Windows 10: Windows cannot complete installation

Discus and support Windows cannot complete installation in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, I've getting this error after completing setup of Windows 10 (education edition) can anyone help? I've tried the mmc and msoobe fixes but... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by jamiet440, Mar 17, 2017.

1. jamiet440 Win User

Windows cannot complete installation

Hi,

I've getting this error after completing setup of Windows 10 (education edition) can anyone help?

I've tried the mmc and msoobe fixes but they are not helping. MMC results in error message Class not registered and msobe does not do anything, just goes to a new line in command prompt and awaits a new command.

Windows has been downloaded using the media creation tool and created a usb flash drive using rufus.

I have turned on boot logging and that tells me that dxgkrnl.sys isn't getting loaded so maybe that is the issue.

I've got a HDD and an SSD and tried installing Windows on both but get the same error. I've also tried creating USB flash drives using two different USBs to no avail.

I've been talking over on Tom's Hardware about this too and tried a different Windows MediaCrationTool.exe but that doesn't seem to have helped either.

Thanks!

:)

jamiet440, Mar 17, 2017

2. Windows 10 cannot complete installation error

We appreciate the screenshots that you've provided. To avoid losing any files, we'd recommend performing a custom installation of Windows instead of resetting your PC. Having said that, we have an article created by
    Andre Da Costa that will guide you with step-by-step procedure on
    how to perform a custom installation of Windows. To check this article, click on this
    link.
    As a reminder, performing a custom installation will restore your Windows operating system to its full functionality. As part of the process, third-party applications will not be functional and re-installation of those application is needed.

Important: When choosing an installation type, select
    Custom. On the Where do you want to install Windows? screen,
    do not format or delete any partitions available. Just select the location where do you want to install Windows.

Once done, you can retrieve any personal files from the Windows.old, browse to
    C:\ Local Disk and open the Windows.old
    folder, then select your user profile.

Don’t hesitate to reach out to us for further assistance needed.

If you think this was useful, you may "Mark it as answer" to help those who are facing the same problem.

Zedrick Del, Mar 17, 2017
  3. Windows 10 cannot complete installation error

Hello Jonathan,

Broken components on the system files can be one of the factors why this issue occurs. Before we proceed with the resolution, we'd like to know some significant information:

• Are you trying to install Windows Update or the operating system itself?
    • On what phase of the installation did you encounter the error?
    • Are you getting any error codes? If yes, a screenshot is highly appreciated.
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far to resolve your concern?

If your trying to update Windows, as an initial troubleshooting step, we’d recommend performing
    Windows Update Troubleshooter to diagnose and repair any broken components that's causing this issue. To download and run this troubleshooter, click on this
    link.

Your reply is most important for us to ensure we assist you accordingly.

Zedrick Del, Mar 17, 2017
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

I would start by removing the video card and try installing with on board graphics only first.

NavyLCDR, Mar 17, 2017
  5. jamiet440 Win User
    OK tried that and still getting the same error message. Shall I remove the ram and try? Ignore that forgot you couldn't boot without it. I've also updated the BIOS to the latest version as well.

jamiet440, Mar 17, 2017
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    You might want to try my method in this thread:
    Trying to do a clean install

Running Windows setup from inside Kyhi's recovery tools sometimes work when other methods won't.

NavyLCDR, Mar 17, 2017
  7. jamiet440 Win User
    I managed to get Windows to boot and I think it was the ISO file I was using and most likely the MediaCreationToolRetail.exe. Here's what I did:
    1. Obtained the MediaCreationTool.exe from here https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/soft...load/windows10 (originally I got the MediaCreationToolRetial.exe from https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/soft...demicwindows10 which is used for Windows Education version which is what I have, this did not work though)
    2. Deleted the old Windows.iso file I had created with the MediaCreationToolRetail.exe
    3. Created a brand new Windows.iso file using MediaCreationTool.exe
    4. Loaded the new ISO file onto my USB stick using Rufus
    5. Selected my language, Windows 10 and "Both" as the architecture
    6. Booted to the USB stick on my new PC
    7. Followed install instructions

I had used the MediaCreationTool.exe (not MediaCreationToolRetail.exe) to download an ISO before but when asked where to save the file I selected the old Windows.iso (created from the MediaCreationToolRetail.exe) and overwrote it. This still gave me the error message which made me think that something may have happened during the overwrite process.

TL;DR Use MediaCreationTool.exe not MediaCreationToolRetail.exe to create a Windows.iso and don't overwrite an old, possibly corrupt ISO file.

Thanks for all your help. I hope others will read this and not spend the hours I have trying to fix it!

jamiet440, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Windows cannot complete installation - Similar Threads - cannot complete installation

2. Windows cannot complete installation in Safe Mode. To continue installing Windows, restart...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows cannot complete installation in Safe Mode. To continue installing Windows, restart...: My computer would not update correctly so I reset it, but when I try to reset it, it stops at 81%, boots into windows but does not let me use my computer. When I tried to launch is safe mode it gave me the response "Windows cannot complete installation in Safe Mode. To...
  3. Windows cannot complete installation in Safe Mode. To continue installing Windows, restart...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows cannot complete installation in Safe Mode. To continue installing Windows, restart...: My computer would not update correctly so I reset it, but when I try to reset it, it stops at 81%, boots into windows but does not let me use my computer. When I tried to launch is safe mode it gave me the response "Windows cannot complete installation in Safe Mode. To...
  4. Windows cannot complete installation in Safe Mode. To continue installing Windows, restart...

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Cannot install Windows on completed build

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot install Windows on completed build: Setup: I just built this machine: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ZQj4mr and am trying to install windows on it. 1 I can login to the BIOS and check that CPU, memory and SSD have all been installed. 2 I created a bootable USB of the Windows 11 iso image. 3 I click Install in...
  6. Cannot install Windows on completed build

Cannot install Windows on completed build: Setup: I just built this machine: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ZQj4mr and am trying to install windows on it. 1 I can login to the BIOS and check that CPU, memory and SSD have all been installed. 2 I created a bootable USB of the Windows 11 iso image. 3 I click Install in...
  7. Cannot Successfully Complete 22H2 Update Install,

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot Successfully Complete 22H2 Update Install,: Hello,So I am having trouble installing the 22H2 update.Whenever making an attempt to install, the following happens:-Installs-Prompts for restart which I allow to proceed-Exits windows and goes to "Updates are underway. x% complete. Please keep your computer on."-Once that...
  8. Cannot Successfully Complete 22H2 Update Install,

Cannot Successfully Complete 22H2 Update Install,: Hello,So I am having trouble installing the 22H2 update.Whenever making an attempt to install, the following happens:-Installs-Prompts for restart which I allow to proceed-Exits windows and goes to "Updates are underway. x% complete. Please keep your computer on."-Once that...
  9. Windows cannot complete updates

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows cannot complete updates: Hello,When my computer needs to download a Windows 10 update, it downloads it all fine. I restart, it then gets ready and shuts off. Computer turns on, launches windows and it updates. Then it goes to 99% and then says "Cannot complete updates, undoing changes" and then the...
  10. Unable to install printer. Cannot complete this function

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Unable to install printer. Cannot complete this function: Hello Everyone. I have an issue regarding my HP Deskjet 2540 Printer. Whenever I install the printer it says the printer was unable to be installed correctly. I then do it USB way, still same thing... I finally then proceed to manually install the printer using Windows, it...