Windows 10: 'Windows cannot install updates' - program still appearing on C drive but has been moved to...

Discus and support 'Windows cannot install updates' - program still appearing on C drive but has been moved to... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi everyone, I keep getting the 'windows cannot install updates' message as the computer seems to think that there is a program still installed on C... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Beerzy010, Jan 26, 2021.

1. Beerzy010 Win User

'Windows cannot install updates' - program still appearing on C drive but has been moved to...

Hi everyone,

I keep getting the 'windows cannot install updates' message as the computer seems to think that there is a program still installed on C drive that I have already moved.

I previously had a game in the C drive that was taking up a lot of space. I copy + pasted that onto D drive to free up space on C drive. The program still comes up in C drive when I go through the control pannel and navigate to 'apps' -> 'uninstall apps'. Trying to use the uninstall function on the program I get an error message saying something like 'the program cannot be located...' so uninstalling the program from C drive that way can't be done.

Anyone have a way I can fix this? Appreciate any and all help!

:)

Beerzy010, Jan 26, 2021
  2. Anusha Win User

C windows installer folder - Delete?

He can do symbolic link redirection and move the files in it to a different location. *Wink 'Windows cannot install updates' - program still appearing on C drive but has been moved to... ;)
    Better try it out in a virtual of first. Just a suggestion.

Like:
    First move everything in c:\windows\installer to d:\installercache
    Then delete c:\windows\installer folder
    Then type this in command mode as admin
    mklink /d c:\windows\installer d:\installercache

Removing those installer files is a bad idea. it might prevent you from updating or uninstalling apps.

Anusha, Jan 26, 2021
  3. Jacee Win User
    C: Drive disk cleanup

I've already done your suggestions....... yep, need a bigger drive for C: suppose!

Jacee, Jan 26, 2021
  4. 3Colors Win User

'Windows cannot install updates' - program still appearing on C drive but has been moved to...

Windows Updated(16299.309).KB4088776 Restart is required to complete.

Hi dalchina. Good news, I followed your suggestion and reinstalled the update and now it appears as "installed correctly" *Biggrin Maybe it was not necessary to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter or maybe if necessary. But using it I do not think it could have worsened something. The installation was very fast, unlike the first time it showed step 1 and step 2 completed.

Thanks for the suggestions and for the time to respond 'Windows cannot install updates' - program still appearing on C drive but has been moved to... :) Best regards.

And thanks for the tip of that program, I'll have it on my list.

3Colors, Jan 26, 2021
Thema:

1. 'Windows cannot install updates' - program still appearing on C drive but has been moved to... - Similar Threads - 'Windows cannot install

2. Switch C: drive with D: drive and move Program Files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Switch C: drive with D: drive and move Program Files: I have a desktop HP computer tha has a C: drive SSD of 237 GB . Windows 10 is loaded there and by default all Program File and Program Data. The other drive D: is a Hard drive with 931 GB. C: is almost full. How do I move all the Program Files etc to D: and only leave C: only...
  3. C: drive has been moved

C: drive has been moved: My C: drive is now showing as an external drive of the computer. When creating a backup file on Quicken I inadvertently typed a SMALL c: and now it is not recognized as my computer DEVICE. How do I restore it?...
  4. C: drive has been moved

in Windows 10 Gaming
    C: drive has been moved: My C: drive is now showing as an external drive of the computer. When creating a backup file on Quicken I inadvertently typed a SMALL c: and now it is not recognized as my computer DEVICE. How do I restore it?...
  5. C: drive has been moved

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  6. My C Drive has been partitioned!

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    My C Drive has been partitioned!: This might have been caused by something I downloaded - silly me - or not, I really don't know.All of a sudden, my PC won't boot, and tells me there is no accessible boot device. I can run troubleshooting and get to the command prompt.I have unplugged all the USB hard drives,...
  7. Moving installed programs from a non-C drive to C drive

Moving installed programs from a non-C drive to C drive: I recently invested in a 256GB SSD to replace my old mechanical 1TB HDD. The SSD is obviously much smaller than my old HDD, so a while ago (in anticipation of this upgrade) I split my C: drive in to two (a C:\ and an S:\ drive), and symlinked a load of programs/games/etc.,...
  8. Moving installed programs from a non-C drive to C drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Moving installed programs from a non-C drive to C drive: I recently invested in a 256GB SSD to replace my old mechanical 1TB HDD. The SSD is obviously much smaller than my old HDD, so a while ago (in anticipation of this upgrade) I split my C: drive in to two (a C:\ and an S:\ drive), and symlinked a load of programs/games/etc.,...
  9. Cannot move or install apps on drive other than C:

Cannot move or install apps on drive other than C:: I have a small SSD that has windows installed, and a larger SSD and HDD that I use to store the majority of my programs/files. When I try to install a game like Sea of Thieves or Zoo Tycoon on any other drive than my C drive, it fails during the install step. I have tried...
  10. Still Cannot Access Root Drive ( C:\ )

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Still Cannot Access Root Drive ( C:\ ): I need to copy a file into my Windows 10 root drive (C:\). I cannot and get Error 0x80070522. - Found a tool which I really don't want to use since it is for folders and sub-folders. - Turned off User Account Control setting is set to the lowest. - I don't have HomeUsers...