Windows 10: windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. you may not have appropiate...

Discus and support windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. you may not have appropiate... in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. you may not have appropiate permissions to access the item. I have try every thing to fix... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Tristan Yager, Feb 22, 2024.

1. windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. you may not have appropiate...

windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. you may not have appropiate permissions to access the item. I have try every thing to fix this problem but nothing is working

:)

Tristan Yager, Feb 22, 2024

2. windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. you may not have appropiate permissions to access the item

windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. you may not have appropiate permissions to access the item. I have try every thing to fix this problem but nothing is working

Tristan Yager, Feb 23, 2024
  3. Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You, may not have the appropiate permissions for the item.

Hi

I bought external USB HDD and copied there a lot of files. Device formatted with NTFS.

Then I try to execute ANY .exe file there I got error message:

"Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You, may not have the appropiate permissions for the item"

All files can be executed it I copy them on local drive.

Also I can open videos and images without any issues.

My user is a Local Admin, no domains or other network integrations.

IuriiLuzan, Feb 23, 2024
  4. par_0511 Win User

windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. you may not have appropiate...

Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You, may not have the appropiate permissions for the item.

Good day! I am Independent Advisor Paul R. and also a Microsoft/Windows user like you and I am glad to be able to provide assistance to you today. I understand that you are experiencing an error when you are accessing a .exe file and you can check the
    steps below to see if it helps out on your issue.

Method 1: Disable the Antivirus Software Temporarily

The issue Windows cannot access the specified file may be caused by the antivirus program. Therefore, in order to solve the problem, you can temporarily disable it. You can follow the steps below to disable your antivirus program.

Step 1: Press Windows key and R key together to open Run dialog and type msconfig in the box, then click OK or hit Enter to continue.

Step 2: In the System Configuration window, go to the Start up tab and click Open Task Manager to continue.

Step 3: In the popup window, find the antivirus program and choose it. Then click Disable button at the right bottom to continue.

Now, you can open the program or the file again to check whether the issue Windows cannot access the specified path Windows 10 is solved.

Method 2: Check Permissions of the File or Folder

Step 1: Select the file you want to open and right-click it. Then choose Properties from the context menu.

Step 2: Go to the Security tab and choose your name under Group or user name and click Edit to continue.

Step 3: Then under Permissions for SYSTEM in the popup window, you can check the permissions you want to have in Allow column. After that, please check whether the issue Windows cannot access the specified path is solved.

Method 3: Unblock the File

Windows cannot access the specified device path or file may occur if the file is blocked by Windows. To fix this problem, you can try to unblock the file. You can look at the specific steps of operations below.

Step 1: Right-click the file which has the problem Windows cannot access the specified path and choose Properties to continue.

Step 2: In the popup window, go to the General tab. Then you will see a message The file came from another computer and might be blocked to help to protect the computer if the file is blocked by Windows. Thus, you can check Unblock and click OK to continue.

Now, you can check whether the issue Windows cannot access the specified path Windows 10 is solved.

Method 4: Check the Location of File

If you are trying to access a file via a shortcut which is on an external hard drive or a network location that it is no longer connected to your computer, Windows might not be able to access the specified device path or file. Thus, you can check the location
    of the target file and see if the file is in an inaccessible location based on following instructions.

Step 1: Right-click the shortcut of the file on your computer and choose Properties from the context menu.

Step 2: Under the Shortcut tab in the popup window, check the path in Target is available or not.

Regards,

Paul R.

par_0511, Feb 23, 2024
Thema:

windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. you may not have appropiate...

1. windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. you may not have appropiate... - Similar Threads - cannot access specified

2. "windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. you may not have the...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. you may not have the...: game gets stuck as soon as i click play on the client with the message "windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. you may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item"things we tried so far:redownloading the game and the clientnew shortcutsgoing...
  3. "windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. you may not have the...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. you may not have the...: game gets stuck as soon as i click play on the client with the message "windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. you may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item"things we tried so far:redownloading the game and the clientnew shortcutsgoing...
  4. windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. you may not have appropiate...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. you may not have appropiate...: windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. you may not have appropiate permissions to access the item. I have try every thing to fix this problem but nothing is working...
  5. Windows cannot access the specified device path or file, you may not have the appropriate...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows cannot access the specified device path or file, you may not have the appropriate...: Windows cannot access the specified device path or file, you may not have the appropriate permissions to access them.The path is c:\program files\ windosapp\ microsoftwindowsnotepad.........
  6. Explorer.exe - Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have...

Explorer.exe - Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have...: Explorer.exe - Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item.My windows explorer, user icons, Microsoft Store , start button, settings nothing is opening and showing this error. Please help I can...
  7. Explorer.exe - Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Explorer.exe - Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have...: Explorer.exe - Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item.My windows explorer, user icons, Microsoft Store , start button, settings nothing is opening and showing this error. Please help I can...
  8. "Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate...

"Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate...: I've done some research on this issue and I've literally found nothing that shows this exact problem. Everyone program that has a button that would normally open my browser to some kind of link, doesn't open. SOMETIMES, after showing me the error and pressing "ok", opens...
  9. Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You, may not have the appropiate...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You, may not have the appropiate...: Hi I bought external USB HDD and copied there a lot of files. Device formatted with NTFS. Then I try to execute ANY .exe file there I got error message: "Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You, may not have the appropiate permissions for the item"...
  10. "Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file . You may not have the...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    "Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file . You may not have the...: Hello I have been receiving below error when I try to open a file on an external SSD . "Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file . You may not have the appropriate permissions to access them"' I am accessing this file with my own-admin account with which...