Windows 10: Windows cannot be installed to this disk. This computer's hardware may not support booting...

Discus and support Windows cannot be installed to this disk. This computer's hardware may not support booting... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I had my SSD fail on me and had a new M2-Nand SSD 970 EVO (250gb) installed. When I try an install my new Windows 10 off USB, I get the error message... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by WinchesterIM, Mar 10, 2019.

1. Windows cannot be installed to this disk. This computer's hardware may not support booting...

I had my SSD fail on me and had a new M2-Nand SSD 970 EVO (250gb) installed.

When I try an install my new Windows 10 off USB, I get the error message below:

Windows cannot be installed to this disk. This computer's hardware may not support booting... bada89c4-f0be-40e9-b32b-ee1983000e3f?upload=true.jpg

After searching this forum I've tried alternating boot order from the 3 options shown:

Windows cannot be installed to this disk. This computer's hardware may not support booting... 5d930eef-d9ec-41eb-b082-f7b4bd8eef72?upload=true.jpg

I've also ensured that the SATA Mode is set to AHCI;

Windows cannot be installed to this disk. This computer's hardware may not support booting... 63f4e8e4-2a47-4f32-a47e-8fce5fbfbe5e?upload=true.jpg

I'm not very tech savvy so any feedback is appreciated. Thanks.

:)

WinchesterIM, Mar 10, 2019
  2. Peer_Sam Win User

Windows 10 installation. Error: Windows Cannot Be Installed to This Disk. This Computer's Hardware May not Support Booting to This Disk".

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I suggest to try with the below mentioned steps

If you have more than one hard drive connected to your computer, remove the additional hard drives and keep only the primary one.

If it does not work, back up your data, delete all the existing partitions and let installer create the new partitions.

I also suggest to try with changing the hard drive mode in BIOS.

If it is set to IDE, change it to
    AHCI, if the current mode is AHCI, change it to
    IDE.

Disclaimer: Modifying BIOS/ complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft
    cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the configuring of BIOS/CMOS settings can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk.

If none of these suggestions work, boot the computer to Windows Recovery environment using the installation media.

1. Choose Repair your computer on the initial Windows setup screen.
    2. Go to Troubleshoot->Advanced options->Command prompt and execute the following commands one by one.
    3. Diskpart
    4. List Disk
    5. Select disk disk 0 (Note: remove all additional disks).
    6. Create partition primary.
    7. Exit.
    Reboot the computer and see if you can proceed with installation.

If you still get the same error, delete the partition, select the unallocated partition and click
    Next to proceed with installation.

Hope it helps.

Peer Samie

Microsoft Community-Moderator

Peer_Sam, Mar 10, 2019
  3. Windows cannot be installed to this disk. This computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure the disk's controller is enabled in the computer's bios menu.

Hi Matthew,

There are several possible reasons as to why your computer is not detecting an SSD drive. This could be caused by incorrect BIOS settings or device drivers that need to be updated. Since you already tried the suggestion of Andre Da Costa and this allowed
    your computer to detect the SSD already, we would like to further clarify your concern by asking the questions below:

• If you were already able to install Windows on the SSD, have you already attempted to change the boot order in the BIOS menu?
    • Which version of Windows did you install on the SSD?
    • What other troubleshooting steps have you attempted?

We look forward to your response to our queries.

Jordan Dom, Mar 10, 2019
  4. imgauravj Win User

Windows cannot be installed to this disk. This computer's hardware may not support booting...

windows can not be installed on this disk. This computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure that the disk controller is enabled in the computer's BIOS menu

I am getting this error while installing windows 10 from usb drive. I m on this menu where it asks - where do you want to install windows?... im getting this error while selecting Drive 0 unallocated
    space.Error--" windows can not be installed on this disk. This computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure that the disk controller is enabled in the computer's BIOS menu" please help .

imgauravj, Mar 10, 2019
Thema:

Windows cannot be installed to this disk. This computer's hardware may not support booting...

1. Windows cannot be installed to this disk. This computer's hardware may not support booting... - Similar Threads - cannot installed disk

2. Windows cannot be installed to this disk. This computer's hardware may not support booting...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows cannot be installed to this disk. This computer's hardware may not support booting...: i want to install windows 10 on my laptop lenovo ideapad 100s and i can't when it redirects me to the disk and partition selection window it writes at the bottom "Windows cannot be installed to this disk. This computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure...
  3. Windows cannot be installed to this disk. This computer's hardware may not support booting...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows cannot be installed to this disk. This computer's hardware may not support booting...: i want to install windows 10 on my laptop lenovo ideapad 100s and i can't when it redirects me to the disk and partition selection window it writes at the bottom "Windows cannot be installed to this disk. This computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure...
  4. Windows cannot be installed to this disk. This computer's hardware may not support booting...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows cannot be installed to this disk. This computer's hardware may not support booting...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows cannot be installed to this disk. This computer's hardware may not support booting...: Hi I keep getting this message everytime I try to install windows on my old laptop that previously had windows 7 on. I formatted the SSD but keeping getting This msg. “Windows cannot be installed to this disk. This computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk....
  6. Windows cannot be installed to this disk. This computer's hardware may not support booting...

Windows cannot be installed to this disk. This computer's hardware may not support booting...: Hi I keep getting this message everytime I try to install windows on my old laptop that previously had windows 7 on. I formatted the SSD but keeping getting This msg. “Windows cannot be installed to this disk. This computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk....
  7. Windows cannot be installed to this disk. This computer's hardware may not support booting...

in Windows 10 Gaming
  8. "Windows cannot be installed to this disk. This computer's hardware may not support booting...

"Windows cannot be installed to this disk. This computer's hardware may not support booting...: I'm facing with "Windows cannot be installed to this disk. This computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure that the disk's controller is enabled in the computer's BIOS menu." error in windows installation ....
  9. "Windows cannot be installed to this disk.The computer s hardware may not support booting"

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    "Windows cannot be installed to this disk.The computer s hardware may not support booting": I recently bought a new HDD, as my previous one was failing. beforehand i set up a USB which contains the necessary software to install windows (i have tested it, its not the problem), but cannot seem to be able to install it onto my new hard drive. An error message occurs...
  10. Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The disk may fail

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The disk may fail: So I bought a new WD Black 6TB disk and I decided to reinstall my windows 10 (using a recovery disk) on the new hard drive. However, I tried to do it and the title error came up. I have tried many fixed including formatting the drive, using diskpart e.t.c. I need urgent help....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows cannot be installed to this disk this computers hardware

2. ensure that the disks controller is enabled in the computers bios menu

3. windows cannot be installed to this disk. this computers hardware may not support vaio booting to this d

4. Windows Cannot Be Installed to This Disk. This Computers Hardware May not Support Booting to This Disk.,
  5. windows cannot be installed to this disk. this computers hardware may not support booting to ,
  6. Dell Error : windows cannot be installed on this disk. This computers hardware may not support booting to the disk. Ensure that the disks controller is enabled in the computer;s BIOS menu,
  7. windows 10 cannot be installed to this disk. The computers hardware may not support booting to this disk,
  8. windows cannot be installed to this disk. this computers hardware may not support booting ti this disk. ensure that the disks controller is enabled in the computers bios menu,
  9. windows cannot be installed to this disk this computers hardware ssd