Windows 10: Windows cannot activate after motherboard change

Discus and support Windows cannot activate after motherboard change in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Split from this thread. hi i am having the revers problem, i got my pc back from the shop with a new motherboard, and my windows wouldent... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Tersseb, Nov 22, 2018.

1. Tersseb Win User

Windows cannot activate after motherboard change

Split from this thread.​

hi i am having the revers problem, i got my pc back from the shop with a new motherboard, and my windows wouldent activate, it was a didgital upgtade from win 8 years ago, but now it says its win 10 pro, i bought win home online from windows shop, and installed it, but it still thinks my pc is win 10 pro and that my motherboard is the old one i replaced and wont accept my new win 100 home key, what do i do.

:)

Tersseb, Nov 22, 2018

2. Activate Windows 10 after motherboard change

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

I built the PC myself and it is\was a retail Windows 8 Pro license upgraded to 10.

The guide listed that I should be able to transfer the license, and following the steps given when selecting "I recently changed hardware" in the activation process it does not list my previous device to select from.

My Microsoft account is logged in on both my old and new motherboard, and my old motherboard is unable to boot at all to deactivate or retrieve any keys.

If my license is indeed available for transfer, how can I proceed from here?

Thanks.

Libertherme, Nov 22, 2018
  3. Juzar_Ali Win User
    Windows 10 License (after motherboard change)

Hi Harsh,

Please be informed that your copy of Windows 10 should get activated automatically after changing the motherboard (once you enter the linked Microsoft Account details). But if you face any issues,
    I suggest you to go through Phone activation to activate your Windows 10 copy.

To run Phone activation please follow the steps below:

• Press Windows + R key.

• Type slui 4 and hit enter.

• Select the Country or
      Region.

• Follow the on screen instructions.

Hope this helps. Please respond if you have any further related query.

Thank you.

Juzar_Ali, Nov 22, 2018
  4. Windows cannot activate after motherboard change

windows activation after motherboard changed.

Hi Raed,

To reactivate your Windows 10 after changing your motherboard, we suggest that you check this
    article, and follow the Activation troubleshooter steps/instructions to resolve it.

Another possible resolution, you may refer to this thread, and look for
    Andre Da Costa's post.

We would appreciate it if you could get back to us and provide us your feedback.

If you think this was useful, feel free to "mark it as an answer" to help those who are facing the same problem.

Michael Gall, Nov 22, 2018
Thema:

Windows cannot activate after motherboard change

1. Windows cannot activate after motherboard change - Similar Threads - cannot activate motherboard

2. Cannot activate my Windows after changing my motherboard

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot activate my Windows after changing my motherboard: I'm trying to activate my Windows 11 after I've replaced my motherboard. My previous motherboard is already burned that's why I have to replace it. I don't have a Product key with me because this is originally a Windows 10....
  3. Cannot activate my Windows after changing my motherboard

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot activate my Windows after changing my motherboard: I'm trying to activate my Windows 11 after I've replaced my motherboard. My previous motherboard is already burned that's why I have to replace it. I don't have a Product key with me because this is originally a Windows 10....
  4. Cannot activate Windows 10 after changing motherboard

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Cannot activate Windows 10 after changing motherboard: In late 2018, I bought Windows license at Microsoft Store. This license was not bought with computer.Since that I've been doing sompe upgrades time to time. I bought new CPU, add some RAM. A few days ago I made an upgrade a new motherboard and now I can't activate my copy of...
  5. Cannot activate Windows 10 after changing motherboard

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot activate Windows 10 after changing motherboard: In late 2018, I bought Windows license at Microsoft Store. This license was not bought with computer.Since that I've been doing sompe upgrades time to time. I bought new CPU, add some RAM. A few days ago I made an upgrade a new motherboard and now I can't activate my copy of...
  6. Cannot activate Windows 10 after changing motherboard

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Cannot activate Windows after motherboard change

Cannot activate Windows after motherboard change: Dear Community, The motherboard of my Lenovo laptop was just changed due to hardware failure. Now I am getting "Activate Windows" message on my desktop. I have an active Windows 10 Business subscription but I am not able to active Windows. Running the troubleshoot...
  8. Cannot activate Windows 10 Professional after change of motherboard

Cannot activate Windows 10 Professional after change of motherboard: Cannot activate Windows 10 Professional after change of motherboard and hardware. Cannot find my existing device in 'Troubleshooting'. I have erroneously deleted my old machine which was linked to the Microsoft account. Could anyone please help?...
  9. Activation after motherboard change.

Activation after motherboard change.: I have three computers running Windows 10 in the house. I have just replaced the motherboard in my desktop and now it says it needs activation. I have not replaced the hard disks so it is exactly the same version of windows 10 that has run fine since doing a free upgrade from...
  10. Cannot Activate Windows 10 after Motherboard Change

Cannot Activate Windows 10 after Motherboard Change: Hello, I've read extensively before making a thread here. My motherboard went kaput the other day. I re-installed windows on my hard drive after backup. Unable to activate windows. I tried the "troubleshoot" from Settings menu. After clicking on "I recently changed my...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. cannot activate windows after motherboard change