Windows 10: Windows cannot find telnet make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again

Discus and support Windows cannot find telnet make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; System Windows 10 64 bit. Running NMS software 32 bit. Application could not access telnet. Message "Windows cannot find 'telnet' make sure you... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Ursel262, Jan 21, 2021.

1. Ursel262 Win User

Windows cannot find telnet make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again

System Windows 10 64 bit.

Running NMS software 32 bit. Application could not access telnet. Message "Windows cannot find 'telnet' make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again."

SOLUTION -

Windows 10 uses C:/Windows/SysWOW64 folder to operate 32 bit software. The 'telnet' application resides in the C:/Windows/System32 folder.

Copy the telnet app, and paste it in the SysWOW64 Folder and this resolved the issue in this instance.

:)

Ursel262, Jan 21, 2021

2. Telnet Not in Default Apps

Telnet works fine from the commandline. It's enabled in Windows options, and I can run it without issue.

The problem is I can't associate it with the TELNET protocol under default apps. That's because TELNET isn't even an option that I can assign a program to. It's been removed from the list of protocols that can be assigned. Protocols like SCP, FTP, SSH
    are still there, with apps assigned to each. But TELNET, which has always been there, is no longer in the list.

BrianPelletier, Jan 21, 2021
  3. Nikhar_K Win User
    Unable to assign XShell application to URL: Telnet protocol

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We understand that you are unable to associate XShell application to URL: Telnet. You may go ahead and try adding the program using Registry Editor and see if that helps.

Note: Important this section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow
    these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs.

Follow the steps to take backup of registry.

Please follow the steps mentioned below:

1. Press Windows key + R, to open Run dialog box.
    2. Type regedit and click on OK.
    3. Now, navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\telnet\shell\open\command
    4. On the right pane, double click on the (Default) value and change the file location with the location of the program that you want to associate.
    5. Close Registry editor and restart the computer.

If the issue persists, I suggest you to post your query in
    TechNet forums
    , where we have support professionals who are well equipped with the knowledge on Telnet to assist you with the appropriate details.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Jan 21, 2021
  4. Windows cannot find telnet make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again

Windows cannot find '-a'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, then try again.

On every startup I get this error message:

Windows cannot find '-a'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, then try again.

this message also popup whenever I try to run CMD or COMMAND

Farid Shawki, Jan 21, 2021
Thema:

Windows cannot find telnet make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again

1. Windows cannot find telnet make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again - Similar Threads - cannot find telnet

2. Windows cannot find ***.*** make sure you typed the name correctly and then try again

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows cannot find ***.*** make sure you typed the name correctly and then try again: I am getting following message when trying to open certain types of the files. I think currently that is mostly related to images anything that would be default would be opened by Photos app, but in the past there were other types of files as well. Also from time to time I...
  3. Windows cannot find ***.*** make sure you typed the name correctly and then try again

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows cannot find ***.*** make sure you typed the name correctly and then try again: I am getting following message when trying to open certain types of the files. I think currently that is mostly related to images anything that would be default would be opened by Photos app, but in the past there were other types of files as well. Also from time to time I...
  4. windows cannot find make sure you typed the name correctly and then try again

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows cannot find make sure you typed the name correctly and then try again: I opened bat, and the Windows cannot find, make sure that you entered the name correctly, and then try again. I didn't find any guides for Windows 8.1, please help...
  5. windows cannot find make sure you typed the name correctly and then try again

windows cannot find make sure you typed the name correctly and then try again: I opened bat, and the Windows cannot find, make sure that you entered the name correctly, and then try again. I didn't find any guides for Windows 8.1, please help...
  6. Windows cannot find 'test.cmd'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows cannot find 'test.cmd'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again.: When I open .bat or .cmd files through explorer, it throws said error, but launching it from cmd is just fine. I tried almost all guides I found:site 1site 2site 3and none of them worked. I still can open files as administartor and they will work as intended, but not only it...
  7. Windows cannot find ".exe" make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows cannot find ".exe" make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again: This occurs anytime I boot my PC. I've tried to reset, it still occurred and I've lost most of my apps due to the reset.Any ideas?<Moved from CPC>...
  8. Windows cannot find ".exe" make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again

Windows cannot find ".exe" make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again: This occurs anytime I boot my PC. I've tried to reset, it still occurred and I've lost most of my apps due to the reset.Any ideas?<Moved from CPC>...
  9. Windows cannot find *name of the file*. Make sure you type the name correctly, then try again.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows cannot find *name of the file*. Make sure you type the name correctly, then try again.: I downloaded a file sent by my teacher thru fb. But when I go to the download button, then click the open file, there's a tab that says "Windows cannot find *name of the file*. Make sure you type the name correctly, then try again." I don't know what to do, and I can't do my...
  10. Windows cannot find ...... Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again error...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows cannot find ...... Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again error...: When I try to access any of my files on my hard drive I get the following message: Windows cannot find ...... Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again error message...