Windows 10: windows cannot be installed to this disk. windows must be installed to a partition...

Discus and support windows cannot be installed to this disk. windows must be installed to a partition... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have a Dell laptop that came with Windows 10 pre-installed. I was tryinng to install Ubuntu on it and while doing so, my hard disk got formatted and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Kumar_771, Nov 22, 2020.

1. Kumar_771 Win User

windows cannot be installed to this disk. windows must be installed to a partition...

I have a Dell laptop that came with Windows 10 pre-installed. I was tryinng to install Ubuntu on it and while doing so, my hard disk got formatted and Ubuntu also could not get installed. Now I am unable to start my laptop. I keep getting a black screen with a cursor blinking.

I created a bootable flash drive and tried to re-install Windows but now I am getting the following error:

windows cannot be installed to this disk. windows must be installed to a partition formatted as ntfs.

windows cannot be installed to this hard disk space. the partition is of an unrecognized type.

Need help in re-installing Windows.windows cannot be installed to this disk. windows must be installed to a partition... [​IMG]

windows cannot be installed to this disk. windows must be installed to a partition... [​IMG]

:)

Kumar_771, Nov 22, 2020

2. Installing Windows Vista/7 on a GUID Partition Table

Background

GUID Partition Table (GPT) is a boot sector technology poised to replace the venerable Master Boot Record (MBR) principally because MBR has a maximum capacity of 2 TB for a single partition (some single disks have reached 3 TB). Installing Windows on a GPT is a bit tricky because Windows wants to default back to MBR. In order to force Windows on to a GPT, we have to pre-format the drive prior to Windows installation. You can do that during Windows setup using the console.

Requirements

• Windows Vista or 7 (must be 64-bit no matter which OS is used)
    • A motherboard with EFI BIOS
    • A means to EFI boot the Windows setup (I had to use a USB DVD drive on MSI Z77A-G65, the internal SATA Bluray drives didn't have an EFI option)
    Instructions

• Boot into Windows setup using EFI. On the MSI Z77A-G65, it showed up as UEFI:USB-ATAPI DVD ... This will change according to your motherboard and how you are attempting to enter setup. This step is critical. Without booting into setup via EFI, only MBR is available to the setup. There's no easy way to tell from within setup if it is running via EFI or not.
    • Once you have booted into setup, continue through the process as you would normally until you reach the dialog which shows you the available drives. Load a driver, if necessary, then press SHIFT+F10 to open the command prompt.
    • In the command prompt, enter the following lines, pressing enter after each one. Note that the <id> field below is the disk ID that you want to format as GPT from the "list disk" command. If there's only one drive, <id> will likely be 1. Note: All data on the drive will be lost during this process. Make sure to select the correct drive.
      • diskpart
      • list disk
      • select disk <id>
      • online disk
      • attributes disk clear readonly
      • clean
      • convert gpt
      • create partition efi size=102
      • create partition msr size=32
      • create partition primary
      • format fs=ntfs label="Operating System"
      • assign letter=C
      • exit
      "online disk" and "attributes disk clear readonly" are likely to fail. Don't worry, they are only precautionary. Change the drive letter and label to whatever you want. Also, the above command (specifically "create partition primary") will consume all remaining space on the drive. If you want multiple partitions with fixed sizes, substitute what you want in place of "create partition primary."
    • You may now close the command prompt and click on "Refresh" back in the dialog to choose where to install Windows. You should now see at least 2 partitions (I think Microsoft Reserved is hidden) and it will only let you install on a non EFI/MSR partition. Click on the primary partition and proceed with the installation as normal.
    • Note that in the EFI BIOS after installing Windows via EFI, you can no longer directly boot the volume Windows is installed on. Instead, you must boot via "Windows Boot Manager" (on MSI Z77A-G65, it was "UEFI: Windows Boot Manager"). Keep that in mind if you wish to tweak the boot order.
    Conclusion

That should do it. You should be in Windows with >2 TB of hard drive capacity available if you had more than 2 TB on the Windows partition. Congratulations being on the bleeding edge of technology! *Rockout :rockout:

FordGT90Concept, Nov 22, 2020
  3. Installing Windows Vista/7 on a GUID Partition Table

I've never tried multiple partitions so this is a shot in the dark...

At step #10, I would try setting the size parameter (it is in mebibytes) to how large you want the partition windows is installed on to be, then go ahead and install windows. This will leave the rest of the drive raw instead of consuming it into the OS partition (C drive). Once you successfully boot into Windows, you should be able to use Computer Management -> Disk Management to create partitions in the raw space.

