Windows 10: Windows cannot Format this Drive. Quit anything using this drive

Discus and support Windows cannot Format this Drive. Quit anything using this drive in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; [img] I assume Origin game client is using it. Or another app I used to Compress files that were on it . A folder keeps being created in this SSD... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by OtherWay1982, Nov 20, 2019.

1. Windows cannot Format this Drive. Quit anything using this drive

Windows cannot Format this Drive. Quit anything using this drive [​IMG]

I assume Origin game client is using it. Or another app I used to Compress files that were on it .
    A folder keeps being created in this SSD external drive, from a game folder i previously thought I had deleted.
    Just the folder itself keeps regenerating no matter what I do .

I need to format to put the game in new. But it wont .

:)

OtherWay1982, Nov 20, 2019

2. Format an external Drive.

Hello Roger,

Thank you for posting your concern in Microsoft Community and welcome to the Windows 10 Family.

I would suggest you to follow the below steps to format the drive you are referring to.

• Right Click on Start menu and select Open Computer Management.

• In the left pane, under Storage, click Disk Management.

• Right-click the volume that you want to format, and then click Format.

• To format the volume with the default settings, in the Format dialog box, click
      OK, and then click OK again.
    Note: You cannot format a disk or partition that is currently in use, including the partition that contains Windows.

Hope it helps.

Thank you.

Sayan_Ghosh, Nov 20, 2019
  3. little cat, Nov 20, 2019
  4. Windows cannot Format this Drive. Quit anything using this drive

How to Partiton a Hard Drive in Vista

This is a way to get Vista to see another hard drive that is not associated with the OS. There is some times when your new hdd doesn't seem to want to work well with Vista. But, there is a solution in it.

Open the Computer Management By doing these steps.
    • Click on the Start Button
    • Click on Control Panel
    • Click Administrative Tools
    • Double click on Computer Management
    You are now in the Navigation panel of the Computer Management.
    When in Computer Management, you then have to allow the new drive to be recognized.
    • Double click on Storage
    • Double click on Disk Management
    Now in the middle of your screen there is the layout of the Disk Drives that you have. The drives that are partitioned will show by the drive lettering. The others will just show up as having nothing at all in them. Below that there will be the Disk drives that are installed into the computer. You'll see that the primary one will all ways read as "Disk 0". Then you will have Disk 1 and so on. Under the Disks there will also see your CD-Rom drives.. If there is more then one, it will be labeled the same as Disk drives..

On to the Partitioning of the drive in question.
    • Right Click on the drive
    • Click to format the drive or Enable Volume. There will be a series of windows that open up. This is Vista's formatting. Just go threw the windows, and make sure everything is the way you want it to happen.
    • Once the formatting is done, will take some time depending on the drive size.
    • Right click on the drive
    • Click on Mark the Partition as Active
    After you have done those steps, The drive will be up and running threw Vista.

:Side Notes:
    If you are not the Administer to the Os, then you will have to enable it..
    You may also want to redo the drive lettering of it all. But, I really don't see a reason to do so. If you do, you have to redo drive paths and so forth.. A lot of work on something so small...

Cold Storm, Nov 20, 2019
Thema:

Windows cannot Format this Drive. Quit anything using this drive

1. Windows cannot Format this Drive. Quit anything using this drive - Similar Threads - cannot Format Drive

2. Cannot Format External Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot Format External Hard Drive: Not able to format my external hard drive as it says it is write protected, ok fine then maybe I'll try to remove the read only attributes but no no no, when I remove the read only attributes from both my disk and volume of that hard drive as most would suggest. After...
  3. 'Windows cannot format this drive. Quit any utilities or other programs that are using this...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    'Windows cannot format this drive. Quit any utilities or other programs that are using this...: I have just migrated my windows 10 to my SSD (C drive) so am trying to format my HDD (D drive) that holds my old operating system to use it for storage. When I try to format it, it says (the title). The only application I can see that's open is file explorer, as I need that...
  4. Cannot clean/format spare drive

Cannot clean/format spare drive: Last time I opened up my PC, I installed an old ~600 GB HDD from a previous computer. I recently decided (after a headache involving the BIOS deciding it wanted to boot to said drive) to format it, and reclaim that space for my current PC. However, every time I try to get...
  5. Cannot format USB external drive.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot format USB external drive.: I used a 32GB external USB drive to run a linux distro off. This worked fine but when I wanted to reformat the USB to be used as a normal storage device, it did not appear in the 'Devices and Drivers' part of File Explorer. I attempted to use Disk Management, which it...
  6. Cannot reinstall Windows after formatting drive

Cannot reinstall Windows after formatting drive: Cannot install Windows anymore after wiping my drive I set up my PC as a Hackintosh a couple of months ago and everything has gone very smoothly. But now I need to use some Windows-only programs, so I tried to set up a dual boot, and instead got an error that the recovery...
  7. Error 'cannot format the USB drive'

in Windows 10 Customization
    Error 'cannot format the USB drive': Hello, I have Windows 10 and it does not allow me to format the USB memory ?. Does anyone know why the computer does not allow me to format it? And now it's inaccessible, I tried to format it to factory settings so it's reusable again....
  8. USB DRIVE CANNOT BE FORMATTED

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB DRIVE CANNOT BE FORMATTED: Hi, I had purchased an iBall HYBRID Dual Pen drive but now when I am inserting it into the computer (Win 10 Home Single Lang - 64 Bit) , Windows is first asking me to format the drive. But as I click on the Format button it is displaying an Error Command that "Disk is...
  9. Cannot Format New Drive

Cannot Format New Drive: Well, here we go again. Another problem with another hard drive. I'm going to replace my existing 500GB OS drive in my Dell XPS-17 L702X with a 1TB drive. The drive is a "WD Black 1TB Performance Mobile Hard Disk Drive-7200 RPM SATA 6 GB/s 32 MB Cache 9.5 MM 2.5 Inch...
  10. DVD Drives Quit

DVD Drives Quit: Both DVD drive quit working,is there a easy fix for this? [img] [img] 44300