such as a networked or a removable drive. Check the path of the file that Windows cannot access and make sure that the location is
    accessible. (The screen shot for this step is listed below).

windows cannot access path error a7248d5a-f744-4993-b865-f9890a7f41dc.png

Method 3: Recreate the shortcut to check for corruption

You can also receive this error if the shortcut or other file type has become corrupt. You can check for corruption in shortcuts by recreating the shortcut. To do this, see

Create or delete a shortcut.

If an application or other type of file is corrupt it may be necessary to repair the application to resolve the issue.

We look forward to your response.

Regards.

Melchizedek Qui, Feb 2, 2020
Thema:

windows cannot access path error

1. windows cannot access path error - Similar Threads - cannot access path

2. Windows cannot access the specified device path

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows cannot access the specified device path: "C:\Program Files\AMD\Cnext\Cnext\ANDRSSERV.exe" cant be accessed it comes up whenever I try to launch a game Im still able to play it but its a popup. I tried to give it access but its not working and since the pc is brand new and I dont have anything on it I tried a factory...
  3. Windows cannot access the specified device path

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows cannot access the specified device path: "C:\Program Files\AMD\Cnext\Cnext\ANDRSSERV.exe" cant be accessed it comes up whenever I try to launch a game Im still able to play it but its a popup. I tried to give it access but its not working and since the pc is brand new and I dont have anything on it I tried a factory...
  4. Windows cannot access the specified device path

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Windows 10 cannot access specified path...

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 cannot access specified path...: Hello everybody, Recently I have remover some malware from my PC via Malwarebytes and AVG. I also removed a user that I didn't need and deleted the folder. Now my PC doesn't let me open some apps, a lot of apps actually. First when i click them it loads for like 3 minutes and...
  6. Windows cannot access \\serverName\\share path

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows cannot access \\serverName\\share path: For some time now for about 3 years, users report an error message “Windows cannot access \\file share path” The work around that has always worked until today, is to have the user reboot, and then they could access the share with no problems. Today I have a case, where...
  7. cannot access the specified device path or file error

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    cannot access the specified device path or file error: I received an error message saying that cannot access the specified device path or file you may not have appropriate permissions https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-access-the-specified-device-path-or-file/62ce3030-850f-4021-bd37-068d2b89a180
  8. Windows cannot access the specified device path

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows cannot access the specified device path: so i have had this problem it said this windows cannot access the specified device path or file you may not have appropriate permissions and when i try to figer it out i dont have account roll of the adminster and i dont know what do plz help me it wold help a lot ps hi...
  9. Cannot access path, no permission

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot access path, no permission: Using xplorer2, I cannot open an external viewer for any file type. I get the error message that widows cannot access the specified path for xplorer2 does not have permission. All other browser programs can open an external program to view any file type, so there seems no...
  10. windows cannot access the specified path

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    windows cannot access the specified path: I downloaded itunes on my windows 10 but when i try to open it says windows cannot access the specified device path and it only happens to apps downloaded from app store not to the apps downloaded from other weebsites. kindly provide me the possible solution for this i need...