If you really wanted to do it with diskpart before Windows is installed, you basically repeat the following lines making sure to specify a size if you don't want it to consume all remaining space:
    • create partition primary size=size in mebibytes here
    • format quick fs=ntfs label="appropriate name here"
    • assign letter=C thru Z here
    Obviously, you can use quick formatting or leave it out for full format. Leave off the size parameter when you reach the final partition that should consume all the remaining space. Also remember that the order you do this in goes from the outside of the disk (where it is fastest) to the inside of the disk (where it is slowest). Because of this, it is recommended to put EFI (e.g. size=300), then MSR (e.g. size=300), then Windows (e.g. size=30000), then Applications (e.g. size=70000), then Storage (e.g. no size parameter).

If I'm right, the above example would look like this:
    • diskpart
    • list disk
    • select disk <id>
    • online disk
    • attributes disk clear readonly
    • clean
    • convert gpt
    • create partition efi size=300
    • create partition msr size=300
    • create partition primary size=30000
    • format fs=ntfs label="Windows"
    • assign letter=C
    • create partition primary size=70000
    • format fs=ntfs label="Applications"
    • assign letter=D
    • create partition primary
    • format fs=ntfs label="Storage"
    • assign letter=E
    • exit

FordGT90Concept, Nov 22, 2020
  4. newtekie1 Win User

windows cannot be installed to this disk. windows must be installed to a partition...

Partition SSD during windows 10 install

Yep. Exactly this.

When you install Windows, and get to the part asking what drive you want to install to. Click the advanced options, select New, and put in the size you want the C partition to be. Leave the rest unallocated and select the new partition you just created to install to. Then once you are in Windows you can create the second partition and format it in disk management.

newtekie1, Nov 22, 2020
Thema:

1. windows cannot be installed to this disk. windows must be installed to a partition... - Similar Threads - cannot installed disk

2. Windows must be installed to a partition formatted as NTFS [Fix]

in Windows 10 News
    Windows must be installed to a partition formatted as NTFS [Fix]: [IMG]If you receive Windows cannot be installed to this disk, Windows must be installed to a partition formatted as NTFS while installing Windows 11/10, then this post will help you. This error means your HDD or SSD is not properly formatted with the required file system...
  3. Windows cannot be installed on this disk

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows cannot be installed on this disk: I created a bootable usb because I cannot access my PC it wont boot up. But the USB only works in a UEFI mode, my disk is using a MBR partition table, but my usb does not want to boot in legacy mode, instead it boots up to something and then switches to either my HDD or UEFI...
  4. "Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk is of the GPT partition style"

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    "Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk is of the GPT partition style": [ATTACH] Hello everyone/anyone willing to help. I'll try to summarize everything as concisely as possible. (It'll be kinda all over the place sorry!) I have 3 storage drives. One 1TB SSD Samsung Evo 860, one Seagate 1TB HDD, and one 256GB M.2 SSD. The SSD I currently have...
  5. Windows Cannot Be Installed To This Disk.

Windows Cannot Be Installed To This Disk.: Im Wanting To Install Windows Vista To My SSD ( With Windows 10 Version 20H2 ) On My Lenovo Ideapad3. When I Try To Install It, It Says This: [img] Any Help? 169922
  6. windows 10 cannot install to this GPT PARTITION DISK

windows 10 cannot install to this GPT PARTITION DISK: WINDOWS 10 cannot install to GPT partition style disk. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-cannot-install-to-this-gpt-partition/3e7db08c-e8fa-4435-a422-83948e1d86a0
  7. Cannot create partition/install windows

Cannot create partition/install windows: Hi, guys, So i have the following problem: I wanted to install windows 10, proceeded with the instalation and cleared all partitions. Then an error happened whenvi tried to create a partition from the unallocated space: 0xac2a7c90 Tried to install windows on the...
  8. windows cannot be installed to this disk. the selected disk is of the GPT partition style

windows cannot be installed to this disk. the selected disk is of the GPT partition style: I want to install win 10 to my ASUS Laptop but when i selected disk or partition, windows cannot be installed to this disk. the selected disk is of the GPT partition style. How to install Win 10 in my Laptop, please and thank you ?...
  9. Windows cannot be installed to this disk.

Windows cannot be installed to this disk.: Hi, I'm having problems installing windows 10, on my new mobo. This is my motherboard: ASUS M5A78L-M LX3 Troubleshooting history: 1) Booting from USB. Got the usual "A Media Driver Your Computer Needs Is Missing"-error, fixed that easily by hitting Cancel, and...
  10. Cannot install Windows to GPT partition

Cannot install Windows to GPT partition: I have Windows 10 Pro installed on a partition of an SSD (one of four partitions; the other three being rather small and, I suppose, created by Windows 10 itself during the previous installation procedure. I attempted to reinstall Windows 10 to this partition but Windows...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. window must be installed to a partition formatted as ntfs

2. windows cannot be installed to this hard disk space ntfs

3. آلارمWindows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk is of the GPT partition style. Windows cannot be installed to this hard disk space. The partition is an EFI system partition (ESP